Author Topic: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA  (Read 60073 times)

Offline steel_baker

Re: Victory Pig Style Pizza - Northeastern PA
« Reply #340 on: February 09, 2015, 11:25:13 PM »
I made three of these pizzas this weekend.  Fantastic.  Just beautiful.  Taste and texture were wonderful.  Never had VP -- I live in Idaho and grew up in Florida -- but this just blew people away.  First time I used a scale to measure ingredients and it made a huge difference.  I was a little concerned about elevation (I'm at about 3000 feet here in Boise) but I think it was fine. 

Thank you steel_baker and other contributors in this thread -- I really appreciate it.  I'm a total cooking freak -- I cook all sorts of things from all over the world, but very little beats pizza and fried chicken, and this was a memorable pizza.  The attention to detail that you all have really makes a difference.

A million thanks.

rOB

Glad you enjoyed it. It's a unique style that I grew up with. Many people who grew up in that area have tried to duplicate it for decades after growing up & leaving. I don't claim it's a perfect duplicate but I will say it's pretty damn close. The best part is that once you know how to make the dough, you can top it any way you want & develop some amazing flavor profiles.

Keep baking!

steel_baker  :chef:

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #341 on: April 12, 2015, 06:44:39 PM »
The Pig is loose!

I had some dough that was a bit overfermented, and I thought this style might be able to work in spite of that.
It turned out pretty good...the crust was a little more chewy this time and had a slight sourness.
It was like a SD Victory Pig.
(I know, its round)  ;)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 06:47:32 PM by woodmakesitgood »
Charles

Offline steel_baker

« Reply #342 on: April 12, 2015, 07:27:18 PM »
Looks great. My original experiments while figuring out the dough was done in round cast iron skillets. The shape doesn't matter.

I did a chicken fennel sausage & hatch green chile tray for this evening. Made one last evening for dinner guests & it was so good, we had to make another today! Sausage is homemade from boneless skinless chicken thighs. Grind 'em up in the food processor, add some fresh ground fennel seed to it & saute' until cooked. The green chiles are....well just cleaned & chopped roasted hatch green chiles. We buy a case every year when green chile season comes along & freeze them so we have them all year long. In addition, we infused a few ozs of EVOO with freshly chopped garlic to drizzle on to finish topping the tray.

The richness of the sausage & the low & slow burn of the mild green chiles is pulled together by the garlic oil & creamy white cheddar. This pizza is absolutely decadent with strong flavors on a crispy crust. It's become one of our real favorites to make on the VP style crust.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:29:26 PM by steel_baker »
steel_baker  :chef:

Offline woodmakesitgood

• You gots to cook it strong!
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:17 PM »
That flavor combo sounds delicious!
Charles