Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 159948 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1440 on: February 11, 2013, 07:00:50 PM »
I wanted to try a Buddyís clone dough and pizza with 75% hydration (keeping the rest of the percentages I was using the same over the weekend at home), but didnít find to do that because I am trying to get some painting done at home.  I mixed a dough this morning with 75% hydration using my Kitchen Aid mixer.  I used speeds 1, 2 and 4, then left the dough rest for 15 minutes, then mixed again on speeds 5, 7 and 8.  I know that this is a small amount of dough to mix, but when mixed on high speeds it can be seen how the flat beater want to throw the dough off of the flat beater.  I donít know if this makes the dough stronger or not, but it seems to.  The dough didnít stick to my fingers.  Intensive mixing on high speeds does seem to work for me in making the dough less sticky too.  No stretch or folds were needed before balling.

The final dough temperature after the rest period and mixing again was 75.0 degrees F.  The poppy seeds were placed on the dough ball so I can see how much it ferments until tomorrow.

I also am going to make at least 3 dough balls at market today and put them into plastic bags to see how that works out.

Formulation I used below if anyone is interested.

Norma

The recipe at the bottom of your pic is too blurry to read.  Would it be too much trouble to type out the ingredients/percentages or take another, clearer, photo?

Thanks!

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1441 on: February 11, 2013, 07:56:41 PM »
The recipe at the bottom of your pic is too blurry to read.  Would it be too much trouble to type out the ingredients/percentages or take another, clearer, photo?

Thanks!

Gene

Gene,

I changed the picture at Reply 1438 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg236807.html#msg236807  If you need to know anything else, I can type it out.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1442 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:10 PM »
Gene,

I changed the picture at Reply 1438 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg236807.html#msg236807  If you need to know anything else, I can type it out.

Norma

Norma,

Much better!  Thanks!

Now, I just need to get the cheese not to stick to the side of the pan.  No matter how I season it, it still happens.  I think you said that you bought the pre-seasoned pans from Detroit Style Pizza Co.  So they work fine, out of the box?

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1443 on: February 12, 2013, 06:40:11 AM »
Norma,

Much better!  Thanks!

Now, I just need to get the cheese not to stick to the side of the pan.  No matter how I season it, it still happens.  I think you said that you bought the pre-seasoned pans from Detroit Style Pizza Co.  So they work fine, out of the box?

Gene

Gene,

I donít think I will continue to use the formulation with 75% hydration, but will see how it works out today.  Right now the formulation with 71.023% hydration seems to work well for me. 

Yes, I did purchase most of my steel pans from the Detroit Style Pizza Co.  I did season them more before I tried to use them and do season them at the end of the night at market.  I donít know how the steel pans will work right out of the box, but the instructions do say to season more.  Some of my steel pans are flaking some at different spots, even though I have tried to take care of them and do use a thin metal spatula if any cheese might be stuck to the sides of the steel pans.  If you look at Slices MPM this week you can also see where SonnyC79 commented that his steel pans also flake some after repeated uses. http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/02/20130211-my-pie-monday.html?ref=title  Sonny does give his recipe and methods on that MPM thread also.  Sonny said much of it was from the Buddyís thread.  I couldnít get Sonnyís Sendspace instructions to download right, so I couldnít see the steps and photos he shared.

Where did you purchase you steel pans? 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1444 on: February 12, 2013, 06:57:10 AM »
For anyone that is interested a few weeks ago I sent Shawn Randazzo an email since he appears to be trying to spread the word about Detroit style pizzas.  I wrote in the email that I had purchased some of Detroit Style Pizza Co. steel pans and I was making Detroit style pizzas at market here in Pa. and attached a few photos of my Detroit style pizzas.  I really didnít expect to receive a return email from Shawn Randazzo, but did receive one yesterday.  This is what Shawn replied.

Hi Norma,

This is awesome. Your pizzas look wonderful! Keep up the great baking and you are doing a great job about spreading the word about this wonderful style of pizza. Very nice blog :)

Thank you for sending me the email,

Shawn Randazzo - President
Detroit Style Pizza Co.

I thought after receiving the reply from Shawn I would try to ask him if he knows if much salt, or any salt is used in Detroit style pizza doughs and other questions.  I highly doubt if I will get a reply when asking that question, but what harm is done in asking.  I said I did have a real Detroit style pizza, but didnít say where I had it from in the email.  I said I had made many doughs and the crumb, or crust tasted bland to me and sure didnít taste like any salt was added to the dough.

Also an update on that Buddyís never answered me on facebook.  Buddyís has posted other things since then on facebook.

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1445 on: February 12, 2013, 03:02:05 PM »
Now, I just need to get the cheese not to stick to the side of the pan.  No matter how I season it, it still happens.
How are you seasoning the pans?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1446 on: February 12, 2013, 08:29:11 PM »
For anyone that is interested I was surprised that I received a reply from Shawn Randazzo today.  This is what Shawn said.

Hello Norma,

Thank you very much!

I know we use salt in our dough and sugar. There are a couple places I know that donít use sugar, but not sure on the salt. I do know what you are saying though. There are a couple that are very bland like Sheilds and Cloverleaf, but not sure if they use salt or not in their recipe.

I wish you the best of luck and hope the style takes off in your town as well. It has been doing great in other parts of the country. Keep up the great baking, your pies do look really good. Maybe I can visit if I am ever in the area.

Best Regards,
Shawn Randazzo - President
Detroit Style Pizza Co.

I would feel honored if Shawn ever visited my small pizza stand and really would like to know what he thinks of my Detroit style pizzas after tasting them.  

Norma
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:02:08 PM by norma427 »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1447 on: February 12, 2013, 08:39:50 PM »
....and sugar.
Is this news to you Norma?  Seems you have a new admirer...smart man.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1448 on: February 12, 2013, 09:06:41 PM »
....and sugar.
Is this news to you Norma?  Seems you have a new admirer...smart man.  ;)

Bob,

Yes, sugar is new to me in a dough for a Detroit style pizza.  I would really like to meet Shawn and have him show me a few tricks about how to make a Detroit style pizza. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1449 on: February 12, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »
The Buddyís clone dough with 75% hydration when baked into a pizza worked out very well today.  The picture of the dough ball with the poppy seed spacings was taken at about 3:41 PM.  At 3:42 PM the dough was spread out in the steel pan and then went to the Hatco Unit for tempering at 3:44 PM.  At 4:30 PM I thought the dough had tempered enough and then dressed the dough with pepperoni, cheese and then sauce.  Steve and I thought the crumb was more tender than when using my other hydration.  The first picture of the dough in the steel pan was taken before tempering and the second picture of the dough in the steel pan was taken after tempering. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1450 on: February 12, 2013, 09:13:03 PM »
The intensive mixing and rest period really seemed to help this dough in my opinion.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1451 on: February 12, 2013, 09:14:36 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1452 on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:53 PM »
Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1453 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:47 PM »
That third from the last picture (edge shot) looks prefect.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1454 on: February 12, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
+1   The oiloff from the cheese dripped down to the lower portion of the crust...that's flavor town right there.  ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1455 on: February 12, 2013, 10:52:18 PM »

Thanks Craig!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1456 on: February 12, 2013, 10:54:22 PM »
+1   The oiloff from the cheese dripped down to the lower portion of the crust...that's flavor town right there.  ;)

Bob,

The AMPI mild white cheddar does oil off a lot.  This type of pizza does have good flavor all around in my opinion, but is way to fattening.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1457 on: February 13, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »
I am still trying different dressings for the Detroit style pizzas at market.  I tried a sausage meatball with roasted red peppers, regular sliced thin mushrooms and Greek oregano yesterday.  To me the mushrooms didnít seem to water-off too much and they seemed to bake a decent color in the longer bake of a Detroit style pizza.  That pizza was made from one of the dough balls that was stored in a plastic bag.  The first picture is what the dough balls in the plastic bags looked like yesterday morning.  The second to the last pizza of the day was also made with one of the dough balls in the plastic bag.  It seems like the plastic bags work out okay for fermenting the Detroit style dough balls.  I saved one of the dough balls in the plastic bags to see if it is frozen and then defrosted next week if there is any possibility that it will work okay in the tempering period and the final bake.  I sure donít know how a dough with this high amount of yeast will work out the next week if it is frozen. 

I also was watching yesterday somewhat how these Detroit style pizza bake.  I want to try and understand if not using enough cheese on the edges makes the final pizza puffier in the edges.  I noticed that while watching one Detroit style pizza bake closer that the edges of the pizza do first rise in the bake and then the middle of the pizza rises later.  I guess that is from the perimeter of the edges of the steel pan getting hotter faster, but am not sure.  I also purposely didnít apply sauce to the edges on the one pizza with half cheese and sauce on one side and cheese sauce and pepperoni on the other side.  It can be seen how the edges without the sauce does seem to puff up better when no sauce is applied. 

I also just tried my regular pepperoni on top of the Detroit style pizzas yesterday on a few pizzas and my regular pepperoni does work out okay in the longer bake time.

I am lucky that I can purchase just about any fresh veggies at market to try for different dressings, but soon I will have to decide on what dressings to use regularly.   

I also tried out a 3 meat pizza with veggies yesterday.  The 3 meats were sliced meatballs, spicy cappicola ham and salami.  That worked out okay too.

The tempering time in the Hatco Unit at 45 minutes seems about right at about 104 degrees F.  I donít know if I up the temperature some if the doughs will temper faster though. 

More customers were introduced to Detroit style pizzas yesterday and from the opinions I heard they were favorable that customers do like a Detroit style pizza when they taste one. 

I also had a lady stop by my stand yesterday and talked to her a little.  She said she is from Detroit, but lives in our area now.  She said she has tasted Buddyís pizzas and does really like them.  I asked the lady if my Detroit style pizzas look anything like Buddyís and she said they did.  I told the lady that I would be interested in her opinion of my Detroit style pizza in comparison to Buddyís pizza if she ever decides to taste one of my Detroit style pizzas.  The lady told me she has been on a diet for a long while so she isnít eating pizza right now.  I asked the lady if she knows anyone else in our area that is also from Detroit if she would tell them about my Detroit style pizzas to see if they ever want to try one of my Detroit style pizzas to see how they think they taste.  The lady said she would mention my Detroit style pizzas. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1458 on: February 13, 2013, 08:09:11 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1459 on: February 13, 2013, 08:10:35 AM »
Norma