Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 108445 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1800 on: April 10, 2013, 06:37:51 AM »
These are just a few more pictures of the Detroit style pizzas made yesterday.  I mixed the dough a little bit differently on Monday and didnít take any photos of how I mixed, but the dough turned out sticker than the method I had been using the same formulation.  I started the mix on Monday with the dough hook and then changed to the flat beater. The dough when just using the dough hook looked like a batter and was splattering on the sides of the mixer bowl.  I donít know how that changed the dough to being sticker in the end, because I also did do the rest period before I mixed with the flat beater again. 

I tried a new topping Detroit style pizza yesterday.  The topping were the regular cheese, smoked pepper bacon that was baked in the oven, chives, grated Romano cheese, Parmesan cheese and sweet sliced Campari tomatoes.  The saltiness of the Romano and the smoked pepper bacon really blended well with the sweet Campari tomatoes.  No sauce was needed on this pizza.  I really liked the taste of that pizza. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1801 on: April 10, 2013, 06:39:52 AM »
Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1802 on: April 10, 2013, 07:48:29 AM »
Those look GREAT Norma!

John K

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1803 on: April 10, 2013, 09:12:06 AM »
Norma,
I mixed the dough a little bit differently on Monday and didnít take any photos of how I mixed, but the dough turned out sticker than the method I had been using the same formulation.  I started the mix on Monday with the dough hook and then changed to the flat beater. The dough when just using the dough hook looked like a batter and was splattering on the sides of the mixer bowl.  I donít know how that changed the dough to being sticker in the end, because I also did do the rest period before I mixed with the flat beater again.

I only have my home stand mixer experience to fall back on but I do not think that the sequence you used (dough hook and then the flat beater) is particularly effective in hydrating the dough, and perhaps was responsible for the stickiness you experienced (because of inadequate hydration of the flour). Are you aware of anyone professionally using the sequence you used (I think most use a single dough hook, such as a spiral dough hook)? Actually, in my experience, the best hydration that I have been able to achieve in a home setting with my stand mixer is to sift the flour and then use the whisk attachment, flat beater attachment and the C-hook in sequence. Obviously, that would not be a practical method in a commercial setting (too messy, too time consuming, and with a lot of cleanup, and you would need a large bowl residue compensation value).

I tried a new topping Detroit style pizza yesterday.  The topping were the regular cheese, smoked pepper bacon that was baked in the oven, chives, grated Romano cheese, Parmesan cheese and sweet sliced Campari tomatoes.  The saltiness of the Romano and the smoked pepper bacon really blended well with the sweet Campari tomatoes.
Out of curiosity, were the grated Romano and Parmesan cheeses commercial products or did you grate them from block cheeses? I love those cheeses and can see how they made for a good pizza, even without the sauce.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1804 on: April 10, 2013, 09:35:37 AM »
Those look GREAT Norma!

John K

John,

Thanks!

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1805 on: April 10, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
Norma,
I only have my home stand mixer experience to fall back on but I do not think that the sequence you used (dough hook and then the flat beater) is particularly effective in hydrating the dough, and perhaps was responsible for the stickiness you experienced (because of inadequate hydration of the flour). Are you aware of anyone professionally using the sequence you used (I think most use a single dough hook, such as a spiral dough hook)? Actually, in my experience, the best hydration that I have been able to achieve in a home setting with my stand mixer is to sift the flour and then use the whisk attachment, flat beater attachment and the C-hook in sequence. Obviously, that would not be a practical method in a commercial setting (too messy, too time consuming, and with a lot of cleanup, and you would need a large bowl residue compensation value).

Out of curiosity, were the grated Romano and Parmesan cheeses commercial products or did you grate them from block cheeses? I love those cheeses and can see how they made for a good pizza, even without the sauce.

Peter

Peter,

I didnít really want to start with the dough hook, but forgot after mixing my other batches of dough to switch to the dough hook.  That is why I used the dough hook first.  I noticed right away when I started mixing that the dough hook was on the mixer instead of the flat beater, but I wanted to see what would happen.  That is why I continued mixing.  Thank you for explaining why you donít think the dough hook is adequate to handle the hydration of the flour and that was why my dough was sticker than usual.  I needed a little flour to be able to form the dough balls, but it didn't seem to do anything to the oven spring, or the moistness of the crumb.  I am not aware of anyone professionally using the sequence I used.  I can understand your methods would be good, but in a commercial setting as you posted it would be too time consuming and too much clean up to use that method.  This dough does take longer than my regular doughs to prepare.   

I just used a container of the Bel Gioioso grated cheese that I had leftover from the Papa Ginoís pizza experiments.  I might purchase a better Romano cheese to grate though after tasting that pizza.  I also might purchase some Pecorino Romano cheese.  I do have a nice hand grater at market that I never used.  Maybe that hand grater will get some use now.

I also tried not oiling some of the dough balls this week.  That worked out okay, but think the dough balls that were oiled did press out better, at least in my opinion, but the not oiled dough balls didn't dry out at all. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1806 on: April 11, 2013, 07:20:39 PM »
Buddyís posted this on its facebook page today.

Get ready to tune in to catch Buddy's Pizza on Cooking Channel May 13th! We're appearing on the new show "Pizza Cuz" featuring the owners of New York's Artichoke Basille's Pizza. The theme? Neighborhoods. Buddy's will be representing Detroit Sicilian style square pizza of course.

http://ny.eater.com/archives/2013/04/artichoke_pizza_cooking_channel_pizza_cuz.php

I donít have the Cooking Channel at home. http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/home.html  I only have the Food Network.  I guess that is what the film crew was filming when I posted before. 

Hopefully another members watches the show and reports back.  I would have loved to be able to watch all of those pizza shows.   :(  :'(

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1807 on: April 11, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »

Hopefully another members watches the show and reports back.  I would have loved to be able to watch all of those pizza shows.   :(  :'(

Norma

Norma,

Fret not, I'm sure the episode eventually at least will end up on Youtube, but it also would not surprise me if Buddy's posts the video, or a link to it, on their Web site.  Also, the Cooking Channel might post in on their own site a day or so after it airs.

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1808 on: April 11, 2013, 10:16:44 PM »
Norma,

Fret not, I'm sure the episode eventually at least will end up on Youtube, but it also would not surprise me if Buddy's posts the video, or a link to it, on their Web site.  Also, the Cooking Channel might post in on their own site a day or so after it airs.

Gene

Gene,

Thanks for telling me that you would not be surprised if Buddyís posts the video, or the Cooking Channel might post it on their own site a day or so after it airs.

I would like to watch that whole series about pizza.  Since I don't watch a lot of TV, I don't think it would be worth it for me to got up to the next level with my cable service to be able include the Cooking Channel.  I might check though on how much extra money that would cost.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1809 on: April 12, 2013, 11:39:46 AM »
I called my cable company this morning and actually found out good news.  ;D  They are running a promotional campaign right now and if I add the new options to my cable, my bill will actually be lower than what I am paying a month now. The amount will be less than what I am paying for a year. I can cancel the services after the year if I want to.  I guess I will be able to watch the Cooking Channel soon.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1810 on: April 15, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »
Today on Brown Dog Pizzaís facebook page.  ďToday is a historical day for Pizza, as I made the first Detroit style pizza ever made in Italy - World Pizza ChampionshipsĒ

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brown-Dog-Pizza/82497826397 

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1811 on: April 15, 2013, 09:58:29 PM »
The pepper bacon pie is quite possibly the tastiest looking DS pie I've ever seen! I bet it was great.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1812 on: April 15, 2013, 10:27:56 PM »
The pepper bacon pie is quite possibly the tastiest looking DS pie I've ever seen! I bet it was great.

Craig,

Thanks for the nice compliment!  Coming for you I sure appreciate it.  I am going to try Pecorino Romano tomorrow on the same pizza.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1813 on: April 15, 2013, 10:34:50 PM »
Norma,

Can you tell us which of your Detroit style pizzas costs the most to make? And do you vary the price to customers accordingly?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1814 on: April 15, 2013, 10:57:54 PM »
Norma,

Can you tell us which of your Detroit style pizzas costs the most to make? And do you vary the price to customers accordingly?

Peter

Peter,

I still havenít calculated how much all the different toppings pizzas cost me to make, but if there is any meats in with the toppings then the price is higher.  I am still trying to decide what kind of toppings I want to add all the time for a menu.  Right now, it doesnít seem to matter what kind of Detroit style pizzas I have on hand.  My customers seem to like them all.  I am still trying out new toppings.  My customers right now just ask what kind I have on hand when they come to my stand.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1815 on: April 17, 2013, 09:23:47 AM »
These are just a few more pictures of some of the Detroit style pizzas I tried out yesterday with Pecorino Romano cheese as a topping after the bake.  The pizzas were a veggie pizza, a sausage pizza and the same pepper smoked bacon pizza as last week.  It doesnít take much of the shredded Pecornio Romano cheese to put this style of pizza.  I wasnít happy with how the sausage pizza looked, but will work on that. I drizzled some pesto on the veggie pizza after the bake.  I didnít have any of the tomatoes I used last week and just used Roma tomatoes this week.  I liked the brighter color of the tomatoes I used last week.

I also tried an experiment with a already tempered dough in the pan that was leftover last evening while I was cleaning up at the end of the night.  I didnít add any topping and the tempered dough was first baked in the pan and then I just took a tong and put some maragine over the top near the very end of the bake.  It surprised me that the dough didnít brown until it was fully baked.  The bottom crust was a little browned, but the whole baked dough was very soft and light in texture.  The dough reminded me of one of the lightest Focaccia doughs I have ever made.  The taste of whatever this might be called was very good too.  I could see it might be able to be used for some kind of sandwich that might be able to be grilled or not.  I want to play around with that method a little bit more.  I also would like to try some garlic cheese sticks this way, but am not sure how much toppings to add.  Maybe a focaccia with other added toppings might also be able to be made.  The baked dough from the above experiment is still very soft this morning. 

My steel pans seemed to baked the edge caramelized crusts darker yesterday.  I decided to season the steel pans again without any dough in them.  I didnít take any photos of the pizzas after I seasoned the steel pans again, but the rim crusts were then lighter.  I guess I will learn when the steel pans need to be seasoned again over time.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1816 on: April 17, 2013, 09:27:20 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1817 on: April 17, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »
In my one other thread I had thought my new camera was broken because the lens would not come out when it was turned on.  I later found out later the batteries had died.  Whew, what a relief that I don't have to purchase another camera.  The battery on my new camera seems to last a lot longer and I had thought I did recharged the battery, but guess I didn't recharge it for awhile.   :-D 

Norma

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1818 on: April 17, 2013, 10:11:20 AM »
Those Detroit style pizzas look really good Norma.  I am going to have to whip up a batch for myself! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1819 on: April 17, 2013, 11:15:43 AM »
Those Detroit style pizzas look really good Norma.  I am going to have to whip up a batch for myself! 

Regards,

TinRoof

TinRoof,

Thanks for your compliment!  This style of pizza really isn't that hard to make.  Good luck if you try to make a Buddy's clone pizza.

Norma

pizzapan