Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 107877 times)

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1640 on: March 02, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »
I'd be happy to, should Norma offer up anymore leftover dough! ;D

So you're totally dependent on Norma...  :^)

Gene

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1641 on: March 02, 2013, 11:27:16 PM »

Gene

I know I am...a day without Norma pizza pics is like a day without sunshine.  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Ev

« Reply #1642 on: March 03, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »

Gene

Well, maybe not totally, but she is dependable!

How-bow-chew? Made any pizza lately?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1643 on: March 03, 2013, 08:28:17 AM »

Gene

Gene,

Steve does make Detroit style pizzas that he doesnít post about here on the forum.  He also has an old Airstream trailer that he converted into a pizza camper. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21856.0.html  Steve takes his Airstream camper to a market (something like the market I go to) to sell his sourdough and NY style pizzas. 

I think in reality that Steve makes more pizzas at home than I do.  :-D Steve just doesnít post about many of his experiments like I do. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1644 on: March 03, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
This post is dedicated to Craig for telling me how to make his butter, cinnamon and sugar Detroit style pizza.  :chef: Craig gave me what amounts of ingredients to use at Reply 135 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21992.msg237134.html#msg237134

The butter, cinnamon and sugar Detroit style pizza sure was great tasting, with a crispy bottom.  All the flavors went well together.  The slice I ate tasted luscious.  The smell in the kitchen was also great.   ;D

The dough pressed out easily when it first was balled.

I always wondered if the dough really did contracted in the steel pans, but couldnít really tell since the caramelized cheese was also on the edges.  The dough did contact when making this pizza.  The whole pizza just slide out of the steel pan really easy.  The steel pan is fine after making this pizza.

Thanks Craig, I have to remember to take some butter over to market to see if my customers like this pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1645 on: March 03, 2013, 11:48:18 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1646 on: March 03, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1647 on: March 03, 2013, 11:50:58 AM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1648 on: March 03, 2013, 12:11:28 PM »
Norma,

Your Detroit style dessert pizza does look quite tasty. Did you actually use cheese on that pizza?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1649 on: March 03, 2013, 12:19:12 PM »
Norma,

Your Detroit style dessert pizza does look quite tasty. Did you actually use cheese on that pizza?

Peter

Peter,

The recipe Craig gave me sure did make a tasty Detroit style pizza.  No cheese was used on this pizza.  Just 6 1/2 tablespoons of melted butter, cinnamon and sugar.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1650 on: March 03, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
I always wondered if the dough really did contracted in the steel pans, but couldnít really tell since the caramelized cheese was also on the edges.  The dough did contact when making this pizza.  The whole pizza just slide out of the steel pan really easy.  The steel pan is fine after making this pizza.

Norma,

I read your post too fast and misread your statement about the caramelized cheese. However, you might be interested to know that at the Detroit Style Pizza Co. website at http://detroitstylepizza.co/mailorderpizza/ it says that its pizzas (mail-order) are 7" x 9". Those are baked in the 8" x 10" pans. The same was also true when PizzaHog took photos of one of Jet's pizzas, as noted at Reply 70 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg135948.html#msg135948. In that post, he said that the dimensions of the Jet's pizza he purchased were 6 7/8" by 8 7/8". That's essentially 7" x 9".

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1651 on: March 03, 2013, 01:36:16 PM »
Norma,

I read your post too fast and misread your statement about the caramelized cheese. However, you might be interested to know that at the Detroit Style Pizza Co. website at http://detroitstylepizza.co/mailorderpizza/ it says that its pizzas (mail-order) are 7" x 9". Those are baked in the 8" x 10" pans. The same was also true when PizzaHog took photos of one of Jet's pizzas, as noted at Reply 70 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg135948.html#msg135948. In that post, he said that the dimensions of the Jet's pizza he purchased were 6 7/8" by 8 7/8". That's essentially 7" x 9".

Peter

Peter,

I was interested in knowing that at the Detroit Style Pizza Co. website says their (mail-order) pizzas are 7Ēx9Ē.  I didnít note either when PizzaHog said what the measurements were when PizzaHog measured the Jetís pizza. 

I think Gene asked me back at Reply 1584 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg239876.html#msg239876 about if the cheese actually pulls away from the sides while the pie is baking.  I replied to what Gene had posted at Reply 1586  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg239887.html#msg239887 and didnít really think the caramelized cheese really pulled away from the pan.  I can see now that the dough does pull away from the pan when baking. 

The butter, cinnamon and sugar Detroit style pizza reminded me of some kind of dessert the sticky bun stand sells at market, but I canít recall what those squares are called.  I used to love them, but havenít purchased any for many years. 

Maybe someone else will come up with more ideas for a dessert Detroit style pizza.

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1652 on: March 03, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »
Peter,

Somehow I missed your post at Reply 1615 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg240556.html#msg240556 Thank you for telling me the terms pre-bake and par-bake are often used synonymously, however you prefer to to use the term par-bake for crusts that are to be baked and then set aside in bags or other storage area for longer term use.  

Thanks also for telling me to use multiple search terms when I am searching here on the forum or at PMQTT.  

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1653 on: March 03, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
Well, maybe not totally, but she is dependable!

How-bow-chew? Made any pizza lately?

I've been making a pizza every Saturday and Sunday (can't do it everyday or I'll get fat!), but I'm not a "natural cook" and so far, none of my DS pizzas has been worth photographing and posting.

One problem is that brick cheese is not available in NYC, so I'm trying other combos to come up with something I like.  But my main problem is what kind and how much oil to use and how long to bake and at what temperature to get a crispy bottom crust without the edge-cheese sticking to the pan sides.  Last night, I tried applying a liberal amount of canola oil with a paintbrush, par-baking the dough for 3 minutes at 500 degrees, then "painting" more canola oil on the sides before putting the white cheddar around the edges.  I baked the pie at 500 (or was it 550?) degrees for 12 more minutes.  The end result was a pie with a soggy, not crispy bottom and on two sides, the cheese had "slopped over" the crust and there was no crust at all.  On the other two sides, I got a crispy crust.

Also, I've been baking on a pizza stone, but Buddy's and others use a conveyor oven, so maybe I should bake on a rack, instead of a stone?

I'm using Better for Bread flower in the "standard" 100%-75% flour-water ratio that seems to be giving good results.

So any advice anyone cares to offer about what oil and how much to use in the pan, how to apply the oil, baking temperatures and times, whether I should put the pan on a pizza stone or on the oven shelf, would be greatly appreciated.

Gene

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1654 on: March 03, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
Are you thinking of those Cinnabon you see at the mall Norma? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabon

For a suggestion, I will say how about something like an apple or peach crisp/cobbler type of topping on your DS dough. :chef:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 01:46:38 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1655 on: March 03, 2013, 01:45:45 PM »

The butter, cinnamon and sugar Detroit style pizza reminded me of some kind of dessert the sticky bun stand sells at market, but I canít recall what those squares are called.  I used to love them, but havenít purchased any for many years. 

Maybe someone else will come up with more ideas for a dessert Detroit style pizza.

Norma 

Norma,

Well, if you've got sugar, especially brown sugar, and cinnamon, I think you've basically got a cinnamon bun.

I tried something similar, except that I baked the dough "naked" and after I took the finished dough out of the oven, I brushed the top with lots of melted butter and sprinkled homemade cinnamon sugar (made with brown sugar) liberally on top.

Gene

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1656 on: March 03, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
Thanks also for telling me to use multiple search terms when I am searching here on the forum or at PMQTT.  
Norma,

Steve (the owner of this forum) has made several changes to the new version of the forum's search engine that I have been testing, and I believe that I can safely say that you and I and many other members will see a big improvement in the search function. Set your clock for March 10.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:39:41 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1657 on: March 03, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »

So any advice anyone cares to offer about what oil and how much to use in the pan, how to apply the oil, baking temperatures and times, whether I should put the pan on a pizza stone or on the oven shelf, would be greatly appreciated.

Gene

Gene,

If your steel pans are seasoned properly there shouldnít be a lot of sticking issues.  I do have them at times though.  Maybe you could try butter flavored Crisco when you bake the pizza.  I have tried Canola oil and shortening in my pans and either seems to work well.  If your steel pans are seasoned enough I would think about a little more than a tablespoon of oil would do the job to bake.  Just make sure you brush the oil on all bare spots and add a little more if the pan isnĎt coated.  When I use shortening I donít use a lot for the bake either.  I just make sure all the bare steel is covered with shortening.  I do bake on a pizza stone at home and at market.  You can see my baking times on this thread.  At home it is almost 15 minutes and about the same at market.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1658 on: March 03, 2013, 02:23:40 PM »
Are you thinking of those Cinnabon you see at the mall Norma? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnabon

For a suggestion, I will say how about something like an apple or peach crisp/cobbler type of topping on your DS dough. :chef:

Bob,

No, it isn't like a Cinnabon I see at the mall.  It is some kind of what basically looks almost the same as the Detroit style pizza I made with the melted butter, white sugar and cinnamon.  There isn't as much toppings as I applied though and the crust is thinner.  I have to see what they are called this coming Tuesday if they still are making them.

An apple and peach crisp/cobbler type sounds very good.  I will have to watch myself though, because I try to stay away from that kind of stuff the best I can.   :-D  It might be too tempting if it is right there though. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1659 on: March 03, 2013, 02:25:06 PM »
Norma,

Well, if you've got sugar, especially brown sugar, and cinnamon, I think you've basically got a cinnamon bun.

I tried something similar, except that I baked the dough "naked" and after I took the finished dough out of the oven, I brushed the top with lots of melted butter and sprinkled homemade cinnamon sugar (made with brown sugar) liberally on top.

Gene

Gene,

I used white sugar.  Yours sounds delicious too!   ;D

Norma
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 02:32:02 PM by norma427 »