Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 255884 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1025 on: January 03, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »
I didnít know that some of conveyors have opening along their length to allow workers to use bubble poppers and reenter a bake pizza to allow a long bake and to enter an unbaked pizza to get a shorter bake.  I found the video about the Chicago dish deep interesting and how long it took to bake in the conveyor oven. Was that the video you were referring to?
Norma,

It was the video at , at 0:44 and 1:25.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1026 on: January 03, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
Bob,

You could call Buddyís if you are so inclined and say you are interested in purchasing a Buddyís pizza to be shipped and also say what you posted at Reply 1019 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg230169.html#msg230169  I called Buddyís two times before I actually purchased my half baked pizza and they didnít think anything strange was going on.  Buddyís says they ship their pizzas all over the US.  They sure didnít question me in my inquiries.  I had to wait a few days and call again though when they were busy.  That is up to you if you want to call.

Norma
OK, I just called the Buddy's phone number given on their web site for ordering an "on-line' pizza. Web site say's it is the original location.
The young lady was a 'lil hard to understand(place was loud an busy too), I asked the address and she said what sounded like...32nd and Konack. Whatever  ::)
Asked if the pizza will be sent to me with the sauce in a separate container and I apply it after the pizza is cooked or what. She said "no the pizza will be sent to you with the sauce and everything else already on it but it will be half baked and all you have to do is follow the included directions to finish baking it".
I said OK great...I've never had a Buddy's pizza but my wife is from Detroit and she want's to have one just like the way ya'll make it there at the restaurant so I didn't know if I would need to put the sauce on after it was done baking or what....so if the pizza I receive already has the sauce on it is that the way you do it there in the shop...she says, "oh yes, we put the sauce and everything else on the pizza first before we put it in the oven".

So that was my conversation just now with Buddy's...your miliage may vary...hope this helps.
Try it yourself anyone if you'd like...it was kinda fun!  :-D
This is the number I called....1-313-892-9001
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1027 on: January 03, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
Bob,

Thank you very much although I must confess that I was looking forward to photos or a video of you eating your fedora (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg230043/topicseen.html#msg230043:-D.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1028 on: January 03, 2013, 07:24:25 PM »
Bob,

Thank you so much for calling Buddy's and using your intuition about what to ask to find out what we wanted to know.  ;D Great job!  Now we know.  I was kinda looking forward to you eating your fedora too though.   :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1029 on: January 03, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
Norma,

It was the video at , at 0:44 and 1:25.

Peter

Peter,

As you already know, I was looking at the wrong video.  Thanks to the link to the right video.  Those conveyor ovens do make some tasty looking pizzas.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1030 on: January 03, 2013, 07:34:45 PM »
Bob,

Thank you very much although I must confess that I was looking forward to photos or a video of you eating your fedora (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg230043/topicseen.html#msg230043:-D.

Peter
No way Jose....the fedora....she too mucho grande para Roberto!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1031 on: January 03, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
Well, the doughs in the two steel pans did rise, but I donít know how good the doughs will be in supporting the dressings.  I took the dough two doughs in the steel pans out of the oven at 7:00 PM and am now heating up the oven.  These are the dressings I am using absent the special sauce from dhorst.  I am trying the new camera, so I hope it posts okay pictures.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1032 on: January 03, 2013, 08:44:44 PM »
I made two more 8-square pies last night using Normas' emergency formula. This time I applied the sauce mid bake, once the cheese had melted, thus keeping the sauce out of contact with the dough. It worked very well. I had no sag issues at all. Unfortunately, these were for a party and I had no time for pictures. Sorry about that.
Steve,

I forgot to mention it earlier but Klausie's in Raleigh, NC puts down the sauce on top of the cheese mid-bake, then the toppings, and then finishes the bake (another two minutes): http://anotherdayinparadisewithdaveandlisa.blogspot.com/2012/01/pie-like-no-other-klausies-pizza.html?m=1.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:46:15 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1033 on: January 03, 2013, 09:05:04 PM »
In my opinion, the two pizzas made with the doughs that were left in the steels pan since Monday (and the dough was made Sunday) turned out tasty.  It can been seen what dressings I put on both pizzas.  I would not have thought the doughs would not have lasted this long if I hadnít done the experiment.  The edges were caramelized and the bottom crust was crispy.  There also was a nice blend of flavors from the different dressings and cheese blends.  Each bite gave me an explosion of new flavors.

The pizzas had to stay in the oven about 16 minutes. I guess from baking two pizzas at once on the one pizza stone, when usually I only bake one pizza at a time.  It was a little hairy trying to turn the two pizzas different times, because my oven isnít that large and my pizza stone is only 16Ē, but it worked out okay.  The sides edges wanted to brown more where the steel pans were off of the pizza stone so that is why I had to turned the pizzas different times.  My oven was heated up for 50 minutes at 500 degrees F and were baked on the bottom rack on the pizza stone.

I have no idea why the crumb on the Frankís hot sauce chicken, mixed cheeses, coarse grind pepperoni, celery, dhorstís sauce and then the Ranch dressing put on after the bake didnít get as airy, but it was very good anyway.

The coarse grind pepperoni, mixed cheeses, spinach and dhorstís sauce was airier in the crumb.

Dhorstís sauce tasted great on both pizzas. I thought dhorstís special sauce gave both pizzas a nice little kick of heat, but not too much.

The picture of the side of the pizza with the measuring tape didnít turn out right, but I am posting it anyway, just to show the pizzas did rise.  If someone would just look at the pictures of the top of the pizzas, it would look like the pizza with the ranch dressing put on after the bake would have a higher crumb inside, but that wasnít the case.  I wonder why that is too.  A few of the pictures were too blurry to post.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1034 on: January 03, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1035 on: January 03, 2013, 09:09:51 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1036 on: January 03, 2013, 09:11:32 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1037 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:29 PM »
I also had a few emails with Fritz this morning about the Kraft brick cheese.  I really didn't get too far, but he had emailed Kraft dairy products and asked me what size brick cheese would I be interested in.  This is what Fritz said in the last email.

One of the questions they asked was the size: 12, 16, or 32 oz.?

What would be your preference?

I told Fritz I thought that Kraft might have bigger sizes for the foodservice part of their business, but I would be satisfied to try any of those sizes.  I also asked Fritz he he recalled that I had told him that Buddy's pizza had at one time used Kraft's brick cheese, but I didn't think Buddy's was using it now.  I asked Fritz he if could ask the dairy products division about that.

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #1038 on: January 03, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »
Steve,

I forgot to mention it earlier but Klausie's in Raleigh, NC puts down the sauce on top of the cheese mid-bake, then the toppings, and then finishes the bake (another two minutes): http://anotherdayinparadisewithdaveandlisa.blogspot.com/2012/01/pie-like-no-other-klausies-pizza.html?m=1.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

So, the crust is buttered, baked twice, then cheesed and then sauced! Hmmm, how about that?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1039 on: January 04, 2013, 09:42:16 AM »
One thing I forgot to post about the two pizzas I made last night from the dough that was made on Sunday, was there was no better flavor in the crust from the longer fermentation time, although the whole slices tasted good.  I guess there needs to be salt added to a dough formulation for better flavors to develop in the crust.  Since the doughs in the steel pans smelled yeasty, I thought there might be better flavors in the crust, but when eating different pieces of just the crust, there wasnít much, or any flavor at all.  The crust just tasted bland.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1040 on: January 04, 2013, 09:58:41 AM »
In case you are wondering, I was not able through my searches to find what kind or model of infrared conveyor oven Buddy's uses.
Norma,

As I have noted before, businesses do not remain static. And I just learned this morning that is what happened with Buddy's ovens.

In an attempt to nail down the type of oven that Buddy's is using, I sent a private message to a highly respected equipment dealer who is a member of the PMQ Think Tank. As it so happens, he is in Michigan near Buddy's stores, and he had mentioned Buddy's in a post some time ago so I knew he was aware of Buddy's. I told him that I was assisting a pizza operator (that is you but I did not give him your name) who was trying to make a Detroit style pizza. I mentioned that Buddy's was believed to be using an infrared conveyor oven, and has been using conveyor ovens for over 30 years, and asked him if he was in a position to tell me what brand and model of conveyor oven Buddy's is using. Here is his reply as of this morning:

Buddy's has switched most of their ovens to the air impingement gas fired models.

Vastly less expensive to run and maintain. No basic change in product quality.

They originally used the Blodgett 1000 deck oven. When the first conveyor ovens (the CTX electric) came out they switched to them as did most of the large chains. Buddy's may have one shop still using CTX ovens

None of the large chains stll use that type oven. Most all have switched to the air impingement ovens. One of the disadvantages in operating that type oven, or any oven that does not have a blower system, is that pizzas cannot be placed close to each other during baking.

As Buddy's experience indicates, it is not the oven (they have used 3 different types) but rather the product and preparation that determines the quality and type of product produced.

We currently are equiping our customers with the XLT oven. Great price, great production, low operating cost, five year warranty.

So there you have it. It is noteworthy that credit is given to the product and its preparation that determines the quality and type of product produced.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:12:53 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1041 on: January 04, 2013, 10:04:09 AM »
One thing I forgot to post about the two pizzas I made last night from the dough that was made on Sunday, was there was no better flavor in the crust from the longer fermentation time, although the whole slices tasted good.  I guess there needs to be salt added to a dough formulation for better flavors to develop in the crust.  Since the doughs in the steel pans smelled yeasty, I thought there might be better flavors in the crust, but when eating different pieces of just the crust, there wasnít much, or any flavor at all.  The crust just tasted bland.
Norma,

Did the crust taste the same as one made using the emergency Buddy's clone dough? I don't want to so far as to eat Bob's fedora if I am wrong, since Buddy's sodium Nutrition numbers could be flawed or incomplete, but I still do not see any evidence of Buddy's using salt in its dough, or its level is so small as to be imperceptible on the palate.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1042 on: January 04, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
Norma,

As I have noted before, businesses do not remain static. And I just learned this morning that is what happened with Buddy's ovens.

In an attempt to nail down the type of oven that Buddy's is using, I sent a private message to a highly respected equipment dealer who is a member of the PMQ Think Tank. As it so happens, he is in Michigan near Buddy's stores, and he had mentioned Buddy's in a post some time ago so I knew he was aware of Buddy's. I told him that I was assisting a pizza operator (that is you but I did not give him your name) who was trying to make a Detroit style pizza. I mentioned that Buddy's was believed to be using an infrared conveyor oven, and has been using conveyor ovens for over 30 years, and asked him if he was in a postition to tell me what brand and model of conveyor oven Buddy's is using. Here is his reply as of this morning:

Buddy's has switched most of their ovens to the air impingement gas fired models.

Vastly less expensive to run and maintain. No basic change in product quality.

They originally used the Blodgett 1000 deck oven. When the first conveyor ovens (the CTX electric) came out they switched to them as did most of the large chains. Buddy's may have one shop still using CTX ovens

None of the large chains stll use that type oven. Most all have switched to the air impingement ovens. One of the disadvantages in operating that type oven, or any oven that does not have a blower system, is that pizzas cannot be placed close to each other during baking.

As Buddy's experience indicates, it is not the oven (they have used 3 different types) but rather the product and preparation that determines the quality and type of product produced.

We currently are equiping our customers with the XLT oven. Great price, great production, low operating cost, five year warranty.

So there you have it. It is noteworthy that credit is given to the product and its preparation that determines the quality and type of product produced.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for sending a PM to a highly respected equipment dealer that is a member of PMQ Think Tank and finding out about Buddyís ovens now and in the past. 

I also believe it is noteworthy that it is the product and its preparation that determines the quality and type of product produced, since Buddyís has used different ovens.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1043 on: January 04, 2013, 11:33:44 AM »
Norma,

Did the crust taste the same as one made using the emergency Buddy's clone dough? I don't want to so far as to eat Bob's fedora if I am wrong, since Buddy's sodium Nutrition numbers could be flawed or incomplete, but I still do not see any evidence of Buddy's using salt in its dough, or its level is so small as to be imperceptible on the palate.

Peter

Peter,

Yes, the crusts on the two slices I ate did taste the same as when using the emergency Buddy's clone dough without salt.  I wouldn't want you to have to eat Bob's fedora.  :P

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1044 on: January 04, 2013, 11:39:42 AM »
I saw on Buddyís facebook page yesterday they posted these two posts.

Resolve to spend your new year by visiting our original Buddy's location! Whether you're a fan or you've never been to the 6 Mile and Conant institution, we'll welcome you with great Buddy's Pizza flavor and company. We're located just east of I-75 and north of the Davison. Check out the menu:

http://www.buddyspizza.com/documents/Carryout101.pdf

I really donít know if the Buddyís menu changed any yet.

Have a fit and healthy resolution for 2013? Buddy's can help. Try our multi-grain crust as a healthier option and choose from no cheese, light cheese and a variety of types of cheeses that will better suit your needs (not to mention healthy, delicious veggie toppings): Check it out: http://www.buddyspizza.com/documents/BuddysMultiGrain.pdf

And also posted this Wednesday on facebook.

If you love Buddy's do us a favor and tell Hour Detroit magazine that you think we're the best: http://www.hourdetroit.com/Hour-Detroit/Best-of-Detroit-2013-Online-Ballot/

Buddyís also posted this on facebook December 28, 2012.

Get ready for even more pizza options to appear on our menu into the new year. The Motor City Pizza Collection will stay with us, as will this year's debut, the Great Lakes Pizza Collection. There's more delicious Buddy's Pizza to choose from - and you can have it however you like it (gluten-free, honey wheat crust, original Detroit-style, our traditional pizza sauce or tomato basil - you name it!)

A lady also posted on Buddyís wall a picture of a pizza she made and said this.  ‎644 miles away from Buddy's Pizza, I made a Buddy's inspired veggie pizza! I miss home!  That was posted December 27, 2012.

The picture is below.  I wonder what Buddyís would think if I posted one of my Buddyís clones on their wall.   :-D

I enjoy reading posts by other members on Buddyís facebook page.

One person posted this back in October.

ordered pizza today from Buddy's in Livonia...probably some of the worst pizza I have ever had. I think I may actually rather have Chuck E Cheese pizza over Buddy's. I will never eat back here again.

Buddyís told the poster to contact them and they were sorry they felt that way.

Another person back in August wrote this.

Could you please message m the contact information please? It is no longer up in your page.

Buddyís posted this back.  Buddy's Pizza Yes, you can reach Lara at (248) 855-6222 ext. 200 anytime 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mon-Fri.

I guess Lara is someone you contact if there are questions, because another poster ask this question.

Can someone tell me if there is a way to get the actually ingredients list for the gluten free pizza? I've searched online and called but I can't seem to get an answer.

Buddyís answered.

Buddy's Pizza Hi again. We can definitely answer your gluten-free questions. I can have Lara give you a ring if you provide a number (email it to us directly through our page) or feel free to contact her at your convenience at (248) 855-6222 ext. 200 anytime 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mon-Fri. Sorry you've had trouble finding what you need. We're here to help!

There are a lot of pictures of Buddyís pizzas that customers purchased on Buddyís face book page under other people posts, but I haven gone back farther than April 3, 2012.

I donít know if Laraís contact number will help us anymore or not.

Norma

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #1045 on: January 04, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »
A lady also posted on Buddyís wall a picture of a pizza she made and said this.  ‎644 miles away from Buddy's Pizza, I made a Buddy's inspired veggie pizza! I miss home!  That was posted December 27, 2012.

The picture is below.  I wonder what Buddyís would think if I posted one of my Buddyís clones on their wall.   :-D

They probably wouldn't be too happy if you posted a picture of one of your clones on their wall, Norma. All their customers would be asking how to get your pies instead of theirs!  :-D

The pie the other lady posed doesn't look so good, IMO.

CL
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1046 on: January 04, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »
Yep, Norma's pie up there would turn all the others into the...."wall of shame"   :-D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1047 on: January 04, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
Norma,

Resolve to spend your new year by visiting our original Buddy's location! Whether you're a fan or you've never been to the 6 Mile and Conant institution, we'll welcome you with great Buddy's Pizza flavor and company. We're located just east of I-75 and north of the Davison. Check out the menu:

http://www.buddyspizza.com/documents/Carryout101.pdf

I really donít know if the Buddyís menu changed any yet.
To the best of my knowledge, the Buddy's menus have not changed yet. As of now, Buddy's has basically two menus, depending on the location. One includes appetizers (e.g., http://www.buddyspizza.com/documents/Carryout101.pdf), one of which is Buddy's Garlic Bread, and the other (e.g., http://www.buddyspizza.com/documents/Carryout110.pdf) does not include appetizers but offers Buddy's Bread, whch are breadsticks.

I fully agree with Craig and Bob on this one. You should rightfully be proud of your accomplishments with your Buddy's clone pizzas, but remember that pride goeth before the fall. I would rather stay below the radar on this.

ordered pizza today from Buddy's in Livonia...probably some of the worst pizza I have ever had. I think I may actually rather have Chuck E Cheese pizza over Buddy's. I will never eat back here again.
You might be interested in knowing that the photos of the Buddy's pizza shown in the Slice article at http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/livonia-michigan-mi-great-detroit-style-pizza-at-buddys.html were taken at the Buddy's Livonia location.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1048 on: January 04, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »
They probably wouldn't be too happy if you posted a picture of one of your clones on their wall, Norma. All their customers would be asking how to get your pies instead of theirs!  :-D

The pie the other lady posed doesn't look so good, IMO.

CL

Craig,

I wouldnít post a picture of one of my Detroit style pizzas on Buddyís wall, but was just being devilish.  >:D The other lady sure doesnít know about this forum, or she could be making pizzas like Buddyís, or something close.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1049 on: January 04, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
Yep, Norma's pie up there would turn all the others into the...."wall of shame"   :-D

Bob,

Some of mine still arenít right and I even have excellent help.  :-D I am somewhat like Buddyís in I am not consistent.  :-D

Norma

pizzapan