Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 166468 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1420 on: February 07, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »
I worked on Gusís Detroit style 4-square pizza a little while yesterday and this morning.  I couldnít get the caramelized sides the right color even if I tried to mix colors, but I think customers will "get the drift" of what Detroit style pizza looks like.  I also didnít want to put the Detroit style pizza the whole way down in the steel pan, so I just made it to look like it was up somewhat in the steel pan (really plaster gauze and aluminum foil).  I did give the Detroit style pizza one coat of the Dura Clear Satin Varnish, but I am going to give it another coat and then let it dry.  I might purchase some kind of voice recorder that has a button to play back what was recorded and might get someone with a decent voice to record all about Detroit style pizzas if customers are interested in learning more about Detroit style pizzas.  I just have to find where to purchase one of those recorders. Tomorrow I will see what Gus looks like holding the Detroit style pizza and the steel pan unless the weather is too bad in our area.

I need to get started working on a much bigger project now and that is repainting my whole place where I live.  I dread starting that project. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1421 on: February 07, 2013, 11:53:44 AM »
Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1422 on: February 07, 2013, 03:15:25 PM »
Faaantastic looking Norma....I'd hit it!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1423 on: February 07, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »
Faaantastic looking Norma....I'd hit it!  ;D

Bob,

Thanks!  Do you mean the plaster one or the real Detroit style pizzas?  :-D

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1424 on: February 07, 2013, 07:20:10 PM »
Bob,

Thanks!  Do you mean the plaster one or the real Detroit style pizzas?  :-D

Norma
As long as it comes from your loving hands Norma..... :D

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1425 on: February 07, 2013, 07:35:03 PM »
We need a Nobel Prize for papier mache pizzas.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1426 on: February 07, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »
As long as it comes from your loving hands Norma..... :D

Bob,

:-D  I sure wouldn't want to try and eat that darn plaster Detroit style pizza.  I also don't know how loving my hands are.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1427 on: February 07, 2013, 08:04:24 PM »
We need a Nobel Prize for papier mache pizzas.

Gene,

That is a good one!  :P  I could have done a better job, but didn't want to take too much time on that pizza.  I made plenty of those paper mache things when I was a kid.  The plaster gauze made it a lot easier.

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1428 on: February 07, 2013, 11:56:33 PM »
In case anyone's interested, I just posted, on the Pizza Equipment thread, my recent discovery, that the Container Store's private label Clear Storage Boxes make terrific (and cheap) dough proofing boxes:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23305.msg236360.html#msg236360

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1429 on: February 08, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »
In case anyone's interested, I just posted, on the Pizza Equipment thread, my recent discovery, that the Container Store's private label Clear Storage Boxes make terrific (and cheap) dough proofing boxes:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23305.msg236360.html#msg236360

Gene

Gene,

Are the clear storage boxes from the Container Store made with food safe plastic?  That would be a concern I would have working in a commercial environment.  I know the plastic bags I use to store my dough balls at market have to be food safe plastic bags.

Norma 

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1430 on: February 08, 2013, 11:30:01 AM »
Gene,

Are the clear storage boxes from the Container Store made with food safe plastic?  That would be a concern I would have working in a commercial environment.  I know the plastic bags I use to store my dough balls at market have to be food safe plastic bags.

Norma 

Actually, the Dough Doctor raised the issue on my original thread - and gave me info that I did not know.  The boxes are "soft plastic," which the Doc says is required, but one would need to ask the Container Store if the plastic is food grade.  I'll try emailing them and see what response I get and post the response here if I get it.  But for now, I would assume that if some kind of official grading is required, that the Container Store would not even apply for one for boxes intended for shoes.

So I guess that leaves the commercial sector out, but I still think they're great for home use.  I would also guess, since you've already got an operating business, that you've already got your proofing boxes, aluminum bowls or whatever you use.

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1431 on: February 08, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »
Actually, the Dough Doctor raised the issue on my original thread - and gave me info that I did not know.  The boxes are "soft plastic," which the Doc says is required, but one would need to ask the Container Store if the plastic is food grade.  I'll try emailing them and see what response I get and post the response here if I get it.  But for now, I would assume that if some kind of official grading is required, that the Container Store would not even apply for one for boxes intended for shoes.

So I guess that leaves the commercial sector out, but I still think they're great for home use.  I would also guess, since you've already got an operating business, that you've already got your proofing boxes, aluminum bowls or whatever you use.

Gene

Gene,

Good to hear that Tom Lehmann said those boxes you got are okay for home use. 

I donít use regular proofing boxes because they take up too much room in my refrigerated equipment.  Tom Lehmann helped me solve that problem by telling me to use food safe plastic bags when I was first starting to make dough at market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1432 on: February 08, 2013, 04:36:07 PM »
I took Gusís Detroit style pizza and his steel pan to market today.  I guess he was happy with the Detroit style pizza, but really donít know.  I put Gus on my scale to see how heavy he was, but he was way to heavy for my scale.  The scale said HELP in the digital readout.  :-D

On another note when I was at market today I talked to someone that told me the one big stand in the main market building is now empty and they are going to renovate it with insulation and generally clean it up before they rent it out again.  It was a TV, parts and many other things stand for as long as I can remember.  I asked the person if the market has any vendor in mind for that stand.  He said he didnít know, so I went right up to the main office.  The market manager isnít in on Fridays, but I talked to the woman that works in the office.  I asked her if they had any vendors in mind for that stand.  She said there was a list of vendors that might want that stand.  I sure put my name on the list while I was there because I would love to be able to move into the main market building.  Right outside of that stand is a big picnic area and many other outside food vendors that do very well.  I know that part of the market is very busy, because that is the part of market where our other stand was.  I have talked to the market manager many times about moving if a space becomes available, but knew nothing about this stand becoming available until today.  I guess I will have to wait and try to talk to the market manager this coming Monday and see where it goes from there.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1433 on: February 08, 2013, 04:49:45 PM »
Norma,
Good luck on Monday with the market manager. I hope you get the new location, if anyone deserves it I think it should go to you.
Gus looks extra happy now it seems since he has your homemade pizza sitting on his tray. I think the scale/size of the pizza in a pan is perfect for Gus...you did a faaantastic job on that beauty!  :chef:

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1434 on: February 08, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
Definitely Nobel Papier Mache Peace Price potential.

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1435 on: February 08, 2013, 05:09:28 PM »
Norma,
Good luck on Monday with the market manager. I hope you get the new location, if anyone deserves it I think it should go to you.
Gus looks extra happy now it seems since he has your homemade pizza sitting on his tray. I think the scale/size of the pizza in a pan is perfect for Gus...you did a faaantastic job on that beauty!  :chef:

Bob,

Thanks for the good luck about the bigger stand.  I sure could use more space and also would like to be in the main market building.  I wonít get my hopes up too high until I see what happens.

Thanks also for saying you think Gus looks happy since he has a homemade pizza sitting on his tray.

Norma
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:45:51 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1436 on: February 08, 2013, 05:10:04 PM »
Definitely Nobel Papier Mache Peace Price potential.

Gene

Thanks Gene!

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1437 on: February 08, 2013, 05:33:38 PM »
Thanks Gene!

Norma

You're welcome, Norma!

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1438 on: February 11, 2013, 10:01:08 AM »
I wanted to try a Buddyís clone dough and pizza with 75% hydration (keeping the rest of the percentages I was using the same over the weekend at home), but didnít find to do that because I am trying to get some painting done at home.  I mixed a dough this morning with 75% hydration using my Kitchen Aid mixer.  I used speeds 1, 2 and 4, then left the dough rest for 15 minutes, then mixed again on speeds 5, 7 and 8.  I know that this is a small amount of dough to mix, but when mixed on high speeds it can be seen how the flat beater want to throw the dough off of the flat beater.  I donít know if this makes the dough stronger or not, but it seems to.  The dough didnít stick to my fingers.  Intensive mixing on high speeds does seem to work for me in making the dough less sticky too.  No stretch or folds were needed before balling.

The final dough temperature after the rest period and mixing again was 75.0 degrees F.  The poppy seeds were placed on the dough ball so I can see how much it ferments until tomorrow.

I also am going to make at least 3 dough balls at market today and put them into plastic bags to see how that works out.

Formulation I used below if anyone is interested.

Norma
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 07:54:03 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1439 on: February 11, 2013, 05:59:11 PM »
I mixed the Buddyís clone dough about the same at market today as last week with a rest period.  The dough is very manageable after double mixing and wasnít sticky.  The dough is soft.  I did put 3 dough balls in plastic bags to see if they are okay tomorrow, so maybe I would be able to cold ferment some dough balls in plastic bags to save space if I  start selling more Detroit style pizzas.

I also went and talked to the market manager today and he told me the big stand is going to be divided into two stands of varying sizes. He gave me a form to fill out for a proposal for use of vacant retail space.  The form asked what size stand space is requested, type of request (for a new stand, additional location or transfer to a new location).  It also asks the size of stand requested.  There is a big space to fill out for the description of use.  I told the market manager if I would be approved for a bigger stand at a new location I might want to sell another product or two.  I did mention Billís New England style hot dogs to sell and said I would make the rolls in my deck oven.  The market manager never heard of New England hot dogs, which I didnít either until Bill posted about them.  I donít know if anyone has any ideas of something else for me to sell at a bigger stand if I would get the bigger stand that wouldnít take a lot of extra work.  The form also asks how many years you have been at market.  A decision probably wonít be made until some time in March who will get the vacant stands.  There will have to be a board meeting to decide that.

Norma