Author Topic: Im going to be in New York wednesday help me pick a neapolitan pizzeria!  (Read 2178 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Hi everyone, I haven't had the time to read all the postings or keep up with the NY area pizza scene in the past few years.     I stopped traveling for work a few years ago so I could have kids, and I just feel out of touch with all the new places in the area.    Last time I was in NYC motorino was the new kid on the block, and I know a lot has changed since then.    I was wondering if you guys could help me pick a neapolitan pizzeria where I can sit down and grab a pie or two with an old friend I never have a chance to see anymore.   I will have my car, and am willing to travel pretty much anywhere.   My schedule is super tight, so I will be driving straight to visit frank at Vesta tomorrow night (tuesday), but I am thinking wednesday night I will try one other pizzeria before I drive back to Boston. I plan on doing a quick stop at Keste at some point to say hi to Roberto (hopefully he will be there), and grab a to go pie, so im looking for any place other than that.     Maybe if im lucky I can do the same with a non neapolitan pizzeria as well, just a drive by pickup at some point.    I think I can probably manage 4 pizzerias in the day and a half I will be there :)       Happy to hear suggestions for non neapolitan as well.   I have already been to a lot of the older places many times, so im not going to bother with johns,patsys,grimaldes,frannys,totonnos, lombardi's,difara,L&b or luzzos.  Whats the deal with this don antonio place.... is it worth it even if im hitting up keste?

Online TXCraig1

Re: Im going to be in New York wednesday help me pick a neapolitan pizzeria!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
Since you are looking for an evening spot, my choice would be Paulie Gee's. And, you can't beat Motorino if you don't want to leave Manhattan.

Hit Pizza Town on the way to or from Vesta.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
Since you are looking for an evening spot, my choice would be Paulie Gee's. And, you can't beat Motorino if you don't want to leave Manhattan.

Hit Pizza Town on the way to or from Vesta.

+1
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline communist

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
Enjoy Scott!  I have hit Keste's twice recently & loved it.   The butternut cream with pine nuts, red peppers and zucchini is superb. Both times I visited recently Roberto was not it but was working on opening his new place in Midtown Manhattan - I think it may be Don Antonio

scott123

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
Pizza Town!!!  ;D

I know that when Don Antonio opened, Roberto was spending pretty much all of his time there, and I assumed that he was eventually going to return to spending more time at Keste, but then this came out a few weeks ago:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/passing-of-the-peel-the-keste-has-a-new-pizzaiola.html?ref=search

I'm not necessarily saying that Roberto won't be at Keste, but, if you want to see him, I'd go to Keste AND Don Antonio, just to cover all the bases. You also might want to give Keste a call today and see where he'll be.

For me, Don Antonio is just Keste+Montanara, along with, I think, a few more topping options.  I know they brought a lot of the toppings over to Keste, but I'm not sure if it was all of them. If Keste didn't have this:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/02/top-this-pistacchio-e-salsiccia-a-la-don-antonio.html

I might go to Don Antonio just for that.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 12:15:49 PM »
Since you are looking for an evening spot, my choice would be Paulie Gee's.

If you're going to do Paulie's, you should swing by Best. I wasn't too terribly impressed on my last trip, but it's still worth trying.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »
thanks guys!   I do like pizza town.    I have been there a few times because its right by my friends studio, but its funny, I never realized it was as good as the crew here makes it out to be.   I have to admit, I was always looking to avoid reheated pizza, so maybe thats why I never realized how great it is.     I will try it again and let them "do their thing" which is the reheat... right?      

scott123

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 12:18:23 PM »
I will try it again and let them "do their thing" which is the reheat... right?      

Re-heat schme-heat  :) You have to get the whole pie, straight from the oven.

If you want some help eating it, my schedule is pretty open  :)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:19:30 PM »
this is all great info!   anyone have any feelings about dough quality between Keste/don antonio?    

scott123

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 12:25:33 PM »
Don Antonio had some growing pains, but I think they worked it out.  John Conklin gives DA his blessing.

Forcella is worth a visit, imo.  I liked the crust there better than Keste or Motorino, although I prefer Keste's and Motorino's toppings.

Wild Rise looks interesting

http://www.wildrise.com/
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/09/wild-rise-jay-street-bar-pizza-dumbo-brooklyn-nyc.html

As far as I know, it's the only commercially available sourdough Neapolitan pizza in NY. Until, of course, David Sheridan's place opens next year:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/09/openings-wheated-ditmas-park-brooklyn.html

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 12:30:28 PM »
oh %$#, forcella sounds very interesting as well.    Im planning on hitting pepe's on the way down and sally's on the way up.....im starting to think I will be gaining at least a few pounds in this very short visit.  

Whats the bake time at some of these places?   I love me a sub minute bake, but i also LOVE a 2 minute bake if the place has figured out how to do it right (usually it isn't done right unfortunately).       im not sure where paulie gee's fits in to this.. .maybe closer to 2 minutes?      

scott123

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
I've never timed Paulie's pies, but I doubt that they're more than 90 seconds. Other than his eclectic toppings, I think Paulie's pizzas are about as Neapolitan as you can get.

scott123

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »
Now that I think about, I would do Don Antonio OR Keste, not both.  Call and find out where Roberto will be and go there.

To that add:

PGs (Hellboy)
Motorino (Brussel Sprouts)
Forcella

For the NY leg.

For NJ, you've got

Pizza Town (whole pie)
Vesta

That's the list, imo.

This is going to be quite a bit further south in NJ, but LoDuca in Somerset does a mean grandma.  Definitely worth the trip if you can travel that far. There's another LoDuca location in Brooklyn (the sons), but I trust the Somerset location (and it's Marsal MB oven) a bit more.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 01:00:03 PM »
DA and Keste are Very Very Similar no need to go to both. I liked Paulie Gees , Montorino (brussel sprouts Pancetta) and forcella  all a great options OH yeah Lest yee forget Robertas!  I loved the vibe, and the pies were very good.
Scott I am due for a visit to Vesta as well what time you gonna be there tuesday night ?? would love to meet up ! Have you been to  Amano ? ould be glad to meet you there as well tues night after . VIP  ;)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 01:01:08 PM »
oh %$#, forcella sounds very interesting as well.  

The have a bad a$$ oven  ;D

Whats the bake time at some of these places?   I love me a sub minute bake, but i also LOVE a 2 minute bake if the place has figured out how to do it right (usually it isn't done right unfortunately).       im not sure where paulie gee's fits in to this.. .maybe closer to 2 minutes?      

PG's is pretty fast ~65ish. I don't think any of these places are sub-60 - at least not when I've been there. Motorino is 2ish. 

Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
Scott I am due for a visit to Vesta as well what time you gonna be there tuesday night ?? would love to meet up !

Ditto  ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06:23 PM »
Is there a 1 scott limit?  :-D

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »
I would love to hook up with you guys!   John, I have been to amano a bunch of times, but all back in the very early days when roberto was manning the oven.  I tried it one more time after he left..... when they were trying to slow down the bake to cater to "local tastes" and it was real ugly.   Im sure its great now agin, but I think my scar is still healing from that mid-period!    

My timing on tuesday night is a little up in the air because I will be driving to NJ during the day, and I might hit traffic.  I was planning on taking my god daughter and her mother to Vesta since its very close to where they live.  I would love to meet up with you guys there, but I think its probably better if im not talking pizza the whole time.   I havent seen them in a few years, so I really want to dedicate that time to them.    

What are you guys doing on wednesday during the day, or maybe even wednesday night?  would you be willing to meet up in the city?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 03:32:59 PM by scott r »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »
Yep for sure ! spend some quality time with them !! and enjoy Vesta its hard not to !Let me ask the boss if I can come on wednsaday? Oh thats me, Yeah sure ! name the place can do wed afternoon in Jersey or whats easiest for you where you will be  from jersey Paulie G? Montorino ? However Would always be happy to see my good friend Roberto  ;)
John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 12:02:00 AM »
Scott, have you been to Eataly? The RossoPomodoro in there is pretty good. You'll probably go bankrupt walking around in there though. If you're going to Keste it's like a 5 minute drive. It's right next to Madison Square Park where the Shake Shack is. And I think the outdoor restaurants are there as well, so the Roberta's trailer will be there most likely.

pizzapan