Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 107922 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1660 on: March 03, 2013, 02:30:30 PM »
Norma,

Steve (the owner of this forum) has made several changes to the new version of the forum's search engine that I have been testing, and I believe that I can safely say that you and I and many other members will see a big improvement in the search function. Set your clock for March 10.

Peter

Peter,

That is great news that Steve (the owner of this forum) has made several changes to the new version and it will make searching easier.  8) I will set my clock for March 10th, but I might go nuts on March 9th without the forum to wake me up.  :'( I see you signed your name as Norma.   :-D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1661 on: March 03, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
I see you signed your name as Norma.Norma
Norma,

Thanks, I have corrected that. I must have gotten too excited over the prospects of an improved search function.

Norma

Oops, Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1662 on: March 03, 2013, 02:52:51 PM »
Norma,

Thanks, I have corrected that. I must have gotten too excited over the prospects of an improved search function.

Norma

Oops, Peter

Peter,

I can understand you especially would be very excited about the prospects of an improved search function.  I think most members will also like an improved search function.

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1663 on: March 03, 2013, 02:56:33 PM »
Bob,

No, it isn't like a Cinnabon I see at the mall.  It is some kind of what basically looks almost the same as the Detroit style pizza I made with the melted butter, white sugar and cinnamon.  There isn't as much toppings as I applied though and the crust is thinner.  I have to see what they are called this coming Tuesday if they still are making them.

An apple and peach crisp/cobbler type sounds very good.  I will have to watch myself though, because I try to stay away from that kind of stuff the best I can.   :-D  It might be too tempting if it is right there though. 

Norma

Norma,

Of course, the Cinnabon rolls are actual rolls, with frosting on top; I was really just referring to the filling ingredients, which are butter, sugar and cinnamon:  http://goo.gl/cPoqe

But if you looked at the Paula Deen recipe I linked to, perhaps you noticed the "optional" ingredients:  raisins, walnuts and pecans.  Maybe when you make your next one...  :^)

Gene

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1664 on: March 03, 2013, 03:13:57 PM »
Looks great Norma. I need to make that again!

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1665 on: March 03, 2013, 03:15:58 PM »
Norma,

Of course, the Cinnabon rolls are actual rolls, with frosting on top; I was really just referring to the filling ingredients, which are butter, sugar and cinnamon:  http://goo.gl/cPoqe

But if you looked at the Paula Deen recipe I linked to, perhaps you noticed the "optional" ingredients:  raisins, walnuts and pecans.  Maybe when you make your next one...  :^)

Gene

Gene,

The raisins, walnuts and pecans sound good.  I first have to see if customers are even interested in a dessert Detroit style.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1666 on: March 03, 2013, 03:17:45 PM »
Looks great Norma. I need to make that again!

CL

Thanks Craig for you first inventing this type of Detroit style!  ;) I know I will make them more now since I tried your methods.

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1667 on: March 03, 2013, 03:30:09 PM »
Gene,

The raisins, walnuts and pecans sound good.  I first have to see if customers are even interested in a dessert Detroit style.

Norma

Norma,

Only way to find out is to make one.  If no one likes it, you can send it to me.

Gene

Offline Ev

« Reply #1668 on: March 03, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
Gene,
 I've been using shortening to coat my pans and baking without the stone. I used to bake on a stone but have better results without. I have good results baking at 500 in the middle of the oven, though I usually have to lay a sheet of foil over the pans about halfway through to keep from over cooking the top.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1669 on: March 03, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »
Norma,

Only way to find out is to make one.  If no one likes it, you can send it to me.

Gene

Gene,

I know the only way to know is to try and make one and see what customers think.  I would think the dessert pizza would be stale if I sent you one though.  I can't add to many expensive toppings.  The butter alone costs enough.  I know how high in costs nuts are right now because I do eat nuts all the time. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1670 on: March 05, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
This post is for anyone that is interested if what those squares at the sticky bun stand are called.  They are called Moravian Sugar Cakes.  I went to the Sticky Bun and their baked goods stand at market today to see what they were.  I purchased 2 (one for me and one for Steve).  It has been about 9 years since I have eaten Moravian Sugar Cakes and had forgotten in my post at Reply 1651 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg240982.html#msg240982 what the Moravian Sugar Cakes were called when I was trying to recall what the butter, cinnamon, white sugar Detroit style pizza I made from Craigís recipe tasted like.  Dang, my memory must sure be getting bad that I canít recall what those squares were called about 9 years ago.   :-D

It can been how cheap those squares are.  They were just as I had remembered them and were quite delicious.  They have dimples placed in the dough that has more of the cinnamon and sugar, or either the cinnamon and sugar ends up that way from the dimples.  I believe they also brush them with butter, but am not sure.  I think it can be seen in the background how big the Blodgett ovens are that they bake their sticky buns in and also their other baked products.

Steve and I tried a Detroit pizza with butter, cinnamon and white sugar today.  Steve also really liked this pizza.  I guess someone wouldnít need to add as much butter, cinnamon and sugar like I did for a Detroit style for them to be more like the Moravian Sugar Cakes.

The last picture is a slice of the Detroit style pizza we made today.

Norma  

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1671 on: March 05, 2013, 09:30:37 PM »
Sorry, I forgot to post what the crumb of the Moravian Sugar Cake looked like.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1672 on: March 05, 2013, 09:52:49 PM »
I have been on the search for a different cheese for my Detroit style pizzas at market.  I purchased a block (44.37 lbs.) of a different kind of cheese to try today.  That sure was one big block of cheese.  I really liked how this new cheese melted and tasted on the one Detroit style pizza I tried later today.  I think this will be my special cheese to use on my Detroit style pizzas after trying it today.  I will then be somewhat like all the other ďbig boyĒ Detroit style pizza businesses that use their own unique cheese, or cheeses on their Detroit style pizzas. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1673 on: March 05, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
This new cheese grated nicely too and doesn't clump together at all.

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1674 on: March 05, 2013, 11:22:06 PM »
Gene,
 I've been using shortening to coat my pans and baking without the stone. I used to bake on a stone but have better results without. I have good results baking at 500 in the middle of the oven, though I usually have to lay a sheet of foil over the pans about halfway through to keep from over cooking the top.

Foil - that's not a bad idea.  I'll try it.

Thanks.

Gene

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1675 on: March 05, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »
Gene,

I know the only way to know is to try and make one and see what customers think.  I would think the dessert pizza would be stale if I sent you one though.  I can't add to many expensive toppings.  The butter alone costs enough.  I know how high in costs nuts are right now because I do eat nuts all the time. 

Norma

Norma,

Living in New York, I see plenty of nuts on the subway every day.  If I could find a way, I'd send you some.  For free...  :^)

Gene

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1676 on: March 05, 2013, 11:27:25 PM »
I have been on the search for a different cheese for my Detroit style pizzas at market.  I purchased a block (44.37 lbs.) of a different kind of cheese to try today.  That sure was one big block of cheese.  I really liked how this new cheese melted and tasted on the one Detroit style pizza I tried later today.  I think this will be my special cheese to use on my Detroit style pizzas after trying it today.  I will then be somewhat like all the other ďbig boyĒ Detroit style pizza businesses that use their own unique cheese, or cheeses on their Detroit style pizzas. 

Norma

Norma,

What kind of cheese is it - or is it a trade secret?

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1677 on: March 06, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
Norma,

What kind of cheese is it - or is it a trade secret?

Gene

Gene,

I really donít like to post this, but the new cheese I used yesterday (with my other cheeses is going to be my proprietary cheeses for now).  I have spent a fair amount of time and fair amount of money trying to find a cheese, or cheeses that might work on my Detroit style pizzas.  I hope you can find the right cheese, or blend of cheeses for your Detroit style pizzas.  I think there are many cheeses or cheese blends that might work if you tried them.

Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1678 on: March 06, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
Gene,

I really donít like to post this, but the new cheese I used yesterday (with my other cheeses is going to be my proprietary cheeses for now).  I have spent a fair amount of time and fair amount of money trying to find a cheese, or cheeses that might work on my Detroit style pizzas.  I hope you can find the right cheese, or blend of cheeses for your Detroit style pizzas.  I think there are many cheeses or cheese blends that might work if you tried them.

Norma
Norma,

I think it makes it more fun to have a "secret ingredient". Its the spice of life! But just make sure that you don't hurt yourself lifting that 1 Ton brick o' cheese!

John K

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1679 on: March 06, 2013, 10:16:16 AM »
Norma,

I think it makes it more fun to have a "secret ingredient". Its the spice of life! But just make sure that you don't hurt yourself lifting that 1 Ton brick o' cheese!

John K

John,

Thanks for posting you think it makes it more fun to have a ďsecret ingredientĒ.  Yes, the cheese block was very heavy and was hard to slice into pieces so the cheese could be stored.  Steve helped with that.  8)  I did more damage to myself while try to move my Hobart mixer 6 times in the weeks my pizza prep fridge didnít work right.  I had to move that bugger back and forth 3 times.  I damaged my whole one shoulder doing that.  My collar bone and right shoulder are getting better now though.

Norma

pizzapan