Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 133539 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1940 on: May 30, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »
I wonder how this blogger got to visit Buddy's Pizza and had a private pizza making lesson from the super-friendly staff.  http://brodericktower.com/blog/2013/05/29/dayinthed/ 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1941 on: May 30, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »
I wonder how this blogger got to visit Buddy's Pizza and had a private pizza making lesson from the super-friendly staff.  http://brodericktower.com/blog/2013/05/29/dayinthed/ 

Norma
From her site....

"Last week I was invited to participate in an interactive Day in the D tour hosted by the Metro Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau. Below is a summary of all of the Detroit-themed activities we participated in, including some of my favorite highlights from each."

It looks like she is located right in the middle of all the action; as she says. And is probably a favorite "voice for the City" person that knows Visitors Bureau/Chamber of Commerce folks.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1942 on: May 30, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »
From her site....

"Last week I was invited to participate in an interactive Day in the D tour hosted by the Metro Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau. Below is a summary of all of the Detroit-themed activities we participated in, including some of my favorite highlights from each."

It looks like she is located right in the middle of all the action; as she says. And is probably a favorite "voice for the City" person that knows Visitors Bureau/Chamber of Commerce folks.

Bob

Bob,

You are probably right that she knows the right people.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1943 on: June 02, 2013, 08:32:03 PM »
This is photo taken from KJ's Pizza's facebook page and it says ďWe are pressing dough this morning for our great "Detroit Style" crust! We make our dough fresh daily so you can have the best tasting pizza this side of the Rockies!!Ē

KJ's Pizza facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/KjPizza

If I don't remember to look, would someone please remind me to look for an article that is supposed to be in the HOUR http://www.hourdetroit.com/ magazine in July about Loui's Pizza with photos.  The article will be published in July, but I don't know if it will be able to be read then, or maybe sometime later.  This was also posted about on Loui's facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/louispizza?fref=ts 

Also on Loui Louie's Authentic Detroit Style Pizza's facebook page there is a interview for the courier-journal.com about Loui Loui's Pizza.  They used a house blend of cheeses for their Detroit style pizzas and there is no mozzarella in the blend.  Loui Loui's facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/LouiLouisAuthenticDetroitStylePizza?fref=ts 

Wow, the limoncello and limoncello cake sure sound good to me.  There are 3 pages about Loui Loui's Authentic Detroit Style Pizza at http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013305240040&nclick_check=1 

I can't find the direct link to the video that is on Loui Loui's facebook page, so if anyone is interested in watching the video they might need to look at their facebook page.  I thought the video was interesting. 

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1944 on: June 03, 2013, 10:38:54 AM »
Gloves, but no hairnet or apron? 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1945 on: June 03, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »
Gloves, but no hairnet or apron?

Britt,

We don't need gloves in our state to make pizza, but we do need something to cover our heads.  I am not even sure if we need aprons to make pizza, but I do wear one.  Flour can get very messy.   :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1946 on: June 03, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
This is another photo from KJ's Pizza facebook page posted today.  I tried to blow up the photo to see what kind of flour KJ's Pizza uses, but I am not sure on the brand of the flour.  There is a Dough  Making Chart behind the pie maker, but I can't make out what it says.

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1947 on: June 03, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
We don't need gloves in our state to make pizza, but we do need something to cover our heads.  I am not even sure if we need aprons to make pizza, but I do wear one.  Flour can get very messy.
Norma,

Yes, that's what I meant - you don't have to wear gloves (usually) for prep work but he ought to have a hairnet on and an apron just to keep himself clean if he's pretending to work for the pictures.  ;)

Britt

Offline VAscotty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1948 on: June 10, 2013, 08:29:55 PM »
Double post, sorry, second post was better.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 08:37:43 PM by VAscotty »

Offline VAscotty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1949 on: June 10, 2013, 08:36:35 PM »
My first try at Norma's dough recipe. The edges were great, the bottom crust not so much.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1950 on: June 10, 2013, 08:53:51 PM »
Scotty,

Which formulation did you use?  Sometimes a different rack position needs to be used so the bottom crusts gets baked right.  What temperature did you bake at and what rack position did you use?

Your pizza looks pretty good to me. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1951 on: June 10, 2013, 09:01:05 PM »
From VIA 313 on facebook today.  VIA 313 getting some street cred on the big screen. 

Texas Testimonials

Maybe I need to move to Texas and start making Detroit style pizzas.  Maybe my opportunity awaits.   :-D

Norma

Offline VAscotty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1952 on: June 10, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
Scotty,

Which formulation did you use?  Sometimes a different rack position needs to be used so the bottom crusts gets baked right.  What temperature did you bake at and what rack position did you use?

Your pizza looks pretty good to me. 

Norma

Thank you. I was pleased with the appearance of the pie, and maybe if I hadn't grown up in Detroit would've been more satisfied with the results, but my wife and salesgirl were pleased.

I used .8% IDY and 71.23% water. I used half KABF and half KAAP. I baked it in my home electric oven on a pizza stone, bottom rack, 550 for about 12 minutes. My pan from Detroit Style Pizza company hasn't arrived yet and I'm also waiting on a remote thermometer so I can know exactly what temp I'm cooking at.

I let the dough cold proof for about 28 hours, the dough was very tough to work with, but added some flour and that helped a ton.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1953 on: June 10, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
From VIA 313 on facebook today.  VIA 313 getting some street cred on the big screen.

Texas Testimonials

Maybe I need to move to Texas and start making Detroit style pizzas.  Maybe my opportunity awaits.   :-D

Norma
Why the heck not....you only get one stab at this crazy thing called life!  >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1954 on: June 10, 2013, 10:33:48 PM »
Thank you. I was pleased with the appearance of the pie, and maybe if I hadn't grown up in Detroit would've been more satisfied with the results, but my wife and salesgirl were pleased.

I used .8% IDY and 71.23% water. I used half KABF and half KAAP. I baked it in my home electric oven on a pizza stone, bottom rack, 550 for about 12 minutes. My pan from Detroit Style Pizza company hasn't arrived yet and I'm also waiting on a remote thermometer so I can know exactly what temp I'm cooking at.

I let the dough cold proof for about 28 hours, the dough was very tough to work with, but added some flour and that helped a ton.

Scotty,

I think you will be able to make a Detroit Style pizza after another attempt, or a few attempts.  I could not get my Detroit style pizzas right at first either.  I am glad your wife and salesgirl were pleased with your Detroit style pizza.  I think a steel pan from the Detroit Style Pizza Company will get you closer to your goal.  What did the bottom of your crust look like that you weren't happy with it.  I just wondered since you are baking at a higher temperature on a pizza stone on the bottom rack. 

I have dabbed my dough in flour to sometimes to get it to ball better.  I try to dip in flour and then ball and I can usually tell if it needs a little more flour when balling.  Did you ball and then put the dough ball in the pan?  How did you mix the dough and what did use to mix the dough. 

Sorry to be asking all these questions, but that is the only way I can really know what you did.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1955 on: June 10, 2013, 10:35:43 PM »
Why the heck not....you only get one stab at this crazy thing called life!  >:D

Bob,

Lol, I might be kind of crazy, but I don't think this late in life that I just would leave and start over in a strange place.   :-D  At least I know my way around where I live.

Norma

Offline VAscotty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1956 on: June 11, 2013, 05:50:22 AM »
Scotty,

I think you will be able to make a Detroit Style pizza after another attempt, or a few attempts.  I could not get my Detroit style pizzas right at first either.  I am glad your wife and salesgirl were pleased with your Detroit style pizza.  I think a steel pan from the Detroit Style Pizza Company will get you closer to your goal.  What did the bottom of your crust look like that you weren't happy with it.  I just wondered since you are baking at a higher temperature on a pizza stone on the bottom rack. 

I have dabbed my dough in flour to sometimes to get it to ball better.  I try to dip in flour and then ball and I can usually tell if it needs a little more flour when balling.  Did you ball and then put the dough ball in the pan?  How did you mix the dough and what did use to mix the dough. 

Sorry to be asking all these questions, but that is the only way I can really know what you did.

Norma

I tried balling it immediately, however it was way too sticky, so I just kinda threw it in a bowl, covered it, and let it set. I mixed the dough with a standard kitchen aide mixer, started slow for a minute and then upped the speed for about 5.

The more I think about it, I may have had too much cheese on it. How much do you typically use?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1957 on: June 11, 2013, 07:01:25 AM »
I tried balling it immediately, however it was way too sticky, so I just kinda threw it in a bowl, covered it, and let it set. I mixed the dough with a standard kitchen aide mixer, started slow for a minute and then upped the speed for about 5.

The more I think about it, I may have had too much cheese on it. How much do you typically use?

Scotty,

I don't know if you want to try what I do to make the dough less sticky, but I use the flat beater only at home and at market, first mix on a slower speed, then turn to a higher speed, then rest the dough so the flour gets hydrated more with the water (10 minutes), then mix again starting on a lower speed and then change to a higher speed again so the dough starts to slap some against the side of the mixer bowl.  I don't have the time this morning to find where I showed that on this thread, but if you want me to find that, or those links I can tomorrow if that is something you want to try to get less sticky dough. 

I only use 6 ounces of cheese at market, but that is only because I am trying to keep costs down when making a Detroit style pizza at market.  My cheese price a lb. has gone up again, and since I purchase the cheese I use in about 45 lb. blocks each amount of cheese increase in price makes the costs of my Detroit style and regular pizzas go higher.  I go though a 45 lb. block in about 2 weeks, but then I also use the same cheese for another style of pizza I make.  I have tried 8 ounces like Buddy's uses and I do like 8 ounces of grated cheese for a Detroit style pizza. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1958 on: June 12, 2013, 08:32:11 AM »
This was just another different topping Detroit style made yesterday.  The toppings were the cheese, sauce, and baby Arugula with grated aged Argentina hard Parmesan cheese added after the bake and then drizzled with some pesto.

I thought this DS pizza with those dressings tasted good.

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1959 on: June 12, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
I thought this DS pizza with those dressings tasted good.
Norma, that looks really tasty!  How did the arugula fare when you cut it or did you sell it as a whole pie?

pizzapan