Author Topic: First pizza since joining the forum  (Read 387 times)

Offline gixxer

• I Love Pizza!
First pizza since joining the forum
« on: March 22, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
So I have been lurking for the better part of a year if not more...  Finally got the chance to make a pizza.  Used Norma's 70% hydration Detroit style dough recipe, only difference is I did not let the dough proof long enough, so I think.  The slice was still "fluffy", just not all that airy.  But I am thankful it wasnt a brick either.  Used KABF.  The slice was about 1/2" tall, the TF was .128.  Thats what makes me think I didnt let it proof long enough, it seemed a little thin when I shaped the dough to the pan then I let it proof, it never really rose all that much.  I was thinking oven spring would make the difference.  I need to use more crisco on the sides of the pan cause the cheese stuck pretty good.  Bottom released fine.  Sauce needs some work, was just a bit bitter.  I used a can of Cento certified, trimmed and strained seeds, hit it with the stick blender, and added 1 tsp sugar, a dash of garlic powder, sea salt, italian seasoning, and black pepper.  Then right before the bake I felt that the sauce was a little thin so I used one of those permanent coffee filters and removed some of the water till it was a consistency that seemed thick enough (super educated form of measurement, look it up).  Even with the sugar it still was a bit bitter.  Ultimately, the pizza tasted great!  dough flavor was great, it wasn't a brick, and my son loved it!  But there was a light bitter aftertaste.  Guess I need more sugar.  Next time I will make sure to let the pan proof longer.

Offline gixxer

• I Love Pizza!
Re: First pizza since joining the forum
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 09:40:47 PM »
Forgot to add...  Cooked the pizza at 500 on a stone for 8 minutes.  I wasnt exactly going for a fried bottom, I was happy with the browning.  Still had a light crunch to it.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 10:37:32 PM »
Tim,

You did well for your first pizza.  Proofing more should help to create a lighter texture.  How long did you proof in the pan?  Did you proof at all with your oven light on in the oven?  My dough is thin in the pan before it proofs.  What type of pan did you use?

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gixxer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 11:08:32 PM »
I used a nonstick steel 8x11 pan that the wife happened to have.  I think it's a Wilton.  I proofed for one hour on the warm cooktop from the oven heat.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 08:03:41 AM »
I used a nonstick steel 8x11 pan that the wife happened to have.  I think it's a Wilton.  I proofed for one hour on the warm cooktop from the oven heat.

Tim,

Thanks for telling what kind of pan you used.  You could watch the dough to see if it rises more (during the proof), if you decide to make the same kind of pizza again.  I am curious about the percentage of IDY you used.

Norma

Offline gixxer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 12:52:51 PM »
For sure I am going to do this again, I want to get the workflow and measurements down before I move on to other things.  I used ADY at .8%, I did not proof the yeast in warm water first, I mixed the yeast straight in the water at room temperature and then mixed the rest of the dough ingredients.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 06:04:10 PM »
For sure I am going to do this again, I want to get the workflow and measurements down before I move on to other things.  I used ADY at .8%, I did not proof the yeast in warm water first, I mixed the yeast straight in the water at room temperature and then mixed the rest of the dough ingredients.

Tim,

You might want to look at the yeast conversion table, unless you already know how much ADY to use. 

http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm? 

ADY is usually activated by proofing in warm water.  Did you cold ferment your dough for one day or use it when you thought it was ready?

Norma

Offline gixxer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 07:23:24 PM »
Wow I left out so much info!  I did 24 hours in the fridge then room temp for an hour.  I need to learn the relationship between yeast amount and length in the fridge.  I had read that too much yeast or too much time in the fridge is not good for the dough.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 07:49:33 PM »
Wow I left out so much info!  I did 24 hours in the fridge then room temp for an hour.  I need to learn the relationship between yeast amount and length in the fridge.  I had read that too much yeast or too much time in the fridge is not good for the dough.

Tim,

That's okay if you left out some information.  When I normally make a Detroit style pizza I take the dough right out of the fridge and press it into a pan, or either have the dough ball in the pan for the one day cold ferment.  Since I am using a higher hydration than you did, my dough would get too sticky if I would let it warm up much.  I don't know where you read that too much yeast or too much time in the fridge is not good for pizza dough.  Maybe your dough would over ferment if you used too much yeast, but actually if you use about the right amount of yeast pizza dough can be cold fermented for many days.  Most members like the taste of a pizza crust with a longer cold fermented dough than one day.  I don't think that is necessary for a Detroit style dough though.  Final dough temperature also is taken into consideration on how fast the dough will ferment.  Hydration is also another factor.

Craig did some charts to help predict how much, ADY, IDY or Cake Yeast to use.  I think the latest one is at Reply 202 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26831.msg355933#msg355933

Norma

Offline gixxer

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 10:25:50 PM »
I did happen to look at that chart briefly before.  Need to go back and look at it more closely.  Funny we are talking about how my first pie came out and the pizza bible happens to show up at my door!  How bout that.  Well I plan on cooking another pizza on Sunday so let's see what the changes do!  I appreciate the help, thank you!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:39 AM »
Tim,

Good luck with your bake on Sunday. 

Norma

pizzapan