Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 154617 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1020 on: January 03, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »
Bob,

There are often easy answers to some questions but no one with sufficient interest or motivation to provide them. It is also possible that the ovens in Buddy's locations are not visible to customers.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1021 on: January 03, 2013, 05:12:43 PM »
I hear ya Peter.....maybe I should try calling in an order/inquisition. 'Cept they prolly have caller I.D. and I won't get far "wanting to place an order".....when they see North Carolina on the screen!  >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1022 on: January 03, 2013, 06:15:14 PM »
Norma,

I could be wrong but I do not recall anyone at the Buddy's thread saying that the pizzas could have two passes through the Buddy's conveyor, or at least not two full passes, which would mean a total bake time of around 25 minutes. That would result in a burnt pizza. What I do recall is that lufty said that he preferred about another 2 or 3 minutes bake time because he preferred a somewhat more well done pizza. See, for example, his comments (in italics) in Reply 318 at at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg136795.html#msg136795. Some of the longer conveyors have openings along their length to allow workers to use bubble poppers and possibly reenter a bake pizza to allow a longer bake or to enter an unbaked pizza to get a shorter bake. With shorter length conveyors that do not have such openings, one might reenter a baked pizza via either the entry point or the exit point to allow for a longer bake.

From my research of infrared conveyor ovens, I learned that two of the major players are CTX (owned by Middlby Marshall) and QII Deck (formerly Q-Matic, I believe). You can see examples of QII Decks with the openings along their length at http://www.qiideck.com/pdf/The_Q_infrared_series.pdf. You can read more about the QII ovens at http://www.qiideck.com/home.htm. If you look along the bottom of the pages, you will also find links to YouTube videos. One of those videos shows a pan pizza being one of the types of pizzas that can be baked in their ovens.

In case you are wondering, I was not able through my searches to find what kind or model of infrared conveyor oven Buddy's uses.

Peter

Peter,

I didnít exactly recall what lufty posted on the Buddyís thread when I posted.  I was wrong in what I posted. 

I didnít know that some of conveyors have opening along their length to allow workers to use bubble poppers and reenter a bake pizza to allow a long bake and to enter an unbaked pizza to get a shorter bake.  I found the video about the Chicago dish deep interesting and how long it took to bake in the conveyor oven. Was that the video you were referring to?  Thanks for the links.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1023 on: January 03, 2013, 06:21:46 PM »
I hear ya Peter.....maybe I should try calling in an order/inquisition. 'Cept they prolly have caller I.D. and I won't get far "wanting to place an order".....when they see North Carolina on the screen!  >:D

Bob,

You could call Buddyís if you are so inclined and say you are interested in purchasing a Buddyís pizza to be shipped and also say what you posted at Reply 1019 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg230169.html#msg230169  I called Buddyís two times before I actually purchased my half baked pizza and they didnít think anything strange was going on.  Buddyís says they ship their pizzas all over the US.  They sure didnít question me in my inquiries.  I had to wait a few days and call again though when they were busy.  That is up to you if you want to call.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1024 on: January 03, 2013, 06:25:14 PM »
I had to do a few errands later this afternoon and because I was curious about the dough ball in the steel pan at market and how it might be doing, so I swang by market to see what the dough in the pan looked like.  I must have forgotten there were two doughs in the steel pans that I forgot, that I wanted to bring home to freeze and then defrost to see if that might work out.

The two doughs in the steel pans smelled yeasty and looked okay and not overfermented, so I pressed them down again.  They are now home and in my oven with the light on.  I put them in the oven at about 5:30 PM and will watch if they will rise enough to make into Buddyís clone pizzas.  If the doughs do rise enough I will post about the pizzas.  It will be interesting for me to see if there is enough yeast left in the dough to give the height I want.  I donít know how long an emergency dough that was made with 1% IDY, no salt and a higher dough temperature will last without overfermenting. 

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1025 on: January 03, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
I didnít know that some of conveyors have opening along their length to allow workers to use bubble poppers and reenter a bake pizza to allow a long bake and to enter an unbaked pizza to get a shorter bake.  I found the video about the Chicago dish deep interesting and how long it took to bake in the conveyor oven. Was that the video you were referring to?
Norma,

It was the video at , at 0:44 and 1:25.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1026 on: January 03, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
Bob,

You could call Buddyís if you are so inclined and say you are interested in purchasing a Buddyís pizza to be shipped and also say what you posted at Reply 1019 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg230169.html#msg230169  I called Buddyís two times before I actually purchased my half baked pizza and they didnít think anything strange was going on.  Buddyís says they ship their pizzas all over the US.  They sure didnít question me in my inquiries.  I had to wait a few days and call again though when they were busy.  That is up to you if you want to call.

Norma
OK, I just called the Buddy's phone number given on their web site for ordering an "on-line' pizza. Web site say's it is the original location.
The young lady was a 'lil hard to understand(place was loud an busy too), I asked the address and she said what sounded like...32nd and Konack. Whatever  ::)
Asked if the pizza will be sent to me with the sauce in a separate container and I apply it after the pizza is cooked or what. She said "no the pizza will be sent to you with the sauce and everything else already on it but it will be half baked and all you have to do is follow the included directions to finish baking it".
I said OK great...I've never had a Buddy's pizza but my wife is from Detroit and she want's to have one just like the way ya'll make it there at the restaurant so I didn't know if I would need to put the sauce on after it was done baking or what....so if the pizza I receive already has the sauce on it is that the way you do it there in the shop...she says, "oh yes, we put the sauce and everything else on the pizza first before we put it in the oven".

So that was my conversation just now with Buddy's...your miliage may vary...hope this helps.
Try it yourself anyone if you'd like...it was kinda fun!  :-D
This is the number I called....1-313-892-9001

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1027 on: January 03, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
Bob,

Thank you very much although I must confess that I was looking forward to photos or a video of you eating your fedora (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg230043/topicseen.html#msg230043:-D.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1028 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »
Bob,

Thank you so much for calling Buddy's and using your intuition about what to ask to find out what we wanted to know.  ;D Great job!  Now we know.  I was kinda looking forward to you eating your fedora too though.   :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1029 on: January 03, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
Norma,

It was the video at , at 0:44 and 1:25.

Peter

Peter,

As you already know, I was looking at the wrong video.  Thanks to the link to the right video.  Those conveyor ovens do make some tasty looking pizzas.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1030 on: January 03, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
Bob,

Thank you very much although I must confess that I was looking forward to photos or a video of you eating your fedora (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg230043/topicseen.html#msg230043:-D.

Peter
No way Jose....the fedora....she too mucho grande para Roberto!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1031 on: January 03, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
Well, the doughs in the two steel pans did rise, but I donít know how good the doughs will be in supporting the dressings.  I took the dough two doughs in the steel pans out of the oven at 7:00 PM and am now heating up the oven.  These are the dressings I am using absent the special sauce from dhorst.  I am trying the new camera, so I hope it posts okay pictures.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1032 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
I made two more 8-square pies last night using Normas' emergency formula. This time I applied the sauce mid bake, once the cheese had melted, thus keeping the sauce out of contact with the dough. It worked very well. I had no sag issues at all. Unfortunately, these were for a party and I had no time for pictures. Sorry about that.
Steve,

I forgot to mention it earlier but Klausie's in Raleigh, NC puts down the sauce on top of the cheese mid-bake, then the toppings, and then finishes the bake (another two minutes): http://anotherdayinparadisewithdaveandlisa.blogspot.com/2012/01/pie-like-no-other-klausies-pizza.html?m=1.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:46:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1033 on: January 03, 2013, 09:05:04 PM »
In my opinion, the two pizzas made with the doughs that were left in the steels pan since Monday (and the dough was made Sunday) turned out tasty.  It can been seen what dressings I put on both pizzas.  I would not have thought the doughs would not have lasted this long if I hadnít done the experiment.  The edges were caramelized and the bottom crust was crispy.  There also was a nice blend of flavors from the different dressings and cheese blends.  Each bite gave me an explosion of new flavors.

The pizzas had to stay in the oven about 16 minutes. I guess from baking two pizzas at once on the one pizza stone, when usually I only bake one pizza at a time.  It was a little hairy trying to turn the two pizzas different times, because my oven isnít that large and my pizza stone is only 16Ē, but it worked out okay.  The sides edges wanted to brown more where the steel pans were off of the pizza stone so that is why I had to turned the pizzas different times.  My oven was heated up for 50 minutes at 500 degrees F and were baked on the bottom rack on the pizza stone.

I have no idea why the crumb on the Frankís hot sauce chicken, mixed cheeses, coarse grind pepperoni, celery, dhorstís sauce and then the Ranch dressing put on after the bake didnít get as airy, but it was very good anyway.

The coarse grind pepperoni, mixed cheeses, spinach and dhorstís sauce was airier in the crumb.

Dhorstís sauce tasted great on both pizzas. I thought dhorstís special sauce gave both pizzas a nice little kick of heat, but not too much.

The picture of the side of the pizza with the measuring tape didnít turn out right, but I am posting it anyway, just to show the pizzas did rise.  If someone would just look at the pictures of the top of the pizzas, it would look like the pizza with the ranch dressing put on after the bake would have a higher crumb inside, but that wasnít the case.  I wonder why that is too.  A few of the pictures were too blurry to post.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1034 on: January 03, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1035 on: January 03, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1036 on: January 03, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1037 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
I also had a few emails with Fritz this morning about the Kraft brick cheese.  I really didn't get too far, but he had emailed Kraft dairy products and asked me what size brick cheese would I be interested in.  This is what Fritz said in the last email.

One of the questions they asked was the size: 12, 16, or 32 oz.?

What would be your preference?

I told Fritz I thought that Kraft might have bigger sizes for the foodservice part of their business, but I would be satisfied to try any of those sizes.  I also asked Fritz he he recalled that I had told him that Buddy's pizza had at one time used Kraft's brick cheese, but I didn't think Buddy's was using it now.  I asked Fritz he if could ask the dairy products division about that.

Norma

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1038 on: January 03, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
Steve,

I forgot to mention it earlier but Klausie's in Raleigh, NC puts down the sauce on top of the cheese mid-bake, then the toppings, and then finishes the bake (another two minutes): http://anotherdayinparadisewithdaveandlisa.blogspot.com/2012/01/pie-like-no-other-klausies-pizza.html?m=1.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

So, the crust is buttered, baked twice, then cheesed and then sauced! Hmmm, how about that?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1039 on: January 04, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »
One thing I forgot to post about the two pizzas I made last night from the dough that was made on Sunday, was there was no better flavor in the crust from the longer fermentation time, although the whole slices tasted good.  I guess there needs to be salt added to a dough formulation for better flavors to develop in the crust.  Since the doughs in the steel pans smelled yeasty, I thought there might be better flavors in the crust, but when eating different pieces of just the crust, there wasnít much, or any flavor at all.  The crust just tasted bland.

Norma

pizzapan