Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 157372 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1680 on: March 06, 2013, 03:50:10 PM »
Norma,
I'm glad your shoulder and collar bone are feeling better now. The things you do in the name of "pizza"....I tell you.  8)
Also glad to hear you finally found your cheese...yeaaa!!   :drool:
Don't you tell nobody NOTHING about that cheese girl....I hope you sell a million Detroit style pizza's with it!   ;)

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1681 on: March 06, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »
Norma,
I'm glad your shoulder and collar bone are feeling better now. The things you do in the name of "pizza"....I tell you.  8)
Also glad to hear you finally found your cheese...yeaaa!!   :drool:
Don't you tell nobody NOTHING about that cheese girl....I hope you sell a million Detroit style pizza's with it!   ;)

Bob,

Thanks for posting that you are glad my shoulder and collar bone are feeling somewhat better now.  ;) That one bone right below my neck was sticking way out and my doctor said if was really had a lot of inflammation in it.  The day after the last time I moved that heavy Hobart mixer I could hardly lift my arm above my head.  I am getting to old to do that kind of stuff anymore.  :-D I agree, the things that we do to make pizza can sometimes be crazy.  >:D I guess that is why members go to many lengths to make the kind of pizzas they want.  

I think this is the kind of cheese I am going to stick with. I appreciate you posted that you hope I sell a million Detroit style pizzas.  I donít think I will ever live to see that, but the journey is fun.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1682 on: March 06, 2013, 07:33:07 PM »
Gene,

I really donít like to post this, but the new cheese I used yesterday (with my other cheeses is going to be my proprietary cheeses for now).  I have spent a fair amount of time and fair amount of money trying to find a cheese, or cheeses that might work on my Detroit style pizzas.  I hope you can find the right cheese, or blend of cheeses for your Detroit style pizzas.  I think there are many cheeses or cheese blends that might work if you tried them.

Norma

Norma,

No problem.  Because it was a block of one cheese instead of a mixture of multiple cheeses, that it was some off-the-shelf brand-name cheese that you wouldn't mind sharing.

In my case, it's more a matter of necessity than trying to come up with something new.  I would be happy to use brick cheese, but it's just not available here in NYC and I'm not happy with straight mozzarella, so I need to find a substitute.

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1683 on: March 06, 2013, 08:15:07 PM »
Norma,

No problem.  Because it was a block of one cheese instead of a mixture of multiple cheeses, that it was some off-the-shelf brand-name cheese that you wouldn't mind sharing.

In my case, it's more a matter of necessity than trying to come up with something new.  I would be happy to use brick cheese, but it's just not available here in NYC and I'm not happy with straight mozzarella, so I need to find a substitute.

Gene

Gene,

The cheese in the big block canít be purchased off the shelf.  I can tell you though that I did use a blend of cheeses on the middle of my Detroit style pizza that I posted about yesterday. I have posted about those cheeses on this thread.  I would think you would have greater access to different cheeses since you live in NYC.  Maybe if you asked friends that are in the pizza business, or foodservice distributors you could find a variety of cheeses to try on your Detroit style pizzas.  If you find a food broker in NYC they might send you some samples of cheese, or cheeses to try.  I also did like the AMPI mild white cheddar very much that I tried on this thread.

Best of luck in finding the right cheese, or cheeses for your Detroit style pizza.  ;)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1684 on: March 06, 2013, 08:56:49 PM »
This post is just about a few more Detroit style pizzas made yesterday. 

The first set of photos was of the first pizza made yesterday.  The second set of photos was of a Detroit style pizza that was made on my lower deck in the afternoon.  I donít know if anyone can recall, but when first trying to make Detroit style pizzas on my bottom deck it didnít work out before.  At least I know now that the Detroit style pizzas can be also baked on my bottom deck now.  The third two pictures are just a larger Detroit style pizza sitting in the heated cabinet.  The fourth two photos are of the dough ball I tried in the plastic bag.  It also worked out well, but I forgot to take pictures of the final pizza.  I am learning more all the time of different things to try, but am not officially there yet and might never be.

I also had a few interesting comments from customers yesterday when they tried their first Detroit style pizzas.   

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1685 on: March 06, 2013, 08:58:30 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1686 on: March 06, 2013, 09:00:05 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1687 on: March 06, 2013, 09:01:12 PM »
Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1688 on: March 06, 2013, 09:53:33 PM »
Ooooo baby!! Is this the new cheese Norma.....whatever it is it is down right awesome looking>  :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1689 on: March 06, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
Ooooo baby!! Is this the new cheese Norma.....whatever it is it is down right awesome looking>  :chef:

Bob,

Lol, no that isn't the new cheese.   :-D  Those cheeses were the AMPI mild cheddar and my blend of mozzarellas.  That light in the heated display cabinet just make the whole pizza look better.   >:D  I believe the pizzas like the light of that cabinet better for "the noir ambience is dominated by low-key lighting".  I really don't think pizzas like fluorescent lighting.

Norma

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1690 on: March 06, 2013, 11:20:08 PM »
Oh..OK Norma, thanks. It sure does look good and I know you would never use trick photograpy. My old eyes like that mood lighting too.  ;)
Say, I didn't know you speak French Norma!?!?   ???   Awesome!!  :chef:

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1691 on: March 06, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »
Oh..OK Norma, thanks. It sure does look good and I know you would never use trick photograpy. My old eyes like that mood lighting too.  ;)
Say, I didn't know you speak French Norma!?!?   ???   Awesome!!  :chef:

Bob,

Thanks for saying it looks good.  No, I never use trick photography, just my cheap camera.  I like better lighting too.  8)  I don't speak any French other than a couple of words. 

Norma

Offline pete zappie

« Reply #1692 on: March 07, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »
hi Norma
prolly a few pages late on this but anyway here is a Detroit desert i made a while back before i received my Detroit pans . it is nuttela-rasberry-and  marshmallow. the marshmallow caramelized like the cheddar , it was devoured before i could get off another shot, was a big hit and i make em all the time now..

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1693 on: March 07, 2013, 07:49:31 PM »
hi Norma
prolly a few pages late on this but anyway here is a Detroit desert i made a while back before i received my Detroit pans . it is nuttela-rasberry-and  marshmallow. the marshmallow caramelized like the cheddar , it was devoured before i could get off another shot, was a big hit and i make em all the time now..

pete,

Never to late.  I really like your creative idea of a dessert Detroit style pizza.  ;D Your combination of dressings sound very good together and the marshmallow caramelizing like cheddar is amazing.  I can understand why it was devoured before you could get another shot.  I have to try that sometime. 

Thanks for the great idea!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1694 on: March 11, 2013, 09:40:55 AM »
Buddyís Pizza posted this on its facebook page this morning and gave this link.

Need more proof that we're a Pure Michigan - based business? Buddy's has been honored by two statewide awards. We are so thankful to our longtime customers who have supported us over the years and to the organizations who have chosen to recognize us:

http://www.examiner.com/article/buddy-s-pizza-earns-two-statewide-awards

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1695 on: March 13, 2013, 08:17:24 PM »
These are just a few more photos of the Detroit style pizzas yesterday.  The first one pictured is Pete-zzaís Tex Italiano.  Customers like it.  I also tried a different topping Detroit style pizza yesterday.  I purchased Feta cheese and green and black Kalamata olives at the Greek stand at market and then added cubed Roma tomatoes and tomato sauce.  I thought the part Greek toppings Detroit style was very good. 

I am not sure why, but the dough seemed more sticky on Monday after it was mixed the same as before.  The dough did ball okay, but there was more problems with balling than before.  I am not sure if since it was a lot more humid at market on Monday if that is why the dough felt sticker or not.  The dough seemed to temper faster yesterday too, but the pizzas baked the same as other weeks.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:20:47 PM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1696 on: March 14, 2013, 10:28:09 AM »
From Buddy's facebook page. 

Buddy's Pizza shared Visit Detroit's photo.

It's 3-14, and you know what that meansÖ it's (PIZZA) PI DAY! Who do YOU think serves up the best pizza in Detroit? Vote here: https://www.facebook.com/questions/10151357873262717/

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1697 on: March 18, 2013, 06:06:37 PM »
I never saw this happen before, but I had to freeze some of the cheese from the big block.  I did freeze different cheeses before, but never tried to grate partly defrosted cheese until today.   The cheese sure didnít grate the same when it was partially frozen.  It looked like it was more diced than grated.  I did grate the cheese the same way I always grate the cheese in the Pelican head grater.

I wonder if any other member ever tried to grate partially defrosted cheese.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1698 on: March 20, 2013, 09:20:03 AM »
I sure donít know, but now believe that when freezing the cheese I use for my Detroit style pizza, somehow the freezing does change the cheese.  The melting ability of the cheese is still the same though.  I needed some more cheese grated later yesterday afternoon and that cheese was completely defrosted.   That altogether defrosted cheese also grated more in dices, than in strands. 

I also changed the yeast amount for my Detroit style dough this past Monday since the dough seemed to have too many bubbles in it last week when pressing the dough out in the steel pans.  The dough behaved well yesterday with the decrease in the yeast amount.

I made a Evís Smokey Joeís Detroit style pizza yesterday, but it was modified to include spinach.  The dressings were the regular cheeses, crumbed bacon, spinach, some Gouda smoked cheese and Garlic Alfredo sauce with a sprinkling of Greek oregano over the top.

I also am making some of the bigger Detroit style pizzas with two different sets of topping on opposite sides.

Norma
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:23:35 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1699 on: March 20, 2013, 09:23:11 AM »
Norma