Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 134548 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2080 on: March 01, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »
Thanks, Norma!  And thanks for the early guidance.  After posting I've realized I am in waaaaay over my head so I need to do a heck of a lot more reading before getting my hands dirty.  For now, I'm attempting this recipe which is more my speed at this point: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-square-pan-pizza-dough-recipe-sicilian-recipe.html

Even with this recipe the dough seems too dry, so I've upped the water ratio to 75%.  Anyway, I'll stop derailing your glorious thread and get to learning. 

Hope you have a nice weekend,
Pete

Pete,

In no time you will get up to speed if you read enough here on the forum.  ;) If you understand hydrations and upping them you already have a good knowledge of what to do.  ;D  Best of luck with the recipe you are trying!

Hope you post your results.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2081 on: March 05, 2014, 09:27:32 AM »
Detroit style pizzas made at almost the end of the evening.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2082 on: March 06, 2014, 11:36:37 AM »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2083 on: March 06, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
Norma,

Maybe Shawn Randazzo has mentioned it before but in the article you referenced he said that the hydration for the DS type dough should be "around 70% or more". What hydration value are you currently using at market.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:18:48 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2084 on: March 06, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »
Norma,

Maybe Shawn Randazzo has mentioned it before but in the article you referenced he said that the hydration for the DS type dough should be "around 70% or more". What hydration value are you currently using at market/

Peter

Peter,

I could be wrong, but I thought Shawn Randazzo mentioned using at least a hydration of around 65% before.  I really don't know what hydration I am using now.  My dough formulation print out sheets use 75% hydration but I always add more water to the first and second mix depending on how wet I think the dough is and how the flour is.  I have pretty much learned how the dough should feel during the first and second mix and if I would be able to work with that wetter dough.  I would think if other employees (other than someone that is trained by Shawn) would just be learning to make a Detroit style dough they would have to learn how to mix and handle a dough that is higher than 70% in hydration.  I know at first I did not want to go much over 71% hydration until you pushed me to 75% hydration.  :-D

I also thought what Wes Pikula said about the brick cheese being similar to mild white cheddar was interesting.  The mild white cheddar I finally found for the boardwalk style pizzas really worked well for me on the Detroit style pizzas too.  That was a stroke of luck for me.

I still am not near at a level where a lot of pizza business are with offering Detroit style pizzas, but each week it seems like I sell more Detroit style pizzas and new customers hear about my Detroit style pizzas from former customers.  I am curious what warmer weather will bring.  At least once the dough is made the Detroit style pizzas are easy to make.  I am happy I went on this journey and thanks for all of your help in making the Detroit style pizzas happen for me at market.

What Wesley Pikula said in the article I thought was interesting.

Wesley Pikula, vice president of operations for Buddyís Pizza, described the defining features of Detroitís original square pizza. ďWe place the pepperoni under the cheese, in part to flavor the crust, and so it doesnít burn during the cooking process,Ē he said. ďWe use brick cheese fromWisconsin (a medium-soft cheese similar to a white cheddar), and we place the sauce on top of all the ingredients.Ē

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2085 on: March 14, 2014, 12:22:47 PM »
This article is about Dr. McGeorge sharing his gluten-free eating experiences, but it also goes into the kitchen of Buddy's pizza at about 2 minutes 22 seconds into the video to show what Buddy's pizza does so there is no contamination between their gluten-free pizzas and their other pizzas.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/lifestyle/health/dr-mcgeorge-shares-his-glutenfree-experience/-/2300442/24960808/-/q43ji6z/-/index.html   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2086 on: March 19, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »
Recent article about Via 313 and the Hunt brothers.  http://austin.eater.com/archives/2014/03/19/via-313s-brothers-hunt-talk-detroitstyle-pizza-in-austin.php  I have seen recently they have gotten a lot of rave reviews.  Kudos to them!  8)

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2087 on: March 20, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
There is a link at the bottom of the article that Norma referenced that takes one to other Via313 articles at http://austin.eater.com/tags/via-313.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2088 on: March 20, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »
Peter,

Other direct link articles on the web recently about Via 313.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/2014/3/17/the-5-best-things-zach-brooks-ate-at-sxsw 

http://eater.com/archives/2014/03/17/the-38-essential-pizzerias-across-america-march-2014.php 

http://austin.eater.com/archives/2014/03/17/vote-for-austins-best-pizza-round-one.php

I think Via 313 is better at promoting Detroit style pizza than the Detroit Style Pizza Co is.   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2089 on: April 04, 2014, 08:10:27 AM »
I thought this was an interesting article about Buddy's Pizza.  I found the article on facebook posted as their ďthrowback ThursdayĒ.

http://www.corpmagazine.com/break-room/picture-that/throwback-thursdays/thank-the-supreme-court-for-everything-that-makes-buddys-pizza-so-delicious/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2090 on: April 06, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
Brown Dogís Detroit-style Brooklyn Bridge pizza wins at International Pizza Challenge.

http://www.telluridenews.com/articles/2014/04/06/business/doc533f397373c8f254892047.txt   

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2091 on: April 06, 2014, 11:24:48 PM »
They look so happy.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2092 on: April 09, 2014, 09:23:36 PM »
I used a bigger Detroit style dough ball and a bigger steel pan for some garlic bread sticks.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2093 on: April 09, 2014, 11:39:14 PM »
 :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2094 on: April 29, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »
Today members of a family came to market and saw the Detroit style pizzas that are offered at market.  They did talk to me and said they lived in Detroit for a long while and now live in our area for about the same amount of time they did live in Detroit.  They asked about the Detroit style pizzas and purchased three whole Detroit style pizzas after eating slices.  They all said my Detroit style pizzas do taste just like Buddy's fresh pizzas.  I was happy to hear that because I never really had customers that had actually tried fresh Buddy's pizzas.  The one lady said she is soon going to Detroit to visit again and she will be visiting Buddy's and purchasing Buddy's pizzas.  She said she would bring me a souvenir from Buddy's.  The family was so happy that I offer Detroit style pizzas near where they live now.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2095 on: April 30, 2014, 10:24:04 AM »
That's great Norma....what it's all about!  :chef:

CB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2096 on: April 30, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
That's great Norma....what it's all about!  :chef:

CB

Bob,

It was the help of the other Buddy's thread (and all of the members that contributed there) in combination with a by chance try of Trenton Bill recipe, along with Peter's help that I could make a decent Detroit style pizza.

I was waiting for someone to try my Detroit style pizzas that have actually have been to a Buddy's.  I am interested in what she thinks of Buddy's pizzas after tasting my Detroit style pizzas.

The lady told me Hungry Howie's subs are the best anywhere.  I asked her how their pizzas were and she said she was only interested in their subs.  Now it makes me wonder what are so good about Hungry Howie's subs.  :-D I asked the family if they ever tried Shields' and the other Detroit style pizzerias but she said they never did because they were satisfied with Buddy's.  I guess most people do stick with what they like.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2097 on: May 02, 2014, 11:21:20 AM »
I hear ya Norma....their subs look pretty interesting. They use their "flavored crust" dough.  :chef:

CB

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2098 on: May 02, 2014, 05:52:03 PM »
I hear ya Norma....their subs look pretty interesting. They use their "flavored crust" dough.  :chef:

CB

Thanks Bob for the photo!  I agree those subs look interesting.

Norma

Offline hurkleburkle

« Reply #2099 on: May 11, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »

CB
I worked for Hungry Howies for about 5 years.  The subs are basically calzones with sub ingredients.  The dough itself is just plain dough (no flavoring) and after it is cooked we coated it with garlic flavored oil (phase) and parmesan.  The meats and veggies were rather plain and were the same as we used on the pizzas.  We used imitation swiss cheese, however, instead of the normal pizza cheese.

pizzapan