Author Topic: My Sicilian Pizza Project (with Micucci's Grocery/Slab as a goal)  (Read 1934 times)

Offline jonathan.copeland

I have started working on a high-hydration square-pan pizza dough the last week or so.

Initially I was going two-pronged, with a dough similar to JohnnyTheGent's in reply #12

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=37321.0

as one prong...and using some information regarding Micucci's I gleaned from the internet as the other prong.

I have since abandoned the JohnnyTheGent dough, as it was very good, but just a bit too similar to a regular pizza dough than I was looking for. It was bready and chewy, which was great, but I am searching for something more tender and light.

Attached are photos of my first to Micucci-inspired doughs. The first is a red sauced pie where I literally just strained Cento San Marzano tomatoes through a colander...Using the the liquid as the sauce, and then milling the whole tomatoes, and using the chunks as a topping. Thickness factor is .15 but I think the dough was a bit underworked, and could have spent more time proofing in the pan.

The second is slightly higher in hydration and a longer pan proof and a .17 thickness factor. After eating 4 pizzas the day before, I went with something non-traditional. Caramelized onions with Garlic and Anchovy topped with Fried Cauliflower and Pecorino.

I have a third batch of dough going today, and am trying to extend the proof time, and reduced the thickness factor to .16.

This dough has a more tender, cakey, pleasingly light texture than a normal pizza dough. You can just keep eating and eating it.

Re: My Sicilian Pizza Project (with Micucci's Grocery/Slab as a goal)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
Todays dough proofed in bulk for 6.5 hours; pre-shaped for 20 minutes; then proofed in the pan for 1.5 hours.

Feel l like I can still reduce thickness factor from .16, now that the dough seems to have more lift.

Biggest issue is the oven just doesn't get hot enough. I think I could have baked it for a minute or two longer, but I want a hotter heat.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
Good looking pies. Pretty high hydration?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 01:44:25 PM »
Good looking pies. Pretty high hydration?

Thank you! The third take was my best, and I think I will trend down to a .14-.15 thickness factor for my next round.

Hydration is 90%.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 01:28:11 PM »
Take 4.

Similar dough though I added 2% barley malt and reduced thickness factor to .14

Overall, beautiful undulations, light and airy dough.
I didn't eat it right away, but 40 minutes after coming out of the oven it was not crispy at all. Is this normal?
Probably will reduce the thickness factor again to ,13 or .12.

Pizza reheated amazingly well. Came out of the oven crispy, but still pillowy and light in the crumb.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 02:58:03 PM »
And reheated the next day.

Nice and crisp, dough still soft, light and airy.

Offline tpop79

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
I'm trying to get the same style, just went to Portland last week and had the Slab pizza from Slab, Lanzalottas latest restaurant.  Can you share the recipe and techniques?  Thanks

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:21:20 AM »
I'm trying to get the same style, just went to Portland last week and had the Slab pizza from Slab, Lanzalottas latest restaurant.  Can you share the recipe and techniques?  Thanks

I thought whoa, theres a Sicilian shop in portland? how do I not know? But its in Maine not Oregon  :-D

Your pizza does look good, have you tried extending the bulk fermentation time to an overnight?

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 11:17:15 PM »
I thought whoa, theres a Sicilian shop in portland? how do I not know? But its in Maine not Oregon  :-D

Your pizza does look good, have you tried extending the bulk fermentation time to an overnight?

I have done a lot of 2 and 3 day bulk fermentation doughs in the past, especially with 3-4 minute bake, NY-Neapolitan hybrid pies that I was doing at a restaurant I was chef at. For this dough in particular, I was trying to recreate the Slab/Micucci's pizza and all the info I read about him was that it was a pretty quick dough. Every attempt I made with this dough had one thing in common...I truly believe they were better once reheated. The differentiation between the crust and crumb was much more satisfying.

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 01:03:42 PM »
Still diligently working on a pan pizza, whether it's DS or Sicilian or Micucci's I can't be sure. But what I am going for is something crisp on the outside and light and pillowy on the inside. I want something that you can eat and eat and eat and not feel stuffed.

This time I went heavy on durum flour and par-baked the pizza for a few minutes with a thin veneer of tomato sauce. I got the crispness I desired, but felt the crumb was a bit too tight. All in all a sloppy, delicious pizza.

Offline jeff v

• Supporting Member
  • I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 01:09:04 PM »
They look great. What type of flour are you using in addition to the durum?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
They look great. What type of flour are you using in addition to the durum?

Thank you very much.

I used AP for the one yesterday; but today I am switching to bread flour which I believe I used in most of the previous photos.