Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 149647 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1900 on: May 08, 2013, 06:59:16 AM »
Norma,

I might just go with "sticking" to John's non-stick Calphalon pan.  It worked perfectly.  He sent me an 8 x 8 and I'm going to try a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan.  On the other hand, I feel like a bit of a traitor being a native Detroiter and using non-traditional DS pizza pans, so maybe I'll give the steel pans another try.

Gene

Gene,

You just have to work with the pans that work out for you.  The only part you won't be able to say if you make them commercially and make your Detroit style pizza in another kind of pan is that your Detroit style pizza weren't made in auto parts pans, but that is okay.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1901 on: May 09, 2013, 09:15:22 AM »
Gene,

You just have to work with the pans that work out for you.  The only part you won't be able to say if you make them commercially and make your Detroit style pizza in another kind of pan is that your Detroit style pizza weren't made in auto parts pans, but that is okay.

Norma

Norma,

I guess I'll have to change the definition of "Detroit Style Pizza" a  bit to not include the type and size of pan...  :^)

I got a response from Shawn about the oil they use to season their pans.  The answer surprised me:

A blend of Soy, Canola and Veg.

I don't know about others, but it never occurred to me to try combining different oils.  And that still leaves the question of proportion.  Equal amounts?

Gene

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1902 on: May 09, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
Norma,

I guess I'll have to change the definition of "Detroit Style Pizza" a  bit to not include the type and size of pan...  :^)

I got a response from Shawn about the oil they use to season their pans.  The answer surprised me:

I don't know about others, but it never occurred to me to try combining different oils.  And that still leaves the question of proportion.  Equal amounts?

Gene

Gene,

Thanks for posting the answer you got from Shawn on what he seasons his pans with.   I really wouldn't think it would matter if the oils are combined or not, but maybe another member might have an opinion on that.  It doesn't really surprised me that a combination of oils are used to season Shawn's steel pans.

You can just call your pizzas Detroit style whether you use the steel pans or not.  ;D Do you have a formulation you like best?

Norma

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #1903 on: May 09, 2013, 10:22:39 AM »
I really wouldn't think it would matter if the oils are combined or not, but maybe another member might have an opinion on that.

A blend of Soy, Canola and Veg.

Who knows what this even means? Soy oil and canola (rapeseed) oil are both vegetable oils. The vast vast majority (85%+) of vegetable oil is straight soy and much of what is not pure soy is a blend of soy and something else - often canola.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was an oil blend that provided better seasoning qualities than a single oil. It wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't either. If there is a superior blend, I kind of doubt it is soy, canola, and veg. Intuitively, I would expect it to contain flaxseed oil.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Skee

« Reply #1904 on: May 09, 2013, 10:39:07 AM »
From many years of seasoning pans in commercial kitchens and at home, the oil doesn't matter nearly as much as the oven temp and the coating technique.  What temp is your oven?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1905 on: May 09, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
Gene,

Craig is correct. The term "vegetable oil" can mean just about anything. However, if you go to your local supermarket, and especially one that carries many brands of oils, including well known names like Crisco and Wesson, but house brands as well, you will find that invariably the vegetable oil is soybean (soy) oil. The front label for that oil might say that it is 100% pure or all natural or other words to that effect but it is still just ordinary soybean oil. Once in a while, a lesser brand might say that it is a vegetable oil but contain no soybean oil. An example of such a brand is the 1-2-3 brand of vegetable oil. It comprises a blend of canola and sunflower oil. When blends of oils are intended, the front label of the blend will always say that it is a blend, and elsewhere on the container the oils that make up the blend will be identified, by order of predominance. Common blends include soybean and canola oils (or vice versa), or canola, sunflower and soybean oils.

If it matters to you, you might send a followup email to Shawn and ask him how his vegetable oil differs from his soy oil.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1906 on: May 13, 2013, 05:49:30 PM »
Buddy's pizza to be on 'Pizza Cuz' on Cooking Channel tonight.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130510/FEATURES02/305100086/pizza-food-Buddy-s-Pizza-Cuz

Norma

Offline redox

« Reply #1907 on: May 13, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »
Buddy's pizza to be on 'Pizza Cuz' on Cooking Channel tonight.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130510/FEATURES02/305100086/pizza-food-Buddy-s-Pizza-Cuz

Norma

I'm really glad you mentioned that, Norma. I had it set to record but my DVR crapped out last night and somehow lost all the series that I watch. I thought I'd re-programmed them all but I forgot Pizza Cuz. My cable company won't be here till Wed. with my new DVR (6 tuners!) W00H00!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1908 on: May 13, 2013, 07:22:21 PM »
I'm really glad you mentioned that, Norma. I had it set to record but my DVR crapped out last night and somehow lost all the series that I watch. I thought I'd re-programmed them all but I forgot Pizza Cuz. My cable company won't be here till Wed. with my new DVR (6 tuners!) W00H00!

Jay,

Sorry to hear that your DVR crapped out last night, but it is good to hear that you re-programmed to be able to watch Buddy's Pizza on the show tonight.  ;D Your new DVR you will be getting Wednesday sounds great!

My DVR doesn't record and only shows movies.  I am tired from the weekend and today from taking my daughter for a foot operation early this morning and getting stuff ready for the Anniversary week at Root's for tomorrow, but I am afraid if I try to take a short nap I might not wake up to see the Pizza Cuz show tonight.  Maybe I need toothpicks to keep my eyes open.    :-D

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1909 on: May 13, 2013, 09:08:09 PM »
Maybe I need toothpicks to keep my eyes open.    :-D

Norma
Try a 'lil pinch of snuff Norma.  :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1910 on: May 14, 2013, 06:02:40 AM »
Try a 'lil pinch of snuff Norma.  :-D

Lol Bob!  I did stay awake to watch Pizza Cuz.  The baking of Buddy's pizza at 600 degrees F for 14 minutes seems high to me.  I enjoyed that episode, but it was too short.

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1911 on: May 14, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »
The baking of Buddy's pizza at 600 degrees F for 14 minutes seems high to me.
Norma, is that what they showed in the episode?  Funny thing is that I have both DS and NY on the menu tonight and was planning on running the oven at 600F to see how the DS does with 300g of 70% dough.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1912 on: May 14, 2013, 09:22:41 PM »
Norma, is that what they showed in the episode?  Funny thing is that I have both DS and NY on the menu tonight and was planning on running the oven at 600F to see how the DS does with 300g of 70% dough.

Britt,

That's what I heard when I watched and listened to the episode at Buddy's, but then I couldn't re-watch the show because I didn't record it.  I bake at a lower temperature for about 14 minutes.  Maybe someone else can confirm if they heard the same thing I did.   I was at market until now, so sorry I couldn't reply sooner.  Hope your Detroit style turned out okay if you baked at the higher temperature.

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1913 on: May 15, 2013, 11:33:41 AM »
The DS at the higher temp turned out very nicely.  Heated the oven on convection at 550F and the lower stone hit 630F.  Didn't want to use convection and risk scorching the sides, so turned off the fan just as the pans went in.  Done in 12 minutes (300g, 70% hydration) and they turned out really crispy and very light inside.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1914 on: May 15, 2013, 01:35:09 PM »
The DS at the higher temp turned out very nicely.  Heated the oven on convection at 550F and the lower stone hit 630F.  Didn't want to use convection and risk scorching the sides, so turned off the fan just as the pans went in.  Done in 12 minutes (300g, 70% hydration) and they turned out really crispy and very light inside.

Britt,

Glad to hear a Detroit style pizza can be baked at a higher temperature.  Your Detroit style pizza look very good.  Your bottom crust looks nice and your crumb looks very light.  Great job!  :chef:

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1915 on: May 15, 2013, 01:54:29 PM »
Your Detroit style pizza look very good.  Your bottom crust looks nice and your crumb looks very light.  Great job!
Thanks Norma!  I rotate through three different DS - Jet's style (sauce to edges under the cheese), Buddy's style (sauce cooked on top of cheese), and Via 313 (warm sauce spooned on after baking).  Not sure which I like best, they're all good in different ways, but if I had to pick one it would be the Via 313 with the super-light crust and fresh tomato flavor (the sauce is just 6-n-1 with a little spice, not cooked).

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1916 on: May 15, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
Thanks Norma!  I rotate through three different DS - Jet's style (sauce to edges under the cheese), Buddy's style (sauce cooked on top of cheese), and Via 313 (warm sauce spooned on after baking).  Not sure which I like best, they're all good in different ways, but if I had to pick one it would be the Via 313 with the super-light crust and fresh tomato flavor (the sauce is just 6-n-1 with a little spice, not cooked).

Britt,

All of your DS pizzas sound good to me.  I also have made attempts on a Jet's pizza and did like them.  How is your Via 313 formulation different from the one you just tried?  Is it higher in hydration?

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1917 on: May 15, 2013, 04:52:03 PM »
All of your DS pizzas sound good to me.  I also have made attempts on a Jet's pizza and did like them.  How is your Via 313 formulation different from the one you just tried?  Is it higher in hydration?
Norma, they're all done with a 70% hydration dough and the same base sauce but I play around a little with the dough and cheese weight per pan depending on the style.  The one in the picture above is the "Via 313" formulation and since it is cooked with just the cheese, I use 300g of dough, and for the other two I now use 275g, to make the crust cook a little faster, and a little less cheese, to keep the oven times about the same for all of them.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1918 on: May 15, 2013, 06:49:19 PM »
Norma, they're all done with a 70% hydration dough and the same base sauce but I play around a little with the dough and cheese weight per pan depending on the style.  The one in the picture above is the "Via 313" formulation and since it is cooked with just the cheese, I use 300g of dough, and for the other two I now use 275g, to make the crust cook a little faster, and a little less cheese, to keep the oven times about the same for all of them.

Britt,

Thanks for your explanations!

Norma

Offline gschwim

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1919 on: May 16, 2013, 06:22:05 PM »
Gene,

Thanks for posting the answer you got from Shawn on what he seasons his pans with.   I really wouldn't think it would matter if the oils are combined or not, but maybe another member might have an opinion on that.  It doesn't really surprised me that a combination of oils are used to season Shawn's steel pans.

You can just call your pizzas Detroit style whether you use the steel pans or not.  ;D Do you have a formulation you like best?

Norma

Norma,

I've been using 500 g flour, 350 g water (in other words, 70% hydration), a 7g package of Oekker instant yeast and 1 tsp salt.  I let it rise till doubled (about 1 hour).  For a small pie, I use 275 g of finished dough.  Put it in the pan and let it sit for 10 min. before spreading it across the pan.

One thing I did discover:  I had been combing all the ingredients in the bowl of my Kitchenaid and kneading 5 min, with the dough hook.  But the last couple of times, I used the flat beater first, for about 1 min., just to combine the ingredients, and then switched to the dough hook to knead for 5 min.  Don't ask me why, but the dough was much easier to spread across the pan.

Gene