Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 153851 times)

Offline hurkleburkle

Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2100 on: May 11, 2014, 04:11:48 PM »
Norma,  How much cheese are you putting on these?  I tried looking it up but there are so many pages of information it is hard to get through it all.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2101 on: May 11, 2014, 08:43:41 PM »
Norma,  How much cheese are you putting on these?  I tried looking it up but there are so many pages of information it is hard to get through it all.

hurkleburkle,

I am using 6 oz. of mild white cheddar for the Detroit style of pizzas at market in a 8Ēx10Ē rectangular pan.  You could use more cheese.  I use that amount because it works for me in keeping the price of the cheese down on a pizza.  Brick cheese or a combination of other cheeses work too.

Norma   
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2102 on: May 12, 2014, 06:33:57 PM »
If anyone is interested I am using GM Full Strength bleached and bromated flour now for my Detroit style pizzas.  I had been using the Occident Flour.  I had been testing the GM Full Strength for a couple of months and it works the same as the Occident flour at least in my opinion.  Using only one flour makes it easier for me.  I do use GM Full Strength for the other dough I make for market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2103 on: May 19, 2014, 10:41:24 AM »
Buddy's Pizza has come up with a creative way to use leftover pizza dough and help save animals lives.  ďBuddy BonesĒ are made from the company's multi-grain crust.

http://www.pizzatoday.com/industry-news/pizza-headlines/buddys-pizza-repurposes-dough-dog-treats/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2104 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:05 PM »
If anyone has leftover Detroit style dough balls, maybe they might want to try a Cinnamon Swirl Pizza.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32317.0 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2105 on: July 15, 2014, 09:30:15 PM »
Two customers of mine had told me awhile ago they were going to Buddy's Pizza on vacation.  They brought me a souvenir from Buddy's today and also ordered two Detroit style pizzas.

I still have customers that have been to Buddy's, and live in Detroit, that tell me they never heard of a Detroit style pizzas.  They just call Buddy's pizza a square pizza.     

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2106 on: August 31, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »
Some Detroit style dough was mixed in the Kitchen Aide only using the flat beater attachment in two mixes.  There was a one day cold ferment of the dough balls in plastic bags.  I know other members have baked Detroit style pizzas before without a stone.  This is the first time I tried without a stone.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2107 on: August 31, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »
How did it compare without the stone? I've tried it both ways and have had much better results without the stone.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2108 on: August 31, 2014, 09:58:11 PM »
How did it compare without the stone? I've tried it both ways and have had much better results without the stone.

Craig,

I posted on my other thread at Reply 80 (8th photo down)  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg336395#msg336395 that I gave those two Detroit style pies to Frank Giaquinto.  I did not get to taste them so I don't know what they really tasted like.  The Detroit style pizzas seemed to do well without a pizza stone.  I have tried Detroit style pizza on my Blackstone and got good results on a stone.  Why do you think you get better results without a stone? 

I probably should have linked to the formulation I used at Reply 72 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg336246#msg336246 I used a little more water than was called for in the formulation.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2109 on: August 31, 2014, 10:20:20 PM »
Why do you think you get better results without a stone? 

I don't know. I was surprised I didn't, but I've tried it sever times and have never been happy with the results.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2110 on: September 01, 2014, 09:11:34 AM »
I bake mine without a stone as well. At 500į, I still have to cover the pan with foil for the last few minutes to keep the cheese from over browning.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2111 on: September 01, 2014, 09:51:45 AM »
I don't know. I was surprised I didn't, but I've tried it sever times and have never been happy with the results.

Craig,

I am curious about what final results weren't you happy with when baking on a stone?  Was it the texture of the crumb, or the brownness of the rim edges that changed when baking on a stone?

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2112 on: September 01, 2014, 10:09:59 AM »
Craig,

I am curious about what final results weren't you happy with when baking on a stone?  Was it the texture of the crumb, or the brownness of the rim edges that changed when baking on a stone?

Norma

I seemed to get less browning of the crust. I don't understand it, but the results were consistent.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2113 on: September 01, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »
I seemed to get less browning of the crust. I don't understand it, but the results were consistent.

Thanks Craig!  This is what the rim crust and bottom crust looked like on the one pie I made for Frank.  Frank said he is hungry for another Detroit style pizza.  He said his wife and him really enjoyed them.  I told Frank I will make him a regular Detroit style pizza and use a Detroit style dough in a different pan with a lower TF.

Norma

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2114 on: September 11, 2014, 01:38:09 AM »
Would you mind giving the link or links where the recipe and prep instructions are for this style pizza? I'm a newbie, but this sure looks good and I'd like to have something to shoot for!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2115 on: September 11, 2014, 08:54:16 AM »
Would you mind giving the link or links where the recipe and prep instructions are for this style pizza? I'm a newbie, but this sure looks good and I'd like to have something to shoot for!

Marty,

The formulation I use is:

Flour 100% (GM Full Strength) but could be another flour
Water 75% or higher I use, but around 70% hydration should be okay
IDY 0.45% for this time of the year, but can be higher,
Salt 1.75%
Dough ball weigh for an 8Ēx10Ē steel pan 9.5 ounces

If I mix at home in my Kitchen Aid mixer, or mix at market in the Hobart, I use the paddle attachment for both mixers.  Everything is put into the mixer bowl, with the water going in first.  Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated on speed one and then speed two for about 2-3 minutes.  Stop mixer, then  rest dough so water hydrates with the flour for about 6 minutes.  Mix again on 2 speed in the Hobart and maybe higher speed in the Kitchen Aid mixer until the sides of the mixer bowl are clean and the dough flies off the paddle attachment onto the sides of the mixer bowl.  That mix can be anywhere from 3-4 minutes.  The dough still will be very sticky, and will stick some to your fingers.  Flour the work surface and deposit dough there.  Sprinkle some flour on top of the sticky dough and do a couple of stretches and folds, or until the dough is not really sticky.  A little more flour might be needed if the dough feels sticky.  I then divide the dough with a dough scraper.  I then put a little mound of flour on the work surface and ball each dough ball by dipping in the flour mound a little bit and if dough ball is sticky just dip in mound and ball again.  I put the dough balls directly in a greased steel pan, or in plastic balls.  The dough balls are oiled.   I grease my steel pan with MFB (made for baking shortening), but a butter flavored Crisco shortening could be used.  I think even regular Crisco could be used but I did not try regular Crisco.  My dough balls are cold fermented for about 24 hrs. but think someone could easily use them before that amount of time.  When the dough in the steel pan is still cold right in the steel pan or in the plastic bag, press the dough out in the steel pan.  Then let the dough rise (proof) at room temperature, in an oven with the light on, or in a heated cabinet like I have at market.  The temperature of the proofing should not be too high, or it will kill the yeast.  Let the dough proof until it is at least double in size.  Mine at market take about 45 minutes in the heated cabinet.  I have let doughs in the steel pan just proof at room temperature at home until I saw they at least doubled in size.  Make sure to cover the steel pan with something like a processing hat, plastic wrap, or something else so the dough won't dry out.  At market I bake directly on the stone at about 530 degrees F.  At home I have used my pizza stone, or used the regular middle rack in my home oven and then baked until the Detroit style pizza looked baked enough.  The bake temperature at home was about 500 degrees F, or a little lower.  The way I can tell if the Detroit style pizza is baked enough is the edges where the cheese meets the sides of the steel pan browns, and so does the cheese some on the top.  I put racing stripes of sauce down on two sides on top of the cheese.  If your top of your pie wants to brown too fast put some aluminum foil on top of the pan until the bake is finished so the cheese does not brown too much.  I never had to put aluminum foil on top of the steel pan, but some members have done that.  I use about 6 Ĺ ounces of cheese for the pies at market, but use more cheese sometimes at home.  Some members like to add the racing stripes of sauce after the bake. 

Your steel pan should be well seasoned.  If the steel pans are not well seasoned you want to make sure you use some kind of thin metal spatula to loosen the edges before the pie is removed from the steel pan.

One link to look at:

Reply 1974 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg260479#msg260479 

If you need anymore help just let me know.  I hope you will report back on your results.

Norma
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 06:03:33 PM by norma427 »

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2116 on: September 11, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Thank you so much Norma! I grew up near Detroit and I don't remember seeing a pizza look that good. The best pizza back then was at Dearborn Pizzeria. You people are so great on this forum!

Offline Marty Runik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2117 on: September 11, 2014, 04:58:07 PM »
Wow 75% hydration. I read the double kneading post you wrote. I guess I have to get a good mixer instead of hand mixing!

Also I assume you meant 4.5% IDY not 45% right?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2118 on: September 11, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »
Thank you so much Norma! I grew up near Detroit and I don't remember seeing a pizza look that good. The best pizza back then was at Dearborn Pizzeria. You people are so great on this forum!

Marty,

What Peter and I were trying to clone, or reverse engineer was a Buddy's Pizza.  It is a Sicilian pizza and usually people from Detroit just call it a square.  Did you look on the original Buddy's thread?  I had two women that came to my pizza stand on Tuesday and each of them ate two slices and then ordered a whole Detroit style pie to go.  Those were the same women that had gone to Detroit to eat at Buddy's pizza many times.  They told me on Tuesday that my Detroit style pizza is better than Buddy's.  That make me feel good. 

Wow 75% hydration. I read the double kneading post you wrote. I guess I have to get a good mixer instead of hand mixing!

Also I assume you meant 4.5% IDY not 45% right?

I think you would be okay to try 65% hydration if don't have a mixer.  Sorry, Yes I meant 0.45% IDY.

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2119 on: October 12, 2014, 11:29:47 AM »
Hi, Norma,

Do you use the pre-seasoned pans from Detroit Style Pizza or do you buy unseasoned ones?  If unseasoned, how do you season them and how many times do you have to bake in them before they become non-stick?

Gene

pizzapan