Author Topic: Interesting Oven/Grill design  (Read 725 times)

Offline mnjesse

Interesting Oven/Grill design
« on: April 05, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »
I was browsing around on motherearthnews today and ran into this backyard oven/grill.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/multimedia/image-gallery.aspx?id=2147487892&seq=0#axzz2PbFvvgDV

It has a poor design for neopolitan style pizzas, but does anybody have any ideas about a top that could go over it to get the temperature up a few hundred degrees higher?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
Re: Interesting Oven/Grill design
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 11:02:26 AM »
If you build it the full 3 courses high, it would need a "drop-in" top.  It could set on top of the 3rd course but would be shaped like a "u". The bottom of the "u" which is the new roof would need to be down around the top of the second course. Maybe light gauge steel for the sides and the lip, and heavier plate for the bottom.

That exhaust confuses me. What forces all the smoke to even get back that far, to go up and out of the exhaust?

My $.02
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:06 AM »
If you build it the full 3 courses high, it would need a "drop-in" top.  It could set on top of the 3rd course but would be shaped like a "u". The bottom of the "u" which is the new roof would need to be down around the top of the second course. Maybe light gauge steel for the sides and the lip, and heavier plate for the bottom.

That exhaust confuses me. What forces all the smoke to even get back that far, to go up and out of the exhaust?

My $.02

You must need to cover the open part. Did you click through all the pictures - near the top right where it says "next>"

Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »
I was browsing around on motherearthnews today and ran into this backyard oven/grill.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/multimedia/image-gallery.aspx?id=2147487892&seq=0#axzz2PbFvvgDV

It has a poor design for neopolitan style pizzas, but does anybody have any ideas about a top that could go over it to get the temperature up a few hundred degrees higher?

The pictures show bricks stacked on top to hold in heat.

It's a fairly versatile design, but very sub-optimal if pizza is the main objective. I bet you can bake a better pie in a home oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 12:03:34 PM »
The pictures show bricks stacked on top to hold in heat.

Yes, I saw all the pics.  The stacked bricks are still to tall, thats why i suggested the drop.  Versatility would be the only reason to try and make it work.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends