Author Topic: leftovers  (Read 976 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
leftovers
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:54:17 AM »
no time to fire the WFO and bake this week but still hungry for pizza - dug these out of the freezer and warmed them up just till melty.  quick and easy!  beats the heck out of Dijorno!

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
Re: leftovers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
wheelman, i do the same, after i make pizza for everyone i make about 10 xrta just with sauce and basil, then i freeze them, wen i want some pizza during the week i get one of these pies and put some fresh mozzarella until it melts... like you said beats any delivery pizza shop...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »
I've never frozen wood fired pizza before. How do you store it?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 01:04:53 PM »
I get them out of the WFO and cool them on a cooling rack, after they are cooled i freeze them inside a freezer bag (like a ziplock that fits the hole pizza). wen you want to eat them, get them out 30 minutes before wile you heat up the oven.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
Yummm. I love leftovers. I don't think I've ever bothered to reheat them though.  :-[
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 01:45:17 PM »
I get them out of the WFO and cool them on a cooling rack, after they are cooled i freeze them inside a freezer bag (like a ziplock that fits the hole pizza). wen you want to eat them, get them out 30 minutes before wile you heat up the oven.

Thanks! I'll have to try this one.

Yummm. I love leftovers. I don't think I've ever bothered to reheat them though.  :-[

I take it you're not freezing them, eh? ;)
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
Thanks! I'll have to try this one.

I take it you're not freezing them, eh? ;)

No. I usually end up with about 4 worth of assorted slices. The boys take some for lunches at school. I snack on the rest. It's usually enough to get through Wednesday.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 03:14:46 PM »
I *love* my leftover pizza unheated the next day.  Sometimes I think I like it BETTER that way than fresh  :P  I'm not sure if it's because I can just relax and enjoy eating it, instead of eating while I'm cooking and hosting, or if it actually does taste better the next day.  The crust is softer and the flavors have melded...  I refrigerate it and then just let it come to room temp before eating.  Sure wish I had some now...

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
Andre, good info. on freezing techniques....... thanks....
Paolo

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 03:39:47 PM »
I *love* my leftover pizza unheated the next day.  Sometimes I think I like it BETTER that way than fresh  :P  I'm not sure if it's because I can just relax and enjoy eating it, instead of eating while I'm cooking and hosting, or if it actually does taste better the next day.  The crust is softer and the flavors have melded...  I refrigerate it and then just let it come to room temp before eating.  Sure wish I had some now...

Robyn - I agree completely. Reheated in a toaster oven the dough becomes ridiculously cloud-like and melts away in your mouth. I love the day-after pizza.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 03:41:12 PM »
no time to fire the WFO and bake this week but still hungry for pizza - dug these out of the freezer and warmed them up just till melty.  quick and easy!  beats the heck out of Dijorno!

I hate those weeks! I only get to fire the WFO on the weekends, and if the kids have something going on or (worse) I have to be at some social event, all I can think about is the lost pizza opportunity.

John

Offline scott123

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
I *love* my leftover pizza unheated the next day.  Sometimes I think I like it BETTER that way than fresh  :P

I would say that most of the time I enjoy cold pizza the next morning more than hot pizza the night before. Even if I'm just cooking pizza for myself, it's a tremendous amount of work.  When I'm all done and I've tidied up a bit, and the last pizza has cooled just enough to eat, I'm still hot, tired and not all that hungry.  Sitting down to eat is just not all that thrilling.  The next day, though, after a full night's sleep and I wake up hungry and craving carbs- Oh boy. There's also something incredibly satisfying about taking it straight from the fridge and having the cold crust be a bit chewier than it was the night before.  It gives you something to gnaw on, like a bagel.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 10:19:07 PM »
it works great for us to have a few stuck in the freezer for those nights when dinner sneaks up on us.  we wrap them in wax paper then load into freezer bags.  soon as they're warm enough to melt the cheese it's time to eat!  we even had a good brussels sprouts one last week. 
bill 

pizzapan