Author Topic: Ricotta Pizza?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
Ricotta Pizza?
« on: October 16, 2012, 07:03:24 PM »
I saw this pic on reddit and was very intrigued in the idea of using ricotta cheese on pizza (and meatball is my favorite so that really peaked my interest).  I was just wondering if anybody has experience using ricotta on a pizza and if there is anything I need to pay special attention to?  Looks to me like its a mix of mozz and ricotta.  I believe the pic is from a place in Florida, name slips my mind right now.

http://imgur.com/FYwDj

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Ricotta Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:20:09 PM »
Colin,
Where do you see the mention of toppings? Are you sure that's not gyro meat with feta?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
Where do you see the mention of toppings? Are you sure that's not gyro meat with feta?

Bob,

Colin is correct. If you go to http://www.disalvospizza.com/menu.php and click through to the Gourmet Menu and then click on Read More next to The Stefano, you will see ricotta and meatballs as the toppings.

Peter

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »
Bob,

Colin is correct. If you go to http://www.disalvospizza.com/menu.php and click through to the Gourmet Menu and then click on Read More next to The Stefano, you will see ricotta and meatballs as the toppings.

Peter
Oh...Ok.
Never had a ricotta pie Mr. Rowdy. Had feta an gyro though.... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:36:39 PM »
I you get or make a good ricotta that melts, the pie can be transcendental.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »
I have been eating ricotta on pizza for years. Love it - especially with ground beef. I have not tried it yet on a pie I made at home.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:00:08 PM »
Homemade ricotta, white truffle oil, prosciutto.  ;D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online slybarman

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 09:03:03 PM »
Nice Craig!

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
Very interesting, nice work Craig.

So are there any technique or tips you have?  Need to go lighter or heavier on the ricotta? And did anybody else think from the pics that it looked like there was both mozzarella and ricotta on that pizza?

Sorry was out at dinner but it was straightened out, I was going with meatball as the original poster said it was meatball, basil and ricotta. 

Offline gfgman

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 02:57:10 PM »
I've seen a lot of boardwalk joints that do a white pizza with mozz and sliced tomatoes, and then they dot the top with ricotta.  Many brush it with garlic butter also.  My wife doesn't care for ricotta, so I dot my white pie with some fresh mozz for a similar appearance. 

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 04:00:59 PM »
People seem to either love it or hate it.  I love it, and I often use it on pizzas.  Not infrequently, I am the only one that loves that particular pizza  ;)  One of my favorites is no-red-sauce pizzas with both dry mozzarella and fresh ricotta, topped with fresh basil, parsley, lemon zest, salt and EVOO.  I also love it on a red sauce eggplant pizza, and it's great with jalapenos and other veggie toppings too.  It's lovely on dessert pizzas too, with fruit toppings, and also good with pesto. 

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
Pure decadence: vermont smoked pepperoni with dollops of ricotta. And I am talking new york style with low moisture mozz. One of my favorite pizzas of all time. Crazy amounts of fat, but once every couple of months it is well worth it.

FYI, if you can find the ricotta sold in the metal cups, it is light years ahead of the supermarket tub varieties.

John

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 04:26:44 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to experiment with this next time.  Just ordered some vermont smoked pepperoni yesterday, can't wait for it to get here and to try it with ricotta and meatball.

Offline TheDude

• Ammazza Pizza
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 02:31:10 AM »
I use Grande Dolce on a pizza.  It is a margarita base with the addition of meatball, sausage, and pecorino romano.

It works quite well.  The key with Ricotta is to allow it to drain!  It is very wet by nature, so before use you want to remove it from the container and place it in a drip pan or colander.  The lasagna like curds are desirable and tasty goodness...the water is not.

Offline pignolius

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:15:40 PM »
Pizzeria Mozza in LA stuffs their squash blossoms with ricotta. There is also a place here in Portland that does a Ricotta pie that is a base of mozzarella and dollops of ricotta with oil-cured black olives. Both of these places make a good go at ricotta pizza!

Offline pizzaboyfan

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
To make it easy to spread ricotta, thin it slightly by stirring in a bit of milk.

Offline jwmadchef

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »
I use ricotta on my pizzas all the time. One of my signature pies is a version of a Bianco that I call the "Black and White" We use Ricotta, Fiore di Latte, Grana, basil, sliced garlic and a fermented black garlic infused olive oil. It is truly unique.

I am not that fond of store bought ricotta because it can be a bit grainy and slightly bitter. If you can find a local mozzarella company you want small curds that melt in your mouth and are not grainy. Sometimes it helps to puree them. I use a company called Gioia Cheese out of Southern California. My secret if it is a nice dry ricotta is to add some heavy cream and season with salt and pepper. Then i put it into a piping bag and pipe it onto the pizza.

And if you can find a great quality milk (Strauss Family Farms) you can make your own. The benefit of that is to save the whey and braise pork shoulder in it for a pasta dish.

Good Luck

Offline dineomite

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 03:02:57 AM »
jwmadchef, what ratios do you use cheese to cream? I'm not a fan, but my wife LOVES the ricotta they put on the pies at NYPD Pizza in Philadelphia. I'm fairly certain that's how he does his. It's thick enough for him to put on the pizzas in dollops, but thin enough to where it doesn't stand up like a piece of dry ricotta.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »
Use a thin layer on most of my white pies quite tasty or the dollop method around the pie house fav. of my cus.
craig they use a truffle ricotta at Amano as well working on getting the recipe looks similar to yours of course
John
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:08:18 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline DC8702

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Love ricotta on a pie, I have only used dollops ...need to try it as a base, looks great!

It hard to come by, but sheeps milk ricotta is fantastic if you can find it.

My take on squash blossoms on a pie, I stuffed them prior to putting them on the pizza whereas Mozza does it seperately.  I had a local farmers market that had these for months...late summer into fall.  They were great.