Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 135204 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1880 on: May 02, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »
Just for fun.....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 04:46:12 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1881 on: May 02, 2013, 04:44:05 PM »
Just for fun.....

Bob,

Thanks for the photos!  They are cool.  8)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Skee

« Reply #1882 on: May 02, 2013, 05:09:21 PM »
Just for fun.....
Home Slice is pretty good - always crowded, but worth the wait for their huge, $3 slices, and it's within walking distance from my house.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1883 on: May 05, 2013, 11:41:37 PM »
Andy asked me about the pans I was using.

They are DEFINITELY not "DOP"/certified. But they sure are cheap. And they work great.

John K

John,

They sure do!  I just made my first pizza with the pans you sent me.  Cheese caramelized perfectly and they slid right out of the pan.

I did have one problem, though:  The sides are high and vertical and when I lifted the pizza out, a lot of cheese slopped over the opposite edge.  Did you have that problem?  Maybe I used too much cheese?

Also, can you give me your time and baking temp?  Did you cook in a home oven?  Where in the oven did you put it:  Top rack?  Middle?  Bottom?  Did you use a pizza stone?

But most of all:  Thanks for sending me the pans!  Now if Calphalon would only make an 8 x 10 and 10 x 14 size...

Gene

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1884 on: May 06, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »
John,

They sure do!  I just made my first pizza with the pans you sent me.  Cheese caramelized perfectly and they slid right out of the pan.

I did have one problem, though:  The sides are high and vertical and when I lifted the pizza out, a lot of cheese slopped over the opposite edge.  Did you have that problem?  Maybe I used too much cheese?

Also, can you give me your time and baking temp?  Did you cook in a home oven?  Where in the oven did you put it:  Top rack?  Middle?  Bottom?  Did you use a pizza stone?

But most of all:  Thanks for sending me the pans!  Now if Calphalon would only make an 8 x 10 and 10 x 14 size...

Gene

Gene,

It was my pleasure! And I am sure that they have rectangular pans, cuz I have one! Not sure of the exact dimensions but its rectangular. The smaller pans give the higher ratio of edge:pizza however! :drool:

Home oven. Originally used convection, but then as a result of Steve's (Ev's) suggestions, I reverted to non-convection, at 500 degrees. My oven is HORRIBLE. I don't think it has a bottom element ( ???) so I cook it uncovered for about 15 minutes. Then (Again, thanks Ev) I cover with foil to allow the crust to fry/brown without overcooking the top any more. For about 10 minutes more.

As to the cheese: A recent clinical study found that there is actually no such thing as too much cheese! So I kind of use a quick motion, and a very long/thin/flexible spatula to get under the pizza and keep it as horizontal as possible as I slide the pan off of the pizza, as opposed to sliding the pizza out of the pan, if that makes sense!

I have not given up on the "DOP" pans! But I'm too busy right now with other things to battle with re-seasoning, etc. The non-stick pans are a fun and easy cheat!

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1885 on: May 06, 2013, 11:55:54 AM »
I made a couple pies this Thursday evening with some leftover dough that Norma gave me on Tuesday. About 12 minutes at 500 with foil over top for the last 5.

Steve, does your heat come from the top or the bottom of the oven?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1886 on: May 06, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
Steve, does your heat come from the top or the bottom of the oven?

You might find this hard to believe, but I guess I'm not exactly sure. :-[  I mean, there's a top element for broiling, but I'm only assuming there's a hidden bottom element. I've never actually explored it that deeply. It's only a year or so old and has convection feature, if that tells you anything.

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1887 on: May 06, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »
Gene,

I have not given up on the "DOP" pans! But I'm too busy right now with other things to battle with re-seasoning, etc. The non-stick pans are a fun and easy cheat!

John

What would really help is to know how Shawn Randazzo seasons his pans.  I ordered one to see what it was like.  The advice I've been reading is to put on multiple thin coats, but the coating on his pans, done in three hours, is quite thick.  But the surface is smooth.  When I try to season with a thick coating, the surface is sticky/tacky.  So I'm guessing that it might be the oil he's using.

Anyone out there know what oil he uses, or care to make a guess?

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1888 on: May 06, 2013, 08:18:16 PM »

Gene,

I can ask Shawn Randazzo what he seasons his pans with, but don't know if he will answer me.  I have no idea what Shawn seasons his pans with. 

My pans have been seasoned many times and they aren't sticky at all.  I now season mine at the end of every night for the time being.  I don't use a lot of shortening each time I season my pans.  I just use a paper towel and gently go over them with shortening and they can be in the oven from anywhere between 5 minutes to being left in the oven until the next week. 

Norma

Offline redox

« Reply #1889 on: May 06, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
What would really help is to know how Shawn Randazzo seasons his pans.  I ordered one to see what it was like.  The advice I've been reading is to put on multiple thin coats, but the coating on his pans, done in three hours, is quite thick.  But the surface is smooth.  When I try to season with a thick coating, the surface is sticky/tacky.  So I'm guessing that it might be the oil he's using.

Anyone out there know what oil he uses, or care to make a guess?

Gene

I don't know what type oil Shawn is using but he puts on 3-4 thin coats and bakes for about an hour each time. Never put on a thick coat, it will never work.
I would guess a cheap oil like canola.
It you're doing it yourself use flaxseed oil, it's far tougher. Cook's Illustrated said that a flaxseed oil coating will even stand up to a trip through a commercial dishwasher.
I used this technique to season my cast iron pots and skillets.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:05:56 PM by redox »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1890 on: May 06, 2013, 10:20:15 PM »
The Pizza Cuz show on the Cooling Channel was good tonight, but it wasn't long enough.  Don't forgot next Monday is the show from Buddy's.

Norma

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1891 on: May 06, 2013, 10:31:04 PM »
Norma,

Thanks for the reminder! But are you saying now I have to subscribe to the cooling channel to see that show on Buddy's? I just signed up for the cooking channel, now I gotta buy a channel devoted to "all things HVAC???

Just kidding! I'll be looking forward to it.

John K

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1892 on: May 06, 2013, 10:52:30 PM »
Gene,

I can ask Shawn Randazzo what he seasons his pans with, but don't know if he will answer me.  I have no idea what Shawn seasons his pans with. 

My pans have been seasoned many times and they aren't sticky at all.  I now season mine at the end of every night for the time being.  I don't use a lot of shortening each time I season my pans.  I just use a paper towel and gently go over them with shortening and they can be in the oven from anywhere between 5 minutes to being left in the oven until the next week. 

Norma

Norma,

Mine aren't sticky, either - I used multiple thin coats - but the cheese still sticks a bit.

I emailed Shawn today to ask him what kind of oil he uses.  If I get an answer, I'll post it here.

Gene

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1893 on: May 06, 2013, 11:01:30 PM »
I don't know what type oil Shawn is using but he puts on 3-4 thin coats and bakes for about an hour each time. Never put on a thick coat, it will never work.
I would guess a cheap oil like canola.
It you're doing it yourself use flaxseed oil, it's far tougher. Cook's Illustrated said that a flaxseed oil coating will even stand up to a trip through a commercial dishwasher.
I used this technique to season my cast iron pots and skillets.
http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

That's the method I used, but it doesn't seem to work as well on cold steel.  In fact, I have a cast iron pan that I've had for 44 years(!).  (Am I that old?  Yikes!)  I think I seasoned it with vegetable oil.  Since then, just cooking with olive oil seems to keep it in shape.  But sometimes the coating scrapes off the steel pan and I've yet to get the kind of non-stick performance that I get with cast iron.

Gene

Offline redox

« Reply #1894 on: May 07, 2013, 01:20:28 AM »
Gene,
I had an issue with a pan I ordered from Shawn (which he took care of) and over the course of a few emails he said,

"Thank you for contacting me with your feedback. We do 3-4 thin coats and bake around an hour each time. I did notice a handful of pans several batches ago where looking like the third coat was spotty and I have seemed to pinpoint them as the ones doing this excessive flaking. When they were being made with the blue steel pans we never encountered the problem, but since they are now made with cold rolled steel we noticed even if cold air slightly catches pan right after coming out of the oven during the seasoning process it instantly just releases from the pans, so now we make sure the pans are put into a designated area we have built for them to stay warm to cool down and now they don't do that. "

Is it possible that you are having this problem with your seasoning process?
I'm sorry I never thought to ask him what oil he was using.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1895 on: May 07, 2013, 06:29:27 AM »
Norma,

Thanks for the reminder! But are you saying now I have to subscribe to the cooling channel to see that show on Buddy's? I just signed up for the cooking channel, now I gotta buy a channel devoted to "all things HVAC???

Just kidding! I'll be looking forward to it.

John K

John,

I thought the Pizza Cuz show would go into more detail, but it still was good.  I really wonder what the Pizza Cuz show at Buddy's will be like.   I don't think it will tell a lot, but will wait and see what they show.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1896 on: May 07, 2013, 06:32:19 AM »
Norma,

Mine aren't sticky, either - I used multiple thin coats - but the cheese still sticks a bit.

I emailed Shawn today to ask him what kind of oil he uses.  If I get an answer, I'll post it here.

Gene

Gene,

If you used multiple thin coats of seasoning your steel pans should soon be good.  I also had some spots with cheese sticking problems, but after more seasonings they are now good to go.  I have two kinds of steel pans (I think they are the blue steel and the cold rolled steel).  Both act the same now.  I also had some flaking issues like Jay did with a few of my pans from Shawn, but after more seasonings they don't flake anymore.

Maybe you could let your steel pans cool down in the oven.

Thanks for emailing Shawn.

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1897 on: May 07, 2013, 06:39:31 PM »
Gene,

If you used multiple thin coats of seasoning your steel pans should soon be good.  I also had some spots with cheese sticking problems, but after more seasonings they are now good to go.  I have two kinds of steel pans (I think they are the blue steel and the cold rolled steel).  Both act the same now.  I also had some flaking issues like Jay did with a few of my pans from Shawn, but after more seasonings they don't flake anymore.

Maybe you could let your steel pans cool down in the oven.

Thanks for emailing Shawn.

Norma

Norma,

How many coats did you put on before using them for the first time?  And then... what?  One new coat after baking?

How many coats, total, do you think you put on before the cheese stopped sticking completely?

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1898 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:50 PM »
Norma,

How many coats did you put on before using them for the first time?  And then... what?  One new coat after baking?

How many coats, total, do you think you put on before the cheese stopped sticking completely?

Gene

Gene,

I really have no idea of how many coats of seasonings I have given my steel pans, but it seems to me it was a lot.  My pans even after they weren't sticking started to stick some where the cheese caramelized, so that is when I started seasoning again.  I had been seasoning the last few weeks after baking, but this week the pans didn't seem to need seasoning.  To explain a little more I am now only making 8Ēx10Ē pizzas and do keep dough balls in plastic bags because I don't have enough of the small steel pans.  Today, I just wiped out the pans with paper towels then just wiped a thin coat of shortening on them and dropped the dough balls that were in the plastic bags into the steel pan.  They then went into the deli case with a hat on until I needed them.  None of those pizzas stuck to the steel pans. 

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1899 on: May 07, 2013, 11:22:30 PM »
Gene,

I really have no idea of how many coats of seasonings I have given my steel pans, but it seems to me it was a lot.  My pans even after they weren't sticking started to stick some where the cheese caramelized, so that is when I started seasoning again.  I had been seasoning the last few weeks after baking, but this week the pans didn't seem to need seasoning.  To explain a little more I am now only making 8Ēx10Ē pizzas and do keep dough balls in plastic bags because I don't have enough of the small steel pans.  Today, I just wiped out the pans with paper towels then just wiped a thin coat of shortening on them and dropped the dough balls that were in the plastic bags into the steel pan.  They then went into the deli case with a hat on until I needed them.  None of those pizzas stuck to the steel pans. 

Norma

Norma,

I might just go with "sticking" to John's non-stick Calphalon pan.  It worked perfectly.  He sent me an 8 x 8 and I'm going to try a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan.  On the other hand, I feel like a bit of a traitor being a native Detroiter and using non-traditional DS pizza pans, so maybe I'll give the steel pans another try.

Gene

pizzapan