Author Topic: Nino's Coal Fired Pizza  (Read 798 times)

Offline Chaze215

Nino's Coal Fired Pizza
« on: October 12, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »
We went to Nino's tonight and I thought the pizza was very good! The pic of the whole pie was taken with my cell phone and the slice pics I took once I got home and used a real camera. What do you guys think from the pics? Has anyone else been to Ninos here in NJ?

Meatball Parmesan
Nonna's meatballs, San Marzano tomatoes, mozzarella, and ricotta
Chaz

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Nino's Coal Fired Pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
That looks like a great crust and pie.  I like the way they slice he meatballs.  I think I will borrow that idea next time I put meatballs on my pizza.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:12:48 PM »
Looks very tasty. What was the flavor/texture of the crust like?

John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:22:28 PM »
Looks like a really authentic pizza....something you can only get at a good 'ol mom an pop type pizzeria.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:25:43 PM »
Looks very tasty. What was the flavor/texture of the crust like?

John

The crust was very good...a slight crunch on the outside and a nice pillowy texture on the inside. I have yet to have an authentic Neo pie, but Im thinking this is what it would be like.
Chaz

scott123

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 05:40:37 AM »
Chaz, I'm not knocking it, but this is nothing like Neapolitan pizza. Whereabouts on the shore are you located? I'm pretty sure there's authentic Neapolitan up near Asbury Park.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 11:01:48 AM »
Chaz, I'm not knocking it, but this is nothing like Neapolitan pizza. Whereabouts on the shore are you located? I'm pretty sure there's authentic Neapolitan up near Asbury Park.
Chaze said NeO...not NeA.  Please correct me if I don't have this right(I know it sorta gets tossed around quite a bit), but I thought that people are talking about something a 'lil more poofy and char than a NY but not as limp as a NP when they use the word Neo-politan,no? Thanks.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
Chaze said NeO...not NeA. 

I don't remember anyone using the term "Nea." I'm not saying it never happens, but it's not common. To me Neo = NP = Neapolitan.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
I don't remember anyone using the term "Nea." I'm not saying it never happens, but it's not common. To me Neo = NP = Neapolitan.
Thanks, that what I thought too but even the forum glossary spells it neApolitan and lately I've been seeing it spelled (with the a)at many WFO pizza restaurant and mobile business sites.
I believe I've been seeing the words neO and "nearly-politan" being used to indicate the same type of pizza (similar to the one shown in this post) ?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:14:50 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 12:28:57 PM »
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:42:58 PM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 12:39:02 PM »
Neo-NY is the term I was wanting to say(couldn't remember :-[) anyway, I see that combo of words used frequently. I know Nino's is a "coal oven pizza"....but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone call it a Neo-Ny, although that even dark browning of it's crust isn't really what I think of in a Neo-Ny pie(needs more random charring).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:41:42 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
You are right bob.  It's New Haven style.  I think of Neo-NY as more of 3 minute ish pie.  Large with non NY traditional toppings, maybe fresh mozz instead of block mozz.  Something like what Bianco's makes is closer to NP but it's still outside of the traditional back time.  But anyways sorry for the derail.  This is suppose to be a review for Nino's.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
Thanks, that what I thought too but even the forum glossary spells it neApolitan and lately I've been seeing it spelled (with the a)at many WFO pizza restaurant and mobile business sites.

Ummm, because that's how it's spelled...

It's just not typically abbreviated "Nea."  It's not a conspiracy to confuse you.

Speaking only for myself, I use Neo and NP interchangeably. I would not use Neo to describe "Neo-NY."
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 01:46:59 PM »
You are right bob.  It's New Haven style.  I think of Neo-NY as more of 3 minute ish pie.  Large with non NY traditional toppings, maybe fresh mozz instead of block mozz.  Something like what Bianco's makes is closer to NP but it's still outside of the traditional back time.  But anyways sorry for the derail.  This is suppose to be a review for Nino's.

I would respectfully disagree with this. It looks more like NY coal oven style to me. I think it looks more like a Grimaldi's, Lombardi's or Totonno's than New Haven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 02:12:59 PM »
The heat blisters and fresh mozzarella I see in the pic are both things you usually dont find on new haven style pizza.     This pizza looks to be baked in a hotter oven than most of the new haven style places.      To me it seems similar to anthony's coal fired style pizza.... not really authentic NY coal or neapolitan.  They are probably running some sugar in the dough- baked in a modern coal oven (think earthstone) which tend to run pretty hot.   This is all just a guess from looking at the pie of course.        
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 09:35:56 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »
actually, on second look... there is a lot of top heat on this pic.... maybe it is a site built coal oven.   If so its probably a smaller one to develop that much top heat.     

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2012, 02:50:33 PM »
The pictures on their facebook page look to show a site built oven. 
-Jeff

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2012, 06:55:47 PM »
I would respectfully disagree with this. It looks more like NY coal oven style to me. I think it looks more like a Grimaldi's, Lombardi's or Totonno's than New Haven.

You are right Craig.  I associated New Haven style based on the coal oven, but it is closer to a NY coal than a New Haven pie.  Either way it is not Neapolitan and very far from it.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2012, 09:28:55 PM »
The pictures on their facebook page look to show a site built oven. 

Cool... I want one!