Author Topic: Two Bill’s pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 109029 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Bill’s pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #840 on: December 20, 2012, 10:50:17 AM »

Norma,

The different Stanislaus products that are of interest to us in this thread have different amounts of salt but they are quite comparable. For example, the Stanislaus 7/11 product has about 75mg sodium per ounce. The Stanislaus Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with Fresh Basil has about 64mg sodium per ounce. Those amounts of sodium for four ounces of sauce would be equivalent to about 1/8 teaspoon of salt or maybe a bit less. The Stanislaus Full Red Tomato Paste has no added salt but it does have a small amount of natural sodium. That product is not a candidate for our purposes because it contains no basil leaves. I might add here that another possible candidate for your purposes is the Stanislaus Super Dolce Super Sweet Heavy Pizza Sauce (http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/_pdfs/Super-Dolce-Pizza-Sauce.pdf). It has slightly more salt (about 71mg sodium per ounce) than the Saporito Heavy Pizza Sauce with Fresh Basil but it is sweeter. It also has basil leaves. Sweetness might be something to pay attention to when comparing your next sauce with the sample you have from Buddy's.

Since my last post, I have been playing around with the numbers for Nick Sasso's sauce using the Stanislaus 7/11 and Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with Fresh Basil. From Nick's numbers, it appears that he is using around 36% water to dilute the mixture of the two types of tomato products. Using 4 ounces for the amount of sauce based on his recipe does appear to come close to the sodium numbers given in the Buddy's Nutrition information on a single-slice basis (one ounce of sauce on average). However, I found that I could get closer to the Buddy's sodium numbers by going to 50% water. For your purposes, you might try the 36% version, as follows:

7/11: 125 grams
Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with Fresh Basil: 125 grams
Water: 90 grams

The above combination will produce about 12 ounces of sauce, or enough for about 3 Buddy's clone pizzas with 4 ounces of sauce each. Since it is quite possible that Nick's recipe produces a thicker sauce than what Buddy's might be using, you might start with 90 grams of water and, if necessary, gradually add more water until the sauce has about the same consistency as the Buddy's sauce sample. If possible, you should note the amount of additional water. FYI, at 50% water, you are talking about 125 grams of water. That amount of water will increase the total sauce weight to 13.22 ounces.

In addition to coming up with sodium numbers that are in the ballpark in relation to the sodium numbers in the Buddy's Nutrition information, the carbohydrate numbers and fiber numbers for the abovementioned sauce combinations also seem to be in the ballpark with the Buddy's Nutrition information. For all of my calculations, I assumed that Buddy's is using the Foremost Farms brick cheese with 360mg of sodium for two ounces of that cheese.

I also tested the carbohydrate numbers when using a 10-ounce dough ball as opposed to a 9-ounce dough ball (both without salt) and it appears that the numbers support the 9-ounce dough ball weight better than the 10-ounce dough ball weight. It didn't matter whether I used the 36% or 50% water numbers. So, until we come up with better intelligence on Buddy's dough ball weights, I would stick with the 9-ounce dough ball for the Buddy's 4-square pizza.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me that the Stanislaus 7/11 product and the Stanislaus Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with Fresh Basil have about 1/8 teaspoon of salt (or a little less)  in four ounces of the combination.  I didn’t know that the Stanislaus Super Dolce Super Heavy Pizza Sauce might be another good candidate.  I know the Stanislaus Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce doesn’t very sweet if nothing is added to it.  If the 7/11 and the Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce don’t work out, I can try to get a sample of the Stanislaus Super Dolce Super Heavy Pizza Sauce.  The 7/11 tomato product is sweet tasting to me right out of the can.  Steve even mentioned on Tuesday when he tasted the 7/11 tomato product right out of the container he could just eat that sauce without anything else added.  I also think it is a very fresh tasting tomato sauce product. 

Thanks also for giving me the amounts in grams to try for the 7/11, Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with Fresh Basil and the water amount to try.  I will start with 90 grams of water and if necessary gradually add more water until the sauce has about the same consistency as the Buddy’s sauce sample.  I wanted to mention that Steve and I thought the extra Buddy’s sauce has gotten a little thinner, but we think that happened from the defrosting of the frozen Buddy’s extra sauce two times.  I have kept the Buddy’s extra sauce in my non defrosting freezer, but I guess ice crystals may contribute to some thinning of the extra Buddy’s sauce. 

I understand that in addition to coming up with sodium numbers that are in the ballpark in relation to the sodium number in the Buddy’s Nutrition information, the carbohydrate numbers and fiber numbers for the abovementioned sauce combinations also have to closely match.  It is good that your calculations show the sauce combinations seem to be in the ballpark with the Buddy’s Nutrition information. 

I find it interesting that you also tested the carbohydrate numbers when using a 10-ounce dough ball compared to a 9-ounce dough ball (both without salt) and that it appears that the 9-ounce dough ball weight better supports the carbohydrate numbers, rather than the 10-ounce  dough ball.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #841 on: December 20, 2012, 11:17:43 AM »
I wanted to mention that Steve and I thought the extra Buddy’s sauce has gotten a little thinner, but we think that happened from the defrosting of the frozen Buddy’s extra sauce two times.  I have kept the Buddy’s extra sauce in my non defrosting freezer, but I guess ice crystals may contribute to some thinning of the extra Buddy’s sauce. 
Norma,

Steve makes a good point. No doubt the repeated freezings and defrostings of the Buddy's sauce have altered the cellular structure of the tomatoes in the sauce. You might stir the defrosted sauce to at least get it to a uniform consistency but you may also have to rely on your memory, or "feel", as to the consistency of the Buddy's sauce when you first got it. But, all things considered, I think it was a good idea to get the Buddy's sauce sample in the first place.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #842 on: December 20, 2012, 01:07:16 PM »
Norma,

Steve makes a good point. No doubt the repeated freezings and defrostings of the Buddy's sauce have altered the cellular structure of the tomatoes in the sauce. You might stir the defrosted sauce to at least get it to a uniform consistency but you may also have to rely on your memory, or "feel", as to the consistency of the Buddy's sauce when you first got it. But, all things considered, I think it was a good idea to get the Buddy's sauce sample in the first place.

Peter

Peter,

Steve and I do stir the extra Buddy’s sauce before we try to taste it each time.  I still have the video of Buddy’s extra sauce to watch too, to see how it was when it was first defrosted when I received it with the real Buddy’s pizza.  At least the extra sauce can be used to see if we might get the same taste.  I am glad now you did mention to try and get the extra sauce after I ordered the Buddy’s pizza and helped me with a way to get the extra sauce.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #843 on: December 20, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »
Peter,

I received the samples of the Margherita Coarse Sliced Pepperoni a little while ago.  I was surprised what a big box the samples were send in.  There are four bags of the Margherita Coarse Slice Pepperoni that I was given samples of from Keith.  I would say that is a generous amount and I should be able to do many experiments with the samples.

I did take the weights of some of the individual pepperoni slices and also 20 slices of the Margherita Coarse Slice Pepperoni piled on top of each other.  If you want me to take more weights, or more measurements of the pepperoni let me know.  As can be seen in the pictures each slice of pepperoni I weighed did weigh differently.

I sure would like to see how the Margherita Coarse Sliced Pepperoni would bake on a Buddy’s clone pizza.  It does taste good plain and still has that after-bite of being spicy.

Fritz from Kraft also called me a little while ago and said his contact from Kraft want to know what kind of mozzarella I was searching for.  I explained that the brick cheese isn’t a mozzarella or a cheddar, but is called just brick cheese.  I also told Fritz again that Buddy’s Pizza did use Kraft brick cheese at one time, but I didn’t know if they still using the Kraft brick cheese.  Fritz said he was going to send another email to help me find the brick cheese and if I don’t hear back from him until tomorrow he will contact me after Christmas.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #844 on: December 20, 2012, 02:21:03 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #845 on: December 20, 2012, 02:23:04 PM »
Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #846 on: December 20, 2012, 02:26:20 PM »
I don't know why the weights are cut off some in my pictures (they weren't on my pictures), but if you want me to copy all of the weights and then post them I will.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #847 on: December 20, 2012, 02:31:59 PM »
Nice 'lil score there Norma!  ;)
That pepperoni looks real good up close. I know you place it under the cheese on your Buddy's clone pizzas but I'll bet that stuff will cup an crisp up real nice when you try it on top with your other styles of pizza.

btw, on that "black ice" icepack...is that a pic of your new WFO to be installed in your upcoming Food Truck!?   :-D
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #848 on: December 20, 2012, 02:51:42 PM »
Nice 'lil score there Norma!  ;)
That pepperoni looks real good up close. I know you place it under the cheese on your Buddy's clone pizzas but I'll bet that stuff will cup an crisp up real nice when you try it on top with your other styles of pizza.

btw, on that "black ice" icepack...is that a pic of your new WFO to be installed in your upcoming Food Truck!?   :-D
Bob

Bob,

I was pleasantly surprised at how many samples I received.  I don’t think this is a cupping pepperoni, but I think it would crisp up good if was placed on top of the cheeses.

Lol, about that igloo on the “black” ice pack being my WFO.  :-D I don’t know if I will purchase a food truck or not, but it won’t have a WFO if I do.  Steve has that covered with his Airstream in our area.  ;D

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #849 on: December 20, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »
I am going to post the weights for the pictures since they really can’t be seen right, incase those weights are needed.

8454   38.98 g
8455   1.375 oz.
8456   2.04 g
8457   2.28 g
8458   1.82 g
8459   2.12 g
8460   1.91 g
8461   1.94 g

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #850 on: December 20, 2012, 05:57:34 PM »
Norma,

Thank you for the data on the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni. I went back and took a look of the photos of the pepperoni slices from the cheese and pepperoni pizza that you purchased recently from Buddy's, at Reply 525 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg225589#msg225589, and there appear to be similarities between the two pepperoni slices shown in the photos. However, we may have to await your using some of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni slices on a Buddy's clone pizza to see if they are the same product. If you have a good taste memory, that might help you compare the Margherita pepperoni slices you received today with what was used on the Buddy's cheese and pepperoni pizza. You might even be able to tell strictly by appearance. There is nothing that says that Buddy's has to stay with any particular brand of pepperoni. However, I would imagine that all of the Buddy's locations are supposed to use the same pepperoni product. That ensures consistency of the Buddy's product from one store to another, just like the big pizza chains, and may also save Buddy's money.

I agree with you that Buddy's is not using a cupping-type pepperoni. As you know, Buddy's makes a pizza called the Detroiter where the pepperoni slices are put on top of the cheese rather than under it. You can see from the photo at http://www.michigan.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/buddys-pizza-detroit.jpg that the pepperoni slices remain largely flat. As it turns out, the Hunt boys at Via 313 in Austin Texas make their own Detroiter pizza where the pepperoni slices do cup, as can be seen at http://foodjoy.squarespace.com/storage/IMG_5656.JPG?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344281905849. In my opinion, those are two great looking Detroiter pizzas.

I look forward to the results you achieve when you try the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #851 on: December 20, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »
Norma,

Thank you for the data on the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni. I went back and took a look of the photos of the pepperoni slices from the cheese and pepperoni pizza that you purchased recently from Buddy's, at Reply 525 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=21559.msg225589#msg225589, and there appear to be similarities between the two pepperoni slices shown in the photos. However, we may have to await your using some of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni slices on a Buddy's clone pizza to see if they are the same product. If you have a good taste memory, that might help you compare the Margherita pepperoni slices you received today with what was used on the Buddy's cheese and pepperoni pizza. You might even be able to tell strictly by appearance. There is nothing that says that Buddy's has to stay with any particular brand of pepperoni. However, I would imagine that all of the Buddy's locations are supposed to use the same pepperoni product. That ensures consistency of the Buddy's product from one store to another, just like the big pizza chains, and may also save Buddy's money.

I agree with you that Buddy's is not using a cupping-type pepperoni. As you know, Buddy's makes a pizza called the Detroiter where the pepperoni slices are put on top of the cheese rather than under it. You can see from the photo at http://www.michigan.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/buddys-pizza-detroit.jpg that the pepperoni slices remain largely flat. As it turns out, the Hunt boys at Via 313 in Austin Texas make their own Detroiter pizza where the pepperoni slices do cup, as can be seen at http://foodjoy.squarespace.com/storage/IMG_5656.JPG?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1344281905849. In my opinion, those are two great looking Detroiter pizzas.

I look forward to the results you achieve when you try the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni.

Peter

Peter,

I also went back and looked at the pictures I posted at Reply 529 and Reply 530 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg225589.html#msg225589 (especially the pepperoni slices in both of those posts).  The pepperoni slices do look the same to me even if the pepperoni that was partially baked on the Buddy’s pizza doesn’t exactly look the same.  I noted what looked like fat, or whatever it was in those pictures and also the pictures I posted today.  In those photos I did post pictures of the weighs of those pepperoni slices.  Do you think the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni could have lost that much weight from the partial bake of the Buddy’s pizza compared to the weighs I posted today for the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni fresh without being baked?

I think I do have a good taste memory and if it serving me well, the Margherita pepperoni I received today tasted the same with a nice spicy afterbite.  I also think the appearance of the pepperoni I received today does look the same.  Since Steve won’t be at market on Monday, I will let him also taste the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni to see if he also thinks it is the same pepperoni the following week.  I also want to give him some of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni to try on some of his Buddy’s clone pizzas. 

I also like the looks of Hunt boys Detroiter pizza.  I didn’t search for their Detroiter pizzas before.  I have to try a Buddy’s clone Detroiter pizza one of these days.

If I find time to make another emergency dough without salt on Monday morning, do you think that would be the best way to test the Margherita pepperoni?  At least that way it could give some more data for a final bake weight.  I also want to get the two sauces ready Sunday evening to try.  I would like to try the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni at home in an emergency dough without salt, but don’t think time will allow me to do that this weekend. 

I also wanted to ask you if I should still use 1.25 ounces of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni when I try it?  I don’t know what you thought about the weighs of the 20 slices of pepperoni.  Do you think that weight is too high?

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #852 on: December 20, 2012, 07:35:30 PM »
Norma,

I also went back and looked at the pictures I posted at Reply 529 and Reply 530 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg225589.html#msg225589 (especially the pepperoni slices in both of those posts).  The pepperoni slices do look the same to me even if the pepperoni that was partially baked on the Buddy’s pizza doesn’t exactly look the same.  I noted what looked like fat, or whatever it was in those pictures and also the pictures I posted today.  In those photos I did post pictures of the weights of those pepperoni slices.  Do you think the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni could have lost that much weight from the partial bake of the Buddy’s pizza compared to the weights I posted today for the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni fresh without being baked?

It is difficult to do "before" and "after" weighings of pepperoni slices because the "before" weights can vary so widely, as you noted in Reply 649 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg228577.html#msg228577. However, I suspect that the pepperoni slices render some of its fat content while trapped below the cheese. So, the pepperoni slices removed from the pizza after baking might weigh less as a result.

If I find time to make another emergency dough without salt on Monday morning, do you think that would be the best way to test the Margherita pepperoni?  At least that way it could give some more data for a final bake weight.

I think that is as good a time as any. What we have been doing on this thread for the past two months is to try to replicate a typical Buddy's cheese and pepperoni pizza. Now you have a chance to see if the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni is another piece of the puzzle.

I also wanted to ask you if I should still use 1.25 ounces of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni when I try it?  I don’t know what you thought about the weighs of the 20 slices of pepperoni.  Do you think that weight is too high?

Because the weights of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni slices vary so widely, I think I would just use 20 slices on your Buddy's 4-square clone pizza and not worry about the total weight. That will vary from one pizza to another, although the variances won't be so great in any single case as to pose a problem. We are already contending with variations in the amounts of sauce and cheese, so the pepperoni is just another variable. About the only thing that is fairly constant is the amount of dough, and who knows how accurate Buddy's is when portioning out and scaling their dough balls? I think the only other constant is the salt, which I think is perhaps zero, just like the oil and sugar, which are also zero.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #853 on: December 20, 2012, 09:02:01 PM »
Norma,

It is difficult to do "before" and "after" weighings of pepperoni slices because the "before" weights can vary so widely, as you noted in Reply 649 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg228577.html#msg228577. However, I suspect that the pepperoni slices render some of its fat content while trapped below the cheese. So, the pepperoni slices removed from the pizza after baking might weigh less as a result.

I think that is as good a time as any. What we have been doing on this thread for the past two months is to try to replicate a typical Buddy's cheese and pepperoni pizza. Now you have a chance to see if the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni is another piece of the puzzle.
Because the weights of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni slices vary so widely, I think I would just use 20 slices on your Buddy's 4-square clone pizza and not worry about the total weight. That will vary from one pizza to another, although the variances won't be so great in any single case as to pose a problem. We are already contending with variations in the amounts of sauce and cheese, so the pepperoni is just another variable. About the only thing that is fairly constant is the amount of dough, and who knows how accurate Buddy's is when portioning out and scaling their dough balls? I think the only other constant is the salt, which I think is perhaps zero, just like the oil and sugar, which are also zero.

Peter

Peter,

I found it interesting when I weighed those pepperoni slices how widely they varied in weight, even though they looked the same to me with just looking at the pepperoni slice with my eyes.  I also weighed 3 of the whole packages of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni and they also varied in weight.
In case you might be interested they weighed 3 lbs. 7.4 ounces, 3 lbs. 1 ounce and 3 lbs. 1.7 ounces.  Since there was no name on the packages I guess since they were just samples the weights could vary.  I wouldn’t think they would sell the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni that way. 

If I find time to mix an emergency dough on Monday morning without salt I would like to see if the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni is another piece of the puzzle.  I will just use 20 slices of the Margherita coarse grind pepperoni since you suggested that.  I know it will be another variable in addition to the cheese and sauce amounts, but I agree with you that maybe Buddy’s might not really portioning out their dough balls right on accurate scales.  I saw when my local pizzerias different times used scales to weigh out ingredients for their doughs, they were just like my Taylor scale at market that I used to weigh out cheeses.  I know that scale isn’t nearly as accurate as my bigger scale at market, or like my scales at home.  I wonder how Buddy’s even gets its Nutrition Facts figured out since they just free do so many things.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #854 on: December 20, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »
I wonder how Buddy’s even gets its Nutrition Facts figured out since they just free do so many things.

Norma,

If you go to the Buddy's website at http://www.buddyspizza.com/nutrition.asp?Category=3, you will see the following statement at the bottom of the page on how the Nutrition information was created:

Nutritional information provided is based on Buddy's standardized recipes, representative values provided by suppliers, published resources and using industry standard software. A number of factors may affect the actual nutritional values for each product, including the fact that our menu items are handcrafted and may be customized, variations in serving size, preparation techniques, ingredient substitutions and supply sources. Accordingly, Buddy's cannot guarantee that the information provided is completely accurate as it relates to the prepared menu items in every Buddy's location. Some Buddy's locations may serve menu items which are not listed on this nutritional information page.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #855 on: December 20, 2012, 09:34:00 PM »
Norma,

If you go to the Buddy's website at http://www.buddyspizza.com/nutrition.asp?Category=3, you will see the following statement at the bottom of the page on how the Nutrition information was created:

Nutritional information provided is based on Buddy's standardized recipes, representative values provided by suppliers, published resources and using industry standard software. A number of factors may affect the actual nutritional values for each product, including the fact that our menu items are handcrafted and may be customized, variations in serving size, preparation techniques, ingredient substitutions and supply sources. Accordingly, Buddy's cannot guarantee that the information provided is completely accurate as it relates to the prepared menu items in every Buddy's location. Some Buddy's locations may serve menu items which are not listed on this nutritional information page.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the link that tells about how Buddy’s provides Nutritional information for its products.  I did look at the Nutrition Facts before, but never read the bottom statement.  It all looks like a slippery slope to me in trying to figure out what to do and how to analyze what might need to be done.  At least you can figure out the Nutrition Facts and how they relate to the Buddy’s pepperoni and cheese pizzas, but I don’t think we will ever know truly what goes on without insider information.  There are just too many variables.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #856 on: December 23, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
I tried something a little different today when mixing the dough.  I mixed on speed one until some of the flour was incorporated, then changed to speed three and mixed until the dough was all on the flat beater.  I didn’t use the dough hook.  I also used water that was colder than normal to see if that would mix the dough okay.  It seemed to work in making the dough more manageable when cutting, scaling and balling, but will have to wait and see how the dough ferments tomorrow and how the final Buddy’s clone pizzas turn out.  The final dough temperature was 60.2 degrees F.  I left the dough balls out for an hour at 60 degrees F for them to start to ferment a little, before placing them in the pizza prep fridge.

The second picture is of the mixer bowl to show there wasn’t much of anything left in it after gathering the dough out in one scoop with my hands.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #857 on: December 23, 2012, 06:50:20 PM »
I mixed 125 grams of 7/11 tomato sauce with 125 grams of Saporito Super Heavy pizza sauce and also mixed 90 grams of water into the tomato sauces.  There didn’t seem to be enough water to make the tomato sauce look as thin as Buddy’s, so I added another 35 grams of water.   I added only oregano and pepper to the tomato sauces and water.  It tastes just about like Buddy’s extra sauce.

Buddy’s extra sauce might even be a little bit thinner than what I made.  The color seem to match up pretty good with Buddy’s sauce.  Buddy’s extra sauce is on the left.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #858 on: December 24, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »
Buddy’s extra sauce might even be a little bit thinner than what I made.  The color seem to match up pretty good with Buddy’s sauce.  Buddy’s extra sauce is on the left.

Norma,

I could be wrong but I would imagine that Buddy's workers who make their sauce use full cans of tomatoes and water and do no weighing. As it so happens, a #10 can of the Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with Fresh Basil weighs two ounces more than a #10 can of the 7/11s. In your case, using 150 grams of the two Stanislaus tomato products and 150 grams of water is a pretty close scaled down version of using one each of #10 cans of the two Stanislaus tomato products and one can of water. Maybe the empty cans of the two tomato products are rinsed with a bit of extra water that is then added to the sauce to thin it even further. Of course, Buddy's might be using some other combination of tomato products and water that results in a somewhat thinner sauce.

Out of curiosity, I did a little research to see when Stanislaus as a company was founded. It was in 1942 (http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=30745958), or four years before Buddy's started making pizzas. So it is possible that Buddy's has been a long and loyal customer of Stanislaus. From what I have read, Stanislaus is a very good company, with many accounts that absolutely refuse to go with other suppliers even if the pricing is better.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #859 on: December 24, 2012, 04:43:24 PM »
Norma,

I could be wrong but I would imagine that Buddy's workers who make their sauce use full cans of tomatoes and water and do no weighing. As it so happens, a #10 can of the Saporito Super Heavy Pizza Sauce with Fresh Basil weighs two ounces more than a #10 can of the 7/11s. In your case, using 150 grams of the two Stanislaus tomato products and 150 grams of water is a pretty close scaled down version of using one each of #10 cans of the two Stanislaus tomato products and one can of water. Maybe the empty cans of the two tomato products are rinsed with a bit of extra water that is then added to the sauce to thin it even further. Of course, Buddy's might be using some other combination of tomato products and water that results in a somewhat thinner sauce.

Out of curiosity, I did a little research to see when Stanislaus as a company was founded. It was in 1942 (http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=30745958), or four years before Buddy's started making pizzas. So it is possible that Buddy's has been a long and loyal customer of Stanislaus. From what I have read, Stanislaus is a very good company, with many accounts that absolutely refuse to go with other suppliers even if the pricing is better.

Peter

Peter,

I also can imagine that Buddy’s workers who make the sauce probably would use full cans of the tomatoes and water and do no weighing.  I know I don’t weigh my water for my tomato sauce and just know by adding water, when it is about the right consistency.  I didn’t know that a #10 can of the Saporito Super Heavy pizza Sauce with basil weighs two more ounces that a #10 can of the 7/11s.  I do rinse my cans with water, so I can imagine that Buddy’s might do that too to get all the sauce they can out of the cans. 

I didn’t know when the Stanislaus company was founded.  1942 is a long time ago.  I also agree that it is possible that Buddy’s might be a long and loyal customers of Stanislaus.  I think that Stanislaus is a very good company.  I have used their tomato products since I have started making pizza at market.  I do like other tomato product brands, but think I will always stay with Stanislaus for market use.

Norma