Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 133700 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1960 on: June 12, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »
Norma, that looks really tasty!  How did the arugula fare when you cut it or did you sell it as a whole pie?

Britt,

The arugula fared well when the pie was cut.  I use a pizza rocker knife when cutting my pizzas.  The pizza rocker knife keeps hot cheese, or cheeses and also other toppings from running into each other.

My pizza rocker knife looks something like this.   
http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/mundial/5659-20/p1454531.aspx?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Mundial-5659-20&utm_campaign=Pizza-Knives&source=googleps&gclid=CJaE5ZOB37cCFUmY4Aod7CwA3g 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1961 on: June 12, 2013, 01:55:02 PM »
I would like Buddy's to see what Detroit Style Pizza Company just sent me in an email.  This is what the email said. 

Detroit Style Pizza Newsletter
 Vol. 1, Issue 6

HOME    |      BLOG    |      DIRECTORY      |      PIZZA/PANS      |      TRAINING     |      CONTACT

What Makes Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Makers Unique?

There's no question that Detroit Style Pizza is the fastest-growing trend in the pizza industry, but you might wonder what makes Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Makers unique. Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Makers are encouraged to get creative with their pizzas, but they also adhere to specific standards that yield truly authentic Detroit Style Pizza. These standards cover everything from the use of square seasoned steel pans and deck oven baking to proper dough preparation and the right time to ladle on the sauce.

The Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Maker standards aren't in place to limit creativity, but to maintain style quality and consistency between pizzerias that serve authentic Detroit Style Pizza. Customers expect the real deal; and, after all, a little limitation paves the way to a lot of creativity!

Learn more about what makes Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Makers unique

How Detroit Style Pizza Differs from New York and Chicago Styles

Ever wonder what sets the Big 3 pizzas apart? For starters:

New York Style Pizza is famous for its thin crust, which is hand-tossed and stretched, spread with tomato sauce, and topped with cheese and other toppings. Normally baked in a deck oven, the resulting crust is typically soft and foldable rather than crispy.

Chicago Style Pizza is a deep dish pizza. Its thick dough is pressed into a round pan as a pie, so that the crust sticks up around the edges. Sauce, cheese, and toppings are then placed into the bowl-like crust. Itís a thick, hearty pizza.

Detroit Style Pizza is made from a deep dish crust pressed into well-seasoned square steel pans and baked in deck ovens. A layer of pepperoni is applied directly on the crust, brick and mozzarella cheeses are spread edge-to-edge, and additional toppings are sprinkled on top. The cheese caramelizes to the crust edges during baking, and red sauce is ladled on top before or after baking. Detroit Style Pizza features a crust that is light and airy on the inside, crispy on the outside.

Learn more

Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Maker of the Month: KJ's Pizza, Grass Valley, CA

Congratulations to KJ's Pizza, our Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Maker of the Month! Owned and operated by Paul and Kathy Jechura in Grass Valley, Calif., KJ's Pizza recently earned Authentic Detroit Style Pizza Maker designation. Both Detroit natives, the Jechuras grew up eating Detroit Style Pizza and wanted to bring the style to their California-based restaurant, which they recently converted from a Quiznoís franchise. World Champion Pizza Maker Shawn Randazzo trained the Jechuras over a five-day period in early February 2013.

Read More...

The video again from Shawn Randazzo. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=rm3ULLorwkQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=rm3ULLorwkQ</a>
!

I would like someone to tell Buddy's Pizza that they need to bake in a deck oven to make an authentic Detroit style pizza.   :-D

Norma

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #1962 on: June 12, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »
Hey Norma, thanks for the post of the Detroit Style Pizza Newsletter. I wonder if you have a URL to subscribe to their newsletter? 

Thanks.

TinRoof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1963 on: June 12, 2013, 03:29:22 PM »
Hey Norma, thanks for the post of the Detroit Style Pizza Newsletter. I wonder if you have a URL to subscribe to their newsletter? 

Thanks.

TinRoof

TinRoof,

This is the address it said in my email.  Detroit Style Pizza info@detroitstylepizza.com   I really don't recall, but think I must have subscribed to the newsletter.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1964 on: June 12, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »
These photos are of how much the dough balls fermented in 3 pans until early Tuesday morning, the first two Detroit style pizzas made yesterday and a cicada killer wasp.  I did add less yeast to my dough batch on Monday, because of how much the dough balls fermented last week. I think I might have to go lower in the yeast amount, but the dough balls did work out okay throughout the whole day.  I used 4 slices of sandwich pepperoni on the 4-square cheese-pepperoni Detroit style pizzas yesterday and customers seemed to like those large slices of pepperoni. 

I am only posting about the cicada killer wasp because I wasn't aware of what became of that cicada killer wasp.  Last summer that bugger was flying around inside market and buzzing and dive bombing and I sure couldn't tell what that insect was.  I didn't know until yesterday that the one man that has a stand in my area caught that cicada killer wasp and then preserved it.  That man has a mystery box each week and I always wonder what is inside of that box and ask questions.  I found how the cicada killer wasp first kills cicadas and then lays their eggs inside of the cicada interesting.  The man told me the cicada killer wasp drags the cicada into a tunnel in the ground.  That man that has the educational stand is very interesting to talk to and I look forward to finding out more information from him each week.  He was a biology teacher at one time and collects all kinds of insects and other stuff.  That was the first time I saw up close what a cicada wasp looked like.  Steve told me yesterday that at one point in time a cicada killer wasp did land on his leg.  I said I would have had fits.  :-D

Norma
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:37:59 PM by norma427 »

Offline Skee

« Reply #1965 on: June 12, 2013, 04:28:41 PM »
Norma,

That huge pepperoni looks tasty!

Cicada wasps are interesting for sure.  Anything that lays eggs in another creature fascinates me.

Britt

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1966 on: June 12, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »
Buzz  buzzzzz Norma...watch out!   :o

I love that sort of stuff your Market biology associate is into.
I have an Uncle(an entomologist)who was Director of foreign laboratory installations first for the FDA and then later on for the Smithsonian Institute. As a child I collected the post cards I received from him from all around the World(labs that he was setting up). At the age of 13 I had my first jet airplane ride with my Grandma to Washington D.C. to visit Uncle Sonny(Dr. bug us kids called him : ;D). At his lab there he put a tsetse fly under an electron microscope an said "look at this Bobbie"...he had it focused on the eye of the fly...Norma; I physically jumped back away from the scope lenses...that view scared the crap out of me!!!   :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #1967 on: June 12, 2013, 07:27:55 PM »
Norma,

Cicada wasps are interesting for sure.  Anything that lays eggs in another creature fascinates me.

Britt

I've got a cousin that had her son via surrogate mother. Does that count, egglayin'-wise?  :angel:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1968 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »
I've got a cousin that had her son via surrogate mother. Does that count, egglayin'-wise?  :angel:
Sure it does...extra points if your cousin is a W.A.S.P.   ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1969 on: June 12, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »
Norma,

Britt

Britt,

The large sandwich pepperoni is very tasty.  I have to look again when I am at the one supermarket, but I think that large sandwich pepperoni is produced by the same company that produces Buddy's smaller pepperoni. 

I agree that anything that lays eggs in another creature is fascinating.  I found about the same thing with hornworms.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1970 on: June 12, 2013, 10:57:55 PM »
Buzz  buzzzzz Norma...watch out!   :o

I love that sort of stuff your Market biology associate is into.
I have an Uncle(an entomologist)who was Director of foreign laboratory installations first for the FDA and then later on for the Smithsonian Institute. As a child I collected the post cards I received from him from all around the World(labs that he was setting up). At the age of 13 I had my first jet airplane ride with my Grandma to Washington D.C. to visit Uncle Sonny(Dr. bug us kids called him : ;D). At his lab there he put a tsetse fly under an electron microscope an said "look at this Bobbie"...he had it focused on the eye of the fly...Norma; I physically jumped back away from the scope lenses...that view scared the crap out of me!!!   :-D

Bob,

Yep that darn cicada wasp sure was neat last summer and I could not really get a look at it until this past Tuesday, but there is no way I want one of them near me when they are alive.  The way folks are saying this summer about the 17 year old cicadas coming out so bad we might need more of those cicada wasps.   

The market biology associate is very interesting and knows a lot about everything.  He looks like he is Amish, but isn't.  He always hollers out at night when he is leaving, ďHappy market day to all, and to all a good nightĒ.  He has a deep booming voice and I enjoy his weekly good-night.

I enjoyed your stories about your Uncle that is an entomologist.  The tsetse fly under the electron microscope made me laugh and what you did.   :-D

I have visited the Smithsonian Institutes many times and even held a very large hissing cockroach one time. 

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1971 on: June 13, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
I have visited the Smithsonian Institutes many times and even held a very large hissing cockroach one time. 
Norma,  that's one good reason NOT to move to Texas to make DS pizza - we don't have anything nearly as fantastic as the Smithsonians down here.  There are some good museums and historical places, but they're the kind of thing you do once and you're done with it, and nothing's close to anything else, so you can spend most of a day just driving to and from.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1972 on: June 13, 2013, 01:48:23 PM »
Norma,  that's one good reason NOT to move to Texas to make DS pizza - we don't have anything nearly as fantastic as the Smithsonians down here.  There are some good museums and historical places, but they're the kind of thing you do once and you're done with it, and nothing's close to anything else, so you can spend most of a day just driving to and from.

Britt,

Thanks for telling me the one good reason not to move to Texas to make DS pizza.  I haven't ever really visited Texas, so I don't know what is there.  I have only been in the Dallas/FortWorth airport waiting for another flight to somewhere else one time.

Norma

Offline VAscotty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1973 on: June 16, 2013, 03:27:29 PM »
I tried again, mixed it more, let it rest, was still really sticky coming out of the bowl. After a day in the fridge, it was easier to work with, but the middle didn't quite cook up like it should. I'm gonna put it in the oven higher up next time, but I've got to figure out how to make the dough easier to work with for balling. If I were to make a few balls at once, I'd have a heck of a time.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1974 on: June 16, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
I tried again, mixed it more, let it rest, was still really sticky coming out of the bowl. After a day in the fridge, it was easier to work with, but the middle didn't quite cook up like it should. I'm gonna put it in the oven higher up next time, but I've got to figure out how to make the dough easier to work with for balling. If I were to make a few balls at once, I'd have a heck of a time.

Scotty,

You can see at Reply 37 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg220077.html#msg220077  how I mixed and I also said my dough felt sticker.  Peter posted at Reply 52 that I might want to try the double kneading method.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg220309.html#msg220309  At Reply 55 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21559.msg220357.html#msg220357  you can see how I mixed if you are interested.

If you want to see where Peter posting about the ďdouble kneadĒ method at Buddy's it is posted at Reply 5 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3805.msg31842.html#msg31842

I use a ďdouble kneadĒ method now with 75% hydration, with a rest period, then knead again before dividing, scaling, balling and oiling the dough balls.  I do all of my mixing with a flat beater and the dough is intensely mixed both times.  Most doughs do not like to be mixed so intensely, but this one it doesn't seem to matter if you watch that the dough doesn't turn into a batter again.  My one dough on this thread that was higher in hydration did turn into a batter.  If you are interested and need more links to where I mixed doughs on this thread I will try to provide those links.

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1975 on: June 17, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »
but I've got to figure out how to make the dough easier to work with for balling. If I were to make a few balls at once, I'd have a heck of a time.
I don't ball my dough - 48 hours cold in bulk, then weighed and stretched into a rough square, then placed in the pan for proofing.

Offline VAscotty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1976 on: June 18, 2013, 06:04:15 PM »
Tried  double kneading, didn't help much. Made it again tonight, still not cooking properly in the middle. This time I baked at 475 for 15 minutes, the edges were perfect, inside didn't rise at all like it should.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1977 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:39 PM »
Tried  double kneading, didn't help much. Made it again tonight, still not cooking properly in the middle. This time I baked at 475 for 15 minutes, the edges were perfect, inside didn't rise at all like it should.

Scotty,

Since you posted double kneading didn't help, how long are you letting your dough temper before baking and are you tempering at room temperature or in a oven with the light on?  How much does your dough rise while in the steel pan when tempering the dough before the bake? Does the crust fall in the middle during the bake?

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1978 on: June 19, 2013, 11:12:52 AM »
This time I baked at 475 for 15 minutes, the edges were perfect, inside didn't rise at all like it should.
Hard to tell from the picture, it might be that the sauce slid down the crust a little when you cut it, but it looks like you put a LOT of sauce in the middle of the pizza which will definitely cause a high-hydration crust to collapse. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1979 on: June 19, 2013, 12:08:15 PM »
Last Detroit style pizza of the day.  This dough was really tempered a lot longer than it should have been and was higher in the pan than usual, but it still baked okay.

Norma

pizzapan