Author Topic: Two Bill’s pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 149208 times)

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
Re: Two Bill’s pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #1980 on: June 19, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Last Detroit style pizza of the day.  This dough was really tempered a lot longer than it should have been and was higher in the pan than usual, but it still baked okay.

Norma

Norma,

I will never tire of looking at pics of your DS pies. You have mastered the technique. Even your "over-tempered" pies look stellar!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline VAscotty

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1981 on: June 19, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »
Hard to tell from the picture, it might be that the sauce slid down the crust a little when you cut it, but it looks like you put a LOT of sauce in the middle of the pizza which will definitely cause a high-hydration crust to collapse.

I used this sauce...

http://www.gourmetitalian.com/saporito-pizza-sauce-p/1448.htm?gclid=CPKo_u_L8LcCFYuZ4Aod0BIAJw

And it was like a paste... Not sure if I was supposed to mix it with water or what, but it was too thick to work with and I ended up putting more on there than I would've liked. It was a disaster all around.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #1982 on: June 19, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Norma,

I will never tire of looking at pics of your DS pies. You have mastered the technique. Even your "over-tempered" pies look stellar!

John K

Thanks John!  I could not have been able to do what I do now with a Detroit style pizza if it wasn't for the other members here on the forum.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline redox

« Reply #1983 on: June 19, 2013, 08:58:39 PM »
Congrats, Norma!
100 pages on your thread. I think this means that your show can now be syndicated.  :-D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1984 on: June 19, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »
Congrats, Norma!
100 pages on your thread. I think this means that your show can now be syndicated.  :-D

Jay,

I didn't even notice that this thread has 100 pages already.  Your comment made me laugh.   :-D

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #1985 on: June 19, 2013, 11:02:54 PM »
Congrats, Norma!

Awesome. The "What are you drinking" thread just turned 100 too. Good to know where our priorities are!  ;D
Pizza is not bread.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1986 on: June 19, 2013, 11:52:26 PM »
Awesome. The "What are you drinking" thread just turned 100 too. Good to know where our priorities are!  ;D

Craig,

Congrats on the "What are you drinking" thread too.  ;D  I guess 100 can be a good number sometimes. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1987 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:48 AM »
New pizzas offered at Buddy's, posted on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/buddys-pizza/detroits-original-sicilian-style-square-pizza-now-offers-a-thin-version-of-its-m/587493737951098

Sixty-seven years after Buddy’s Pizza originated the Sicilian-style square on the corner of Conant and Six Mile, the family-owned restaurants are serving up something new - in skinnier boxes. Nearly seven decades since the Motor City favorite got its start, Buddy’s Pizza has added a brand new options to its menu that are sure to have tastebuds talking.
From gluten-free and multigrain crusts to vegan and antioxidant options, offering a variety of choices without sacrificing the famed Buddy’s flavor is nothing new to this Detroit institution. That’s never been more apparent than it is this month, as Buddy’s Pizza introduces Buddy’s Detroit’s Original Square Sicilian Style Thin Crust Pizza.
“This year, Buddy’s is excited to announce our new Sicilian Style Thin Crust Pizzas,” said Robert Jacobs, Buddy’s Pizza president. “Handcrafted from our famous original dough, Motor City Cheese Blend and tomato basil sauce, we’ve developed four new pizzas – each with a thin, light, crunchy crust and bold new flavors.”
The new Buddy’s Detroit’s Original Square Sicilian Style Thin Crust Pizza will be available beginning June 24, 2013. The collection includes the following brand new pizzas:

New Yorker – Pepperoni, roasted garlic, tomato basil sauce, oregano and grated Parmesan cheese.
Mediterranean – Red onions, spinach, beets, tomato basil sauce, fresh dill and feta cheese.
Pomodoro – Grilled scallions, roasted tomatoes, roasted garlic, tomato basil sauce, Asiago and grated Parmesan cheeses.
Ultimate Italian – Italian sausage, red onions, roasted red peppers, roasted garlic, tomato basil sauce, Sicilian spice blend and grated Parmesan cheese.
Like Buddy’s traditional pizzas, the process for creating these new thin crust pizzas consists of hand-stretching and proofing the dough; adding a sprinkle of the Motor City Cheese Blend - a tasty combination of Fontinella, Parmesan and Wisconsin brick cheeses; spreading select toppings; then topping it off with Buddy’s tomato basil sauce in true Sicilian style.

As all of Buddy’s original pizzas, the new thin crust collection will be available at the restaurant’s nine metro Detroit locations in Auburn Hills, Bloomfield Hills, Dearborn, Detroit, Farmington Hills, Grosse Pointe, Livonia, Royal Oak and Warren.
“Buddy’s has been a Detroit tradition for over 67 years. The magic is in the pie,” said Wesley Pikula, Buddy’s Pizza vice president of operations. “We’re excited to create these new pizzas, and offer our patrons another great way to experience Buddy’s original homestyle taste.”
 On Monday, June 24, each restaurant will celebrate Buddy’s Pizza Day and Buddy’s 67 years of business in Detroit, by offering customers appreciation cards. Once a month through the end of the 2013, cardholders can purchase an 8-square cheese pizza for $6.70 and add extra toppings for 67 cents each. Appreciation cards will be available through June 29, or while supplies last at each location.

About Buddy’s Pizza
Sixty-seven years since the introduction of the first square pizza, Buddy’s Pizza thrives in metro Detroit with 9 locations that serve the loyal clientele who have consistently made the brand a favorite nationwide. Buddy’s has been recognized as one of the Nation’s Five Best Pizza Places by the Food Network; one of the top 10 great pizza places in the country by Parade magazine; dubbed the Hottest Independent Pizzeria in the Nation by Pizza Today; One of the best 25 Pizzas in America by GQ and One of the 25 best pizza spots in the US byFood & Wine Magazine.

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1988 on: June 24, 2013, 12:43:49 PM »
Interesting article, Norma - did you catch this part: "adding a sprinkle of the Motor City Cheese Blend - a tasty combination of Fontinella, Parmesan and Wisconsin brick cheeses".

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1989 on: June 24, 2013, 06:14:04 PM »
Interesting article, Norma - did you catch this part: "adding a sprinkle of the Motor City Cheese Blend - a tasty combination of Fontinella, Parmesan and Wisconsin brick cheeses".

Britt,

I did catch that part about the “Motor City” cheese blend.  I don't know, but Buddy's might have changed the Motor City Cheese Blend from when they introduced the Motor City Pizza Collection.  http://www.buddyspizza.com/downloads/MotorCityPizzaCollection.pdf 

On the link I posted above it says the Motor City cheese blend features, Brick, Asiago, Fontinella & Parmesan.  On Buddy's menu it says the Motor City cheese blend is Brick, Fontinella, and Parmesan Cheese. http://www.buddyspizza.com/documents/Carryout105.pdf  It also says on this next link that the “Motor City Blend” is Wisconsin brick cheese (featuring fontinella, asiago and brick cheeses).  I don't know if that is a typo, or if Buddy's really uses more than one brick cheese.  http://farmington-mi.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/farmington-hills-based-buddy-s-pizza-offers-new-healthy-choices  Maybe just the order of cheeses is different.

Maybe it would be interesting to try one of those blends. 

Norma
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:17:38 PM by norma427 »

Offline Camaro10

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1990 on: June 25, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
Norma what formula and dough making method did you find to be the best?

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1991 on: June 25, 2013, 10:59:23 PM »
Norma what formula and dough making method did you find to be the best?

Gin,

I started out with a hydration of a little over 71%, but have since moved to 75%.  I use 1.75% Kosher salt and use the Occident flour.

I have been using my flat beater on my Kitchen Aid mixer and my Hobart Mixer and mix two times with a rest period in between.  My dough is still sticky when I take it out of the mixer, but it isn't really sticky, but can stick some to my fingers.  I then sprinkle a little flour on the batch of dough at market, then cut, scale and ball.   When balling if the dough is still a little sticky I have a little pile of flour sitting there that I just sit the dough ball on and then try to ball again.  If for some reason it is still too sticky I repeat just what I did with sitting the dough ball on the flour again and ball.  The dough balls then get oiled and go into the steel pans.  I did use .80% IDY, but since have moved the IDY back, since the weather is warmer in our area.  The dough balls still ferment well to the next day.  The steel pans are covered with processing caps and stacked in my deli case until the next day.  When they are needed, then the dough is pressed out in the steel pan cold.  It is easy to pushed out the cold dough in the steel pan.  The steel pans then at put into my one warming cabinet, but at home I used the oven light in the oven to temper the dough in the steel pans.  When the dough has tempered enough then I dressed the Detroit style pizza with cheese and then sauce.  That is for a regular Detroit style cheese pizza.  I weigh the dough and it is 9.5 ounces for a 8”x10” steel pan.  I bake at higher temperatures at market than what I do at home.   If you want to know anything else let me know.

Norma

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #1992 on: July 01, 2013, 01:56:05 AM »
I had a go at making a Buddy's pizza tonight.  Used the dough formula:

Flour (100%):    277.88 g  |  9.8 oz | 0.61 lbs  <------50/50 Blend KABF and KAAP flour
Water (75%):    208.41 g  |  7.35 oz | 0.46 lbs
IDY (.7%):    1.95 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.65 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):    4.86 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.01 tsp | 0.34 tbsp <---Kosher
Total (177.45%):   493.09 g | 17.39 oz | 1.09 lbs | TF = 0.124236

This was for a 10" x 14" pan with a nominal TF of .1218 with 2% bowl compensation

Mixed the dough using the method described by Norma: Kitchen Aid mixer with paddle on speed 2, then level 7/8 just until it comes together.  Then a 10-minute rest.  Then a speed 2 followed by a speed 8 for another minute or 2.  I put a little all purpose flour on my hands and on the bench while balling because it was still quite sticky.  After balling and oiling the dough with vegetable oil, I did a 20 hour cold ferment in an old bread bag.  After the taking it from the fridge, I immediately pressed it into the pan and let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

Toppings:
Gallo pepperoni followed by about 11.5 oz of cheese (4.5 Cabot sharp cheddar, 3.5  WM mozz, and 3.5 provolone)
Finally, the Sauce (Garvey's terrific sauce left over from last night's Chicago thin  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.msg171274.html#msg171274 :P)

Baked in pan on top of baking steel (lowest rack) in oven pre-heated to 500 F, then went down to 450 F for the bake.  About 12 minutes total with the final 4 minutes moved off the steel and onto the top rack because I didn't want to burn the bottom and the top looked like it needed more heat.

The pizza was a hit with my family.  Everyone loved the cheddary edges best.  I think next time I'll swap out swiss for the provolone and try a mild cheddar on the edges.  I think I'll also go with 4% bowl compensation to give me a little more dough.  Thanks to this forum's members for showing us the way!

--Tim

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1993 on: July 01, 2013, 02:32:12 AM »
I had a go at making a Buddy's pizza tonight.  Used the dough formula:

Flour (100%):    277.88 g  |  9.8 oz | 0.61 lbs  <------50/50 Blend KABF and KAAP flour
Water (75%):    208.41 g  |  7.35 oz | 0.46 lbs
IDY (.7%):    1.95 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.65 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
Salt (1.75%):    4.86 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.01 tsp | 0.34 tbsp <---Kosher
Total (177.45%):   493.09 g | 17.39 oz | 1.09 lbs | TF = 0.124236

This was for a 10" x 14" pan with a nominal TF of .1218 with 2% bowl compensation

Mixed the dough using the method described by Norma: Kitchen Aid mixer with paddle on speed 2, then level 7/8 just until it comes together.  Then a 10-minute rest.  Then a speed 2 followed by a speed 8 for another minute or 2.  I put a little all purpose flour on my hands and on the bench while balling because it was still quite sticky.  After balling and oiling the dough with vegetable oil, I did a 20 hour cold ferment in an old bread bag.  After the taking it from the fridge, I immediately pressed it into the pan and let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour.

Toppings:
Gallo pepperoni followed by about 11.5 oz of cheese (4.5 Cabot sharp cheddar, 3.5  WM mozz, and 3.5 provolone)
Finally, the Sauce (Garvey's terrific sauce left over from last night's Chicago thin  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.msg171274.html#msg171274 :P)

Baked in pan on top of baking steel (lowest rack) in oven pre-heated to 500 F, then went down to 450 F for the bake.  About 12 minutes total with the final 4 minutes moved off the steel and onto the top rack because I didn't want to burn the bottom and the top looked like it needed more heat.

The pizza was a hit with my family.  Everyone loved the cheddary edges best.  I think next time I'll swap out swiss for the provolone and try a mild cheddar on the edges.  I think I'll also go with 4% bowl compensation to give me a little more dough.  Thanks to this forum's members for showing us the way!

--Tim

Tim,

Great to hear you had great results with your Buddy's clone pizza!  It looks great in every way.  ;D You sure did good with a 75% hydration dough on your first attempt and must be a natural when it comes to making this style of pizza.  :chef: I am also glad to hear your Detroit style pizza was a hit with your family.

Thanks for explaining in detail what you did and posting the photos.  Did you like how airy and light the crumb is?

Norma

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #1994 on: July 02, 2013, 03:20:03 AM »
Hi Norma.  Thanks for your compliments.  I wouldn't say I'm a natural -- just benefited from the experience and excellent posts of people like you.  :D

I thought that light and airy crumb was amazing.  While making the dough, I kept feeling like I should be adding sugar and oil, but it clearly doesn't need it.  The dough was surprisingly easy to handle, and putting it into a pan is SO much easier for me than would be trying to shape it and slide it off a peel.  I'm going to try that mixing technique on other high hydration doughs and see if it will work on them as well.

What are you using to oil the bottom of your pan these days?  I just swabbed a bit of vegetable oil with a paper towel on the bottom of the pan.

I'll have to try making one of those cinnamon sugar dessert pizzas in the near future.  They look delicious!

--Tim

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1995 on: July 02, 2013, 06:45:38 AM »
Hi Norma.  Thanks for your compliments.  I wouldn't say I'm a natural -- just benefited from the experience and excellent posts of people like you.  :D

I thought that light and airy crumb was amazing.  While making the dough, I kept feeling like I should be adding sugar and oil, but it clearly doesn't need it.  The dough was surprisingly easy to handle, and putting it into a pan is SO much easier for me than would be trying to shape it and slide it off a peel.  I'm going to try that mixing technique on other high hydration doughs and see if it will work on them as well.

What are you using to oil the bottom of your pan these days?  I just swabbed a bit of vegetable oil with a paper towel on the bottom of the pan.

I'll have to try making one of those cinnamon sugar dessert pizzas in the near future.  They look delicious!

--Tim

Hi Tim,

I do think you are natural.  High hydration doughs are usually for the advanced pizza maker, but you sure caught on fast.  ;D I am glad you like the light and airy crumb of a Detroit style pizza. 

I am using MFB (made for baking) which is a commercial baking shortening which I was give a sample of, but other members have posted that they like the Crisco butter shortening to grease their steel pans.  I haven't tried that yet, but can imagine it would be very good for greasing the pans. 

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1996 on: July 03, 2013, 06:11:57 AM »
This was one different Detroit style pizza I made yesterday.  I used the provolone cheese and grated it on the top of the other ingreidents before baking.  The pepper and yellow and red tomatoes were from my garden.  The garlic was given to me yesterday from friends of mine that do have a big garden.  I used a fine grater to grate a garlic clove over the dressings before the bake.  I thought the slice I ate tasted really good and the garlic, fresh veggies and the provolone cheese really made the slice better in my opinion. 

The other Detroit style cheese pizza was just the last one of the day.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1997 on: July 03, 2013, 06:14:29 AM »
Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #1998 on: July 03, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
Norma - pie looks great!  That's how I like my crust, nice and crispy. 

Here's a pic of last night's gluten-free DS which was the best yet with a properly crisp crust that was similar to kolache in texture (note the air bubbles).

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1999 on: July 03, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »
Norma - pie looks great!  That's how I like my crust, nice and crispy. 

Here's a pic of last night's gluten-free DS which was the best yet with a properly crisp crust that was similar to kolache in texture (note the air bubbles).
This probably sounds stupid but I'm curious how you guys make gluten-free pizzas. Thanks.  :chef:
Yours looks really natural and tasty Skee...awesome caramelizing too!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"