Author Topic: Trying Out Pan / Detroit Style - Need Suggestions  (Read 485 times)

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
Trying Out Pan / Detroit Style - Need Suggestions
« on: March 16, 2016, 10:17:41 AM »
I want to make some cheesy bread for a party with this style of dough.

Was thinking about using this formula with 61hr CF, 3hr room temp warm up, and 5hrs room temp in pan before baking.

Flour - 100%
Water - 62%
IDY - .791%
Salt - 2%
Sugar - 2%
Oil - 2%

I'm open to suggestions on the percents above, i'm more concerned about the fermentation time and open to suggestions for that.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Trying Out Pan / Detroit Style - Need Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 05:00:08 PM »
That's a huge amount of yeast. How did you come up with 0.791%? For 61 hours cold + 8 hours warm, I'd think more like 0.25%. The hydration is on the very low side for DS but would work. It might be a bit hard to fit the dough to the pan. I'd probably use 3% oil.

Personally, I think you would likely make a better pizza with an 8 hour room temp ferment.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
I was browsing around and someone had a formula for ady and I converted it to idy.
It seemed very high to me but I wasn't 100% sure.  Then I had seen others using .8% idy in there recipes so I thought maybe I wasn't nuts haha.

I was thinking about bumping it down after looking at the yeast chart and doing a 24hr room ferment. 
I might try the 8hr though per your suggestion.  I was trying to think of when I'll be available to make the dough and get it ready for when we want to eat.

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 09:31:12 AM »
I ended up doing a 27hr room temp (around 70deg) ferment then 4hrs in the pan.  I did up the Oil to 3% and dropped the yeast way down.

Used an Oil Oil, Melted Butter, minced garlic with a 50/50 blend of mozzarella / provolone, with parm cheese.

Everyone loved it as did I which made me pretty happy.

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 07:08:09 PM »
I ended up doing a 27hr room temp (around 70deg) ferment then 4hrs in the pan.  I did up the Oil to 3% and dropped the yeast way down.

Used an Oil Oil, Melted Butter, minced garlic with a 50/50 blend of mozzarella / provolone, with parm cheese.

Everyone loved it as did I which made me pretty happy.

Those are my cheesy breads!  :-D  You Ohio folk need to stop spying on us Indiana folk.  Though I add a bit of salt to the cheese blend.  ;)

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 08:57:22 AM »
Those cheesy breads look good! what kind of pan did you use and how did you cook them?

Offline Trossite

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 04:22:08 PM »
Those cheesy breads look good! what kind of pan did you use and how did you cook them?

When i get home i'll look this up as i don't remember off the top of my head.  It was just a non stick cookie sheet that we have around 11.5"x14" i think.
I think it cooked for like 14min or so.  I'll get the specifics on cooking time as i'm pretty sure i wrote down what i did so i could make it again later.

I've thought about buying some actually deep dish pizza pans, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

wordpress