Author Topic: Sticking to pan...help!!  (Read 359 times)

Offline sperandeo

• I Love Pizza!
Sticking to pan...help!!
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:13:16 PM »
I have been using stainless sheet pans for my sicilian pizza. I oil the pan very well but because I'm stretching out the pizza in the pan it tends to push out some of the oil which then causes some spots to stick to the pan. I used to use non-stick pans and never had an issue. I don't want to use non-stick anymore because I want to avoid the coating. Any suggestions?

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Sticking to pan...help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 12:23:29 PM »
Have you tried shortening?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:41:55 AM »
sperandeo,

Did you ever try to open your dough on the bench with oil until it is the desired size?  Opening dough with oil on the bench and maybe even on top of the dough is very easy.

Norma

Offline sperandeo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 05:58:21 AM »
My dough for my pan recipe is very moist and it would be very. Difficult to open it on the bench and then transfer it to a pan.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 07:23:08 AM »
sperandeo,

I don't know if this will help you if you are using oil as the lubricant to grease your pans, but at Reply 582
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=3783.msg266486#msg266486 Chefcurt posts that a rest is needed between stretches in the pan.  The Detroit style dough is a fairly sticky dough.

I have seen Tony Gemignani  adding a rest between stretches when a fairly high amount of oil is used in a pan for a Sicilian doughs.

At Reply 1394 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg234765#msg234765 (5th photo down), it can be seen how using something like Craig's suggestion to use Buttery Flavored Crisco can help with pressing a higher hydration dough in a steel pan.  That dough hydration is about 75% or a little higher.  That dough then was proofed before baking after it were pressed the whole way in the pan.

You might want to season your stainless sheet pans too.

Maybe if post some photos or your recipe more members can help.

Norma

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2015, 08:52:31 AM »
You may want to use parchment paper if you have high hydration dough and oils/shortening don't work. 
Mitch

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 02:22:31 PM »
I have been using stainless sheet pans for my sicilian pizza. I oil the pan very well but because I'm stretching out the pizza in the pan it tends to push out some of the oil which then causes some spots to stick to the pan. I used to use non-stick pans and never had an issue. I don't want to use non-stick anymore because I want to avoid the coating. Any suggestions?

If you have them seasoned right a light oil coating will keep them from sticking. We season all our cold rolled steel pans and it takes a few bakes even after they are nice and blackened before they stop sticking.  Once we hit that point they pop out when par baked by simply tilting them and giving them a little bang to release the dough and on final bake come out with no sticking using a small metal peel.  Walter

Offline sperandeo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »
What's the best way to season the stainless steel pan?

Offline waltertore

• The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 02:00:29 PM »
What's the best way to season the stainless steel pan?

We use the reinforced cold rolled steel pans.  They rust instantly with water if not seasoned.  I never used stainless steel but here is the routine for the cold rolled steel.  Wipe the entire pan (top/bottom/sides) with veg oil.  Bake in oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes and then another 15-20 minutes at 450.  We let them cool and do this routine a few times before baking a pie in them.  Make sure you lightly oil them with a paper towel or they will get sticky when done.   Before par baking we oil the pans and bake.  They usually stick for the first few bakes and I often make a quick rise dough to bake so as they are good to go with the good dough.  Walter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 05:29:22 PM by waltertore »

Offline sperandeo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 06:11:30 PM »
Thanks so much for the detailed info Walter.

I have been thinking about trying parchment, my only concern is whether I can still get that nice oily crust if I use parchment. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 09:54:59 PM »
sperandeo,

You might want to look at Tom Lehmann's reply at PMQ Think Tank about seasoning the outside of your pan.  http://thinktank.pmq.com/threads/how-to-season-pizza-tins.8016/#post-55383  That thread might help you.

Norma

pizzapan