Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 152828 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1720 on: April 02, 2013, 10:31:54 PM »
Norma,

One of our members posted the following document at the Buddy's thread:

http://detroitstylepizza.com/become-a-certified-detroit-style-pizza-maker/

I think you will find the hydration statement of interest.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for linking the document on how to become a ďCertified Detroit Style Pizza MakerĒ.  I find that document very interesting.  I also find the values for hydration interesting.  I guess I can pass the hydration test, but sure donít put the sauce on after the bake most of the time.  I guess I failed already. 

Shawn did send me a message on facebook and said I am doing a very good job of making my Detroit style pizzas though.

You might also find what happened today interesting.  The man that owns the stand beside me has a son that is in his 40ís and really likes the Detroit style of pizzas I make at market.  He purchased one slice to take with him today.  He said he wanted another pizza maker (that owns a pizzeria) to taste the Detroit style of pizzas I make.  He said maybe I could train the other pizza operator for money how to make the Detroit style of pizzas I make.  I guess you would want a cut of that money too, if the other pizza operator is interested in learning how to make them.   :angel:

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1721 on: April 02, 2013, 10:34:23 PM »
That's the best laugh I've had in a while. And only $3000; what a joke bargain... A quote by David Hannum but often credited to P. T. Barnum comes to mind.

Craig,

I also got a good laugh out of that.   ^^^ :-D  Little does anyone know, they can learn here for free.  ;D

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1722 on: April 02, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »
Norma,

You might want to start your own certification program and organization. You can call it AVPD, or Associazone Verace Pizza Detroita. Or maybe Vera Pizza Detroita Michigana. Those names will command big fees.

BTW, Buddy's apparently would not be able to be certified by Shawn because they use conveyor ovens, not the required deck ovens. I would imagine that Buddy's is very disappointed.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1723 on: April 02, 2013, 10:49:15 PM »
That's the best laugh I've had in a while. And only $3000; what a joke bargain... A quote by David Hannum but often credited to P. T. Barnum comes to mind.
It sometimes boggles my mind the amount of effort people will put into trying to come up with a gimmic. I would bet money that dude does not get one single sucker, er, taker.  ::)

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1724 on: April 02, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »
Norma,

You might want to start your own certification program and organization. You can call it AVPD, or Associazone Verace Pizza Detroita. Or maybe Vera Pizza Detroita Michigana. Those names will command big fees.

BTW, Buddy's apparently would not be able to be certified by Shawn because they use conveyor ovens, not the required deck ovens. I would imagine that Buddy's is very disappointed.

Peter

Peter,

Your ideas are very good on a way for me to start a certification program and organization.  I really like the names you choose!  ;D

I didnít think about Buddyís not being able to be certified by Shawn, because they use conveyor ovens.  I donít think Buddyís will have problems with that though.  :-D  You had mentioned before that Shawn was a real go-getter and you were right.   ^^^

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1725 on: April 03, 2013, 01:34:01 PM »
These are just a few more photos of some of the Detroit style pizzas made yesterday.  The first two photos of the cheese and pepperoni pizza there is a hole in the one end on the top side.  I donít know what caused the hole, but inside the hole the baked gluten strands could be seen. 

Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #1726 on: April 03, 2013, 02:47:16 PM »
Norma,

Those LOOK delicious, but I gotta ask:

Are those delicious looking pies certified authentic DS pies?? :-D :-D :-D

Keep making those cheesy dream pillows!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline hurkleburkle

« Reply #1727 on: April 03, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »
been following this thread for a while, this is my attempt at Detroit style pizzas.

Offline redox

« Reply #1728 on: April 03, 2013, 03:43:21 PM »
Norma,

Those pies look outstanding! One look at the pics and all I want to do is yell, "Get in my belly!"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1729 on: April 03, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »

John K
I'll bet the late great Bob Ross would have loved to try and do a painting of one of Norma's pie's.  :)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1730 on: April 03, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »
Norma,

Those LOOK delicious, but I gotta ask:

Are those delicious looking pies certified authentic DS pies?? :-D :-D :-D

John K

John,

Nope, those pies are not ďcertified authenticĒ, because of the ouch factor of trying to become certified.  3,000.00 dollars is a big ouch factor.   :o  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1731 on: April 03, 2013, 07:41:49 PM »
been following this thread for a while, this is my attempt at Detroit style pizzas.

hurkleburkle,

Your Detroit style pizza looks very delicious!  The question is how did you like it?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1732 on: April 03, 2013, 07:43:38 PM »
I'll bet the late great Bob Ross would have loved to try and do a painting of one of Norma's pie's.  :)

Bob,

That was kind of you to post!  8)

Norma

Offline hurkleburkle

« Reply #1733 on: April 03, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »
hurkleburkle,

Your Detroit style pizza looks very delicious!  The question is how did you like it?

Norma
It was awesome.  I ended up making a 2nd one this evening and eating it also.  So full I can hardly walk now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1734 on: April 03, 2013, 08:32:02 PM »
hurkleburkle,

I agree that your pizza looks delicious. Since there have been many versions of the Buddy's clone pizza on this forum, can you tell us the dough formulation you used and how you prepared and managed the dough?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1735 on: April 03, 2013, 08:43:26 PM »
It was awesome.  I ended up making a 2nd one this evening and eating it also.  So full I can hardly walk now.

hurkleburkle,

I am glad you thought your Detroit style pizza was awesome and ended up making a 2nd Detroit style pizza this evening and eating it too.  ;D  If you ate the whole Detroit style pizza I can understand how full you must be now. Your statement about being so full you can hardly walk now had me chuckling.

The crumb part is very light, but it still can be very filling.  I have some customers that just come for one slice each week and they say one slice fills them.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1736 on: April 03, 2013, 10:02:33 PM »
I made more dough for the Detroit style pizzas this week and had one skin in a large pan that wasnít tempered yesterday, or used, so I brought it home.  I was going to make another regular Detroit style pizza, but had enough of another kind of pizza yesterday.  I decided to try Craigsís Detroit style pizza with butter, sugar and cinnamon again this evening.  Craigís method really mades a good dessert Detroit style pizza.  The crumb just melted in my mouth and was so soft. 

I might try some of Craigís butter, cinnamon and sugar Detroit style pizzas at market this coming week to see if customers are interested in them.  I have a bigger steel pan I can use, but will have to see how much dough should be used in that pan.  I think just wrapping cut squares in plastic wrap when the pizza cools down would work okay.

Some of the photos were taken with the picture option and the photo was just taken regularly.  The steel pan was none the worse for wear of making Craigís Detroit pizza.

Lol, that picture mode sure shows up the dirt in my oven.  Time to clean the oven.   :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1737 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1738 on: April 03, 2013, 11:40:08 PM »
Everyone I've fed that pie to loves it!
Pizza is not bread.

Offline hurkleburkle

« Reply #1739 on: April 04, 2013, 01:46:42 AM »
hurkleburkle,

I agree that your pizza looks delicious. Since there have been many versions of the Buddy's clone pizza on this forum, can you tell us the dough formulation you used and how you prepared and managed the dough?

Peter

The dough is 100% medium protein bromated flour
75% water
3% olive oil
2% salt
.6% IDY

Mix just until fully mixed then ball it as much as possible, coat it in some oil and put it into a food bag.
 I then let it sit in the fridge over night before sheeting into the pan for 2 hours prior to cooking.