Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 108570 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1840 on: April 20, 2013, 06:38:02 AM »
Do you think I should post on that new thread about Detroit style pizzas?  I donít know if you saw, but I did post under the other thread about Re: Detroit style pizza help, and no members responded to that post at PMQ think tank. http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13656&hilit=Detroit+pizza&start=15#p84401  I guess members over there didnít think I knew what I was talking about.  :-D

Norma,

Given that no one even saluted your last post on the Detroit style pizza what would be your motivation or reason for posting again, and what would you say this time?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1841 on: April 20, 2013, 08:19:57 AM »
Norma,

Given that no one even saluted your last post on the Detroit style pizza what would be your motivation or reason for posting again, and what would you say this time?

Peter

Peter,

I really would not have any specific reason or motivation to post on PMQ think tank since no one must have paid any attention to my post before.  I do think though just as the Buddyís thread and this thread have been taken a fair amount of work, they should be shared with anyone that might want to make a Buddyís clone Detroit style pizza.  I donít mind sharing if it benefits another pizza business.  I guess the way I really feel is why not share information about pizza if another person can benefit.

I think I would say I do make Buddyís Detroit style pizzas at my small market stand and say the recipe or formulation was researched. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1842 on: April 20, 2013, 09:08:49 AM »
I really would not have any specific reason or motivation to post on PMQ think tank since no one must have paid any attention to my post before.  I do think though just as the Buddyís thread and this thread have been taken a fair amount of work, they should be shared with anyone that might want to make a Buddyís clone Detroit style pizza.  I donít mind sharing if it benefits another pizza business.  I guess the way I really feel is why not share information about pizza if another person can benefit.

I think I would say I do make Buddyís Detroit style pizzas at my small market stand and say the recipe or formulation was researched. 
Norma,

It is up to you, but should members of the PMQTT come to our forum in search of your recipes and possibly other assistance, are you prepared to help them (for free, of course) or will you simply refer them to this thread and the Buddy's thread and tell them to start reading (a total of 121 pages to date), just as we often do with non-professional individuals who come to the forum looking for clone recipes?

Peter
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:12:53 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1843 on: April 20, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
Norma,

It is up to you, but should members of the PMQTT come to our forum in search of your recipes and possibly other assistance, are you prepared to help them (for free, of course) or will you simply refer them to this thread and the Buddy's thread and tell them to start reading (a total of 121 pages to date), just as we often do with non-professional individuals who come to the forum looking for clone recipes?

Peter

Peter,

Like always, I am curious about what lengths someone would go though to learn about something they might want to know about pizza.  I would tell anyone that might be interested and might post a reply to scan through the Buddyís thread and this thread to see if they think any of the Detroit style pizzas is what want they might want to attempt. That is if  they would first post a reply to me.  I have been helped on PMQ think tank when I was first starting to learn about different pizzas.

I think I will just make a basic post and not say a lot and then maybe post two pictures if I can.  I donít look at PMQ think tank much anymore, unless a thread is referenced from here.  I learn a lot more here on the forum.

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1844 on: April 20, 2013, 03:41:02 PM »
If everyone was as nice as the folks on Pizzamaking.com, there would be no wars.

Gene

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1845 on: April 21, 2013, 02:10:46 AM »
Amen

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1846 on: April 21, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
The sign that my friend Dave made me for outside of market ripped (the paper sign part was made on butcher paper) this past Tuesday from the windy conditions outside.  I painted both sides of the sign white and did try to paint the sign somewhat like Dave made the sign in the first place, but since I am not an artist like Dave is I can not draw like he does.  The two-sided sign is one heavy bugger to move and carry around for me.  I used the bag wagon to push the sign into the back yard, but at market I have to lift the sign and carry it outside each week.

Norma

Offline Ev

« Reply #1847 on: April 21, 2013, 11:49:12 PM »
You did a good job painting your sign, Norma. I think you need to add your sauce spiral though. ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1848 on: April 21, 2013, 11:52:22 PM »
You did a good job painting your sign, Norma. I think you need to add your sauce spiral though. ;D

Steve,

Thanks!  I wonder what that sign would look like with the sauce applied in a spiral pattern.   :-D  I sure am not a sign painter, but it was cheap to just do the sign myself.  I just saw I forgot the one R in the last photo of the sign.  It will have to wait until next week to get that fixed.   :-[ 

Norma
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 11:55:10 PM by norma427 »

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1849 on: April 22, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »
Amen

Just received the pans.  Thanks!

If you're ever in NYC...  :^)

Gene

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1850 on: April 22, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »
I just saw I forgot the one R in the last photo of the sign. 

Norma,

Boadwalk.

That's how they pronounce "boardwalk" down here in the South, anyway! Just tell your customers you did it....... "on porpoise". :-D Sorry for the pun :-\

John K

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1851 on: April 22, 2013, 04:03:37 PM »
Just received the pans.  Thanks!

If you're ever in NYC...  :^)

Gene

Hope they work for ya Gene! Not sure about commercial use, but boy do they slide out easy, even without a spatula.

Also, I have taken to NOT par-baking the crusts due to shrinkage (because the dough really does not want to stick to the edges!) And Steve's suggestion to NOT use convection, and to use the middle/ lower rack really seems to have worked for me, with these pans.

Anyway, Good Luck! My wife thanks you for helping me to de-clutter my pizza cabinet! ;D

John K

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1852 on: April 22, 2013, 06:24:35 PM »
Norma,

Boadwalk.

That's how they pronounce "boardwalk" down here in the South, anyway! Just tell your customers you did it....... "on porpoise". :-D Sorry for the pun :-\

John K

John,

Lol about the "on porpoise"!  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1853 on: April 24, 2013, 06:47:24 AM »
I had been making larger batches of the Detroit style doughs the last three weeks.  I am not sure how much dough to make for this time of the year, when the temperatures swing so much and also since it rains some Tuesdays.  I did have one left over dough ball from last Tuesday and just let it sit in the deli case until this past Monday to see what it looked like.  I had a little extra dough leftover from scaling Monday, so I took the week old dough ball out of the deli case on Monday.  The dough ball was very wet and clammy and had slumped a lot.  It still looked like it had a some fermentation bubbles though, so I just balled the extra piece of dough with the week old dough ball.  The dough ball then became normal in feel.  I tried that dough ball out at the end of yesterday to see if when using a dough ball with a higher than normal weight and also a mixed dough ball would rise in the bake.  Vermont smoked pepperoni and peppered smoked bacon were added as the toppings.  I should have applied the Vermont smoked pepperoni in the middle of the bake, because it wanted to brown too much, but I was more interested if this dough would rise right in the bake.  It did rise normally in the bake, but I found it interesting that the rim crust didnít get those extra crispy caramelized edges, I guess that was from the higher height when the cheese melted along the sides of the steel pan.  The bottom crust did get browner and crisper though.  At least I found out that old dough can be added to freshly made dough and it still rises well in the bake.  The taste of the crumb really didnít improve any in flavor though.

I did season my steel pans the last two weeks after baking in them.  The one photo shows what my steel pans look like after the seasoning yesterday.  The pizzas are a lot easier to remove after the seasonings.  I donít know if I will have to season the steel pans every week now, or if they will be okay for awhile. 

I tried a veggie pizzas three different ways yesterday.  The first bake had no sauce, the second bake had pretty much sauce and the third baked had a little sauce.  I think I like the third bake better.  Customers seem to like the veggie Detroit style pizzas.  I had purchased a big bag of spinach for .75, a bunch of broccoli for .50 and 3 colors of peppers at market yesterday for .50 a piece.  It doesnít cost much to purchase veggies at market.  This was the first time I added the broccoli to the spinach on the dough first before the cheese and other toppings.  This style of pizza lends itself well to many toppings. 

I also tried out one other kind of topping pizza yesterday.  The sausage was applied raw.  The sausage did cook well in the bake, but I think I added too much sauce to that pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1854 on: April 24, 2013, 06:51:06 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1855 on: April 24, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »
This was the dough and pizza with the mixed dough balls.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1856 on: April 24, 2013, 07:02:36 AM »
Norma

Offline hurkleburkle

« Reply #1857 on: April 24, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »
Peter,

Norma
I started that thread on the pmq and I may not have said anything abbout your post I assure you I took notice and have read hundreds of forums posts by you and others who have worked on these tasty pies.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1858 on: April 25, 2013, 08:04:43 AM »
I started that thread on the pmq and I may not have said anything abbout your post I assure you I took notice and have read hundreds of forums posts by you and others who have worked on these tasty pies.

Steve,

I am glad the posts by everyone here on the forum about how to make a Detroit style pizza have helped you.  If you donít mind me asking, why didnít you post under your thread on PMQ think tank that you have been reading here on the forum how to make a Detroit style pizza?  I also would like to ask you where you are located and if you plan to offer Detroit style pizzas to the public.  There is no particular reason I would ask that, but am just curious.

There is man that comes to my small pizza stand every now and then and wants to purchase my pizza stand.  He was just there this past Tuesday and always says my pizzas look good, but never would taste any of them even if I gave him a free slice.  I also wondered why he didnít want to even try my pizzas if he says they look good.  He mentioned that the Detroit style pizzas looked good this past Tuesday and never heard of a Detroit style pizza.  I told him a little more about Detroit style pizzas and also told him at the Vegas Expo that Detroit style pizzas have won the championships the last two years in the pan division.  That statement about the championship must have peaked his interest.  I asked him if he wanted to try a slice, thinking he would say no again.  This time his friend and him shared a slice.  He did say the slice was very good.  I gave a couple hints on the dough was 75% hydration and I heard Steve saying Ixnay.  >:D :-D I wasnít going to tell him all about how to make a Detroit style pizzas, but wanted him to think about a high hydration dough.

I donít mind sharing what I try to do, just as many members do here, but sometimes people donít want to do the work of really reading though a thread to find out what was done by many members.

Hopefully you will post again if you plan on offering Detroit style pizzas to the public and how that goes.

Norma

Offline hurkleburkle

« Reply #1859 on: April 25, 2013, 12:59:17 PM »
I really did not have a reason for not referencing this site.  I am planning on selling these pizzas to the public, in fact tommorow I am going to be soft launching them with a small mailer and making sure I have everything under control.