Author Topic: Chard on NP?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Jackitup

Re: Chard on NP?
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 12:22:12 AM »
Sounds good....wonder how a collard(not cooked down too much in a garlic,butter, Texas Pete pot liquor) topped with ham hock bits from the pot would turn out...a white pie with Gruyere maybe? Pot liquor drizzle...my snizzle?   8)

Love collards, or any of the greens for that matter. But as you said they WOULD need some par-cooking or very thinly julienned as they are probably they tougher of the bunch, which is why texturally I like them so much and their deep flavor.

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 12:46:46 AM »
Love collards, or any of the greens for that matter. But as you said they WOULD need some par-cooking or very thinly julienned as they are probably they tougher of the bunch, which is why texturally I like them so much and their deep flavor.

jon
Yes, their deep flavor is the draw when released into a good fairly spicy pot liquor. I think that the soul food joints I've been to waaay over cook them almost into mush. Just thought that veg might be good on a NP pie.....along with some shredded ham hock meat.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 12:51:27 AM »
I agree, they need some cooking, and with some smoked meat is the best, but many mush them to death. Thinking of a savory cheese cake or fritatta tomorrow with some greens and capicola, hashbrown crust.....hmmmm

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 01:09:13 AM »
I agree, they need some cooking, and with some smoked meat is the best, but many mush them to death. Thinking of a savory cheese cake or fritatta tomorrow with some greens and capicola, hashbrown crust.....hmmmm

jon
That fritatta option sounds like something my Italian granny would whip up a big pan of an leave under a piece of foil on top of the stove for all to cut a chunk off of throughout everyones comings an goings on a nice lazy Sunday.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"