Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 42195 times)

Offline PizzaBinge

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2014, 11:48:13 PM »
Just wanted to give a huge thank you to steel_baker, this recipe and the video were massively helpful.  My first attempt at a Sicilian pie was mediocre at best and this one came out fantastic.  No wonder this is one of your favorites after all your travels - truly delicious.  Thanks again, cheers!

Note for any of the beginners out there, I hand-kneaded the dough and hand chopped the onions.  No tools required!

Hey pwc123, that's a good looking product you have there! What kind of pan are you using?

James

Offline pwc123

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »
Hey pwc123, that's a good looking product you have there! What kind of pan are you using?

James

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001VH70WM/?tag=pizzamaking-20

As steel_baker mentioned, this pan will do the trick but I'd recommend getting a deeper one if you're going to be making this style regularly. Then you don't have to worry about oil overflow or anything at all.

Offline PizzaBinge

« Reply #242 on: March 14, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »
I generally prefer this style of pizza with onions and w/o toppings, but I've been experimenting lately (and feeding my coworkers), and here are a few pics:

Brussel sprout and bacon, ham and cheese (cheddar and American), BBQ chicken, chicken-bacon-ranch, pepperoni, sloppy joe, and plain cheese
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 09:52:42 AM by PizzaBinge »

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #243 on: March 14, 2014, 11:04:57 AM »
Hey s_b, I haven't been on here in a little while, I was wondering who the victor was, you or the altitude. By the looks of that cut I'd definitely say that it is you! Were you able to get it back to how it was 100%?

James

Actually, at this point... I won. I've found now that the combination of high altitude & junky rental condo oven, I have to bake the tray with sauce & no cheese for 12-13 minutes at the bottom rack position, then pull it, top with cheese & finish for another 3-5 minutes. This gives me the nice browned crispy crust I'm looking for without burning the cheese. I'm hoping that once we get our house built and have a quality oven again, I won't need to pre-bake at all. I have found so far that the high altitude here makes it tough to really brown & crisp up baked goods so I may still end up having to pre-bake.... but I hope not.
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #244 on: March 14, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
I generally prefer this style of pizza with onions and w/o toppings, but I've been experimenting lately (and feeding my coworkers), and here are a few pics:

Brussel sprout and bacon, ham and cheese (cheddar and American), BBQ chicken, chicken-bacon-ranch, pepperoni, sloppy joe, and plain cheese

Those trays all look great. Once you know how to make this crust, you can do anything with it. I've made focaccia bread with it before. I just increased the hydration to about 75%, used more oil in the dough, then dimple the top and top it with sea salt, rosemary, & olive oil. Had it with some italian entrees & received rave reviews.

steel_baker  :chef:

Offline stmichael911

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: May 16, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
Pictures are of my third try with a Victory Pig Style Pizza...Going to try an increase in thickness (33 %) thinking NEPA (North East Pa) Scranton squares are about that much more higher.  Worked the calculations  today and hope I don't overflow my pan.

Interested in a cold fermentation process and opinions of benefit for Victory Pig Style Crust..

I should have noted that I used two different blends of cheeses on this pizza as I'm trying to nail down some unique flavors I enjoy from Scranton Pizza Places
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:29:16 PM by stmichael911 »

Offline stmichael911

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #246 on: July 02, 2014, 09:05:54 AM »
Pictures are of my third try with a Victory Pig Style Pizza...Going to try an increase in thickness (33 %) thinking NEPA (North East Pa) Scranton squares are about that much more higher.  Worked the calculations  today and hope I don't overflow my pan.

Interested in a cold fermentation process and opinions of benefit for Victory Pig Style Crust..

I should have noted that I used two different blends of cheeses on this pizza as I'm trying to nail down some unique flavors I enjoy from Scranton Pizza Places

I settled for a 10% increase from the original Thickness Factor and am pleased with it! :)

Offline bigMoose

• Kneading is Happiness!
« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2014, 10:09:35 AM »
I made this last night.  Was a bit concerned how slack the dough was, and how much oil was in the pan...  Had a bit of difficulty stretching it out, as it had a mind of its own.  At the proper time, finally got the pan full of dough.  Was not sure it would bounce in the oven.

Then the magic happened in the oven.  All ended just like the pictures above.  Good oven spring, incredible balance of simple ingredients.  Topped with sharp cheddar and motz.  Put more cheddar around edges to brown against the pan.  Used 7 11 and fine diced onion and just a bit of Italian Oregano.

Wife loved it and said it has to be part of my 3 pizza sampler that we prepare for new guests.

pizzapan