Author Topic: Sicilian Pizza Formula  (Read 3438 times)

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Sicilian Pizza Formula
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 07:45:55 PM »
Jeff,

I leave it risen because I like my Sicilians on the taller side  :-D
Mary Ann

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 07:47:21 PM »
Ok thanks I am just now ready to sauce my first one up I've ever made.  Thanks and good timing on the response.  We'll see how it goes….
Jeff

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 07:53:19 PM »
Good luck.  I can't wait to see some pix.
Mary Ann

Online jvp123

• Supporting Member
  • Learning and loving it!
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 08:00:11 PM »
Already messed up a bit out of habit and put the cheese on with the sauce.  I took off as much as I could and am just rolling with it.  It sort of has half the cheese on now as its baking the first pass.  Will post pics good or bad.
Jeff

Offline RICO

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 01:00:10 AM »
Thank you for the recipe, it worked very well for me.  I'll try to post a picture or two if I can figure out how to do that.

Offline RICO

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 02:51:22 AM »
The hardest part of this type of pizza for me is stretching it to fit the pan uniformly (without creating thin spots).  So I just let it rise in the 1 1/8" high pan (13 x 19";  I adjusted the formula accordingly) and gently stretched it without filling the pan (focaccia pizza, basically).  And this is cheating, of course, but it was still great and I will try again.  Thank you, again!  Oh, and it rose well above the rim of the pan, but that was no problem.

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 01:47:56 PM »
Wait 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Is that even possible? ::)

One day I am going to make one of these pies. Right now I keep making a rather thin crusted delight that I cut exactly 10 seconds after I get it out of the oven and eat it about 30 seconds after that.  Not sure about this 5-10 minute delay you have going here, but maybe the thicker dough warrants a waiting period.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2014, 11:05:55 AM »
Wait 5-10 minutes before slicing.

Is that even possible? ::)

One day I am going to make one of these pies. Right now I keep making a rather thin crusted delight that I cut exactly 10 seconds after I get it out of the oven and eat it about 30 seconds after that.  Not sure about this 5-10 minute delay you have going here, but maybe the thicker dough warrants a waiting period.

Haha David!  I usually wait to let it cool down a little mainly because I don't want the molten lava cheese burning my kids' mouths.  ;)
Mary Ann

Offline Gags

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 11:50:23 AM »
I tried Mary Ann's recipe this weekend and ran into some trouble.
In fact, I should've taken pix of the pizza for the wall of shame thread!   :-D

I had 2 pans, one had enough vertical space to allow for topping, the other didn't, so it got repurposed into focaccia.

I followed the pizza instructions to the letter, but when I tried removing it from the pan, it had the same consistency as a soaking wet car washing sponge!
Maybe the sauce was too wet?  Maybe I shouldn't have put a normal dose of sauce on for the first baking stage?
Have you experienced that?  (Sorry - I know pix would help)

Here are a couple of the focaccia, so I know the dough was good.
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »
Gags,

The crumb shot looks fantastic.  I used to have the soggy problem before I got my Lloyd's pan.  I bought a SS pan from Amazon that would not achieve an even bake no matter what I tried with my oven.  Unfortunately, I had to chuck it and buy the Lloyd's pan.  A costly purchase  :'(

Because of the high hydration of this dough, it is very possible that the weight of the sauce caused one of the bubbles in the dough to burst and soak up the sauce.  It has happened to me a few times and I have had a soggy crust in a spot or two.  Then I figured out if I let the dough relax enough to even it out in the pan with a periodic gentle stretching with my fingertips before cold fermentation, I should be able to avoid uneven stretching and possibly tearing the dough right before baking, which could also cause sogginess.  Does that make sense to you?  Hope this helps.
Mary Ann

Offline Gags

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
Thank you much for the quick reply. Mary Ann!

The ill-fated pizza was done in a smallish (~8"x10") Detroit Pizza Co. pan.

What you said about the sauce makes total sense!
When I was applying the sauce, its weight was causing other sections to bubble up.
I was thinking those could be an issue, so I slit them with some kitchen scissors - thus compromising the surface!!  :-[

Other than that, everything looked okay through the first bake phase.
Even when I applied the cheese, it held its structure.

But upon first scrape of the spatula, I noticed one section quickly deflated! 
That's when I knew something was wrong. 
So this soggy mess went on to a wire rack.  Or I should say THROUGH the wire rack! 

I'll give it another shot soon, use the sauce sparingly in the first bake and not snip the bubbles!!

(And I'll continue to do half as focaccia, just in case I mess it up again!)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:21:16 PM by Gags »
"I'd trade it all for just a little bit more"

pizzapan