Author Topic: Target temp for 1/2" steel plate preheat  (Read 1371 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Target temp for 1/2" steel plate preheat
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:01:48 AM »
I have a gas oven that has a broiler on top as well as a broiler compartment underneath.  When I preheat my 16 x 16 x 0.5 steel plate at 530 for 45-60 minutes, the temperature of the plate is generally equal to the temp of the oven itself, about 540-560.  A little before I launch the pizza I'll turn on the top broiler, yada, yada.  I can bake a pizza in 5 minutes with very little char on the bottom and the top is plenty cooked. 

So, is there a target temperature that I should be looking for during the preheat?  Should I just preheat longer?  The plate is currently is about 8 inches away from the top broiler.  I know that if I were to move it lower I could get a higher temperature. 

Thoughts?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online scott123

Re: Target temp for 1/2" steel plate preheat
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
Jonas, is 530 as high as your oven will go?

Go with a 90 minute pre-heat.  Steel, should, in theory, pre-heat very quickly, but I get the feeling that some gas ovens don't put out a lot of BTUs.

What thickness factor and hydration are you working with? Thickness factor can impact bottom color as well.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:19:12 PM »
My oven will go to 550.  I was under the impression that I should not use the max setting as the broiler may not come on? 

My thickness factors are no greater than 0.08, though I can't guarantee that my stretching is perfect.

Online scott123

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 01:27:47 PM »
Yes, 530 is a safe temp to make sure the broiler will stay on during the bake, but I think with your lack of undercrust browning, you need to push the envelope a bit.  Pre-heat the stone on 550 for 90 minutes, turn the oven off for 3 minutes, then launch.

This might rob you a little bit of some broiler time, but you should still see decent top browning in 5 minutes with considerably more undercrust color.

Are you using the broil feature during the entire bake? Is the broiler staying on the whole time?

8" is the second from the top shelf, right? How far is the steel from the broiler on the top shelf? Can you achieve a 5-6" distance?  If so, then you'll be able to use your broiler a bit less, so, if it cuts out,it won't be the end of the world.

How much sugar and oil is in your recipe?

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 02:02:11 PM »
I re-measured.  The distance from the broiler to the plate is under 7 inches and the broiler remains on the entire time.

I've been using this basic recipe:

Water (68 deg.) (60-63.6%)
IDY (0.56%)
Salt (1.75%)
Oil (2.98%)
Sugar (1.05%)

I've been using two different flours. Pendleton Power Flour and Kamut brand Khorosan flour.  I love Kamut flour.  However, since no one else is working with that particular flour, other than my friend at Slicetruck Pizzeria, I'm on my own trying to figure out what the best recipe is. Its max hydration is supposed to be quite high.

Online scott123

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:35:02 PM »
Jonas, any chance you can trim that distance to 5-6"?  If you shorten the distance, you can have the broiler on for less time and thus be less concerned about the broiler cutting out.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 10:41:54 PM »
I can get the plate closer to the broiler, but my instincts tell me that that's going to increase my preheat time even more. 

Online scott123

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 08:20:58 AM »
Jonas, the closer the plate is to the heat source, the faster the pre-heat, but you'll only see the difference by moving it considerably closer.  An inch or two higher isn't going to make any difference.

Offline sebdesn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 07:06:07 PM »
Mysteel plate is 1/4inch thick and on the bottom shelf,set at 550deg when it gets there it,s at 750,makes bottom nice and crisp....
Bud

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 11:45:09 PM »
Mysteel plate is 1/4inch thick and on the bottom shelf,set at 550deg when it gets there it,s at 750,makes bottom nice and crisp....
Bud

Your stone in a 550F oven gets to 750F? That doesn't seem possible to me. How could that be?

Offline sebdesn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »
Your stone in a 550F oven gets to 750F? That doesn't seem possible to me. How could that be?
it s real close to the heating element,and since its thin it gets real hot real fast...and its steel not stone,,,
Bud

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 11:32:22 PM »
So the steel is acting as a barrier to the temp probe that regulates the oven temp.  Interesting.

Couple that with another stone that sits higher up in the oven, you might see some really high temps on the steel - probably too high to fully bake on.  Bake the bottom on the steel and move the pie to the other stone to finish the top.  Like doming in a WFO.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:35:29 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline sebdesn

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
The rack that the plate sits on is 4,1/2inches from thelower heating element,so i think the radiant heat from the element is the reason it gets so hot,that along with the long time it takes to get the oven to 550,I used to do it on a stone ,and it never got near as hot as the thin steel plate.also I am assuming my infra red thermometer is correct,(sez he hopefully)
Bud
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:06:14 PM by sebdesn »