Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 134355 times)

Offline Skee

Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #2040 on: September 07, 2013, 08:47:53 PM »
Norma,

The strudel DS looks really tasty!  There's a cobbler style that's similar, but with cake on the bottom.  Interesting experiment. 

Britt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2041 on: September 07, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »
Norma,

The strudel DS looks really tasty!  There's a cobbler style that's similar, but with cake on the bottom.  Interesting experiment. 

Britt

Thanks Britt!  My mother really liked that DS dessert pizza.  I think if I would try it again I might use less fruit.  The Mexican cheese did go well with the fruit though.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2042 on: September 12, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
Norma gave me two leftover dough balls on Tuesday and I just now baked them up. Plain cheese and pepperoni. Thanks Norma! ;D

Steve, how do you get an edge crust like that? Those are absolutely beautiful. What brand/kind of cheese? How long of a bake at what temp?

Thanks,
Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2043 on: September 12, 2013, 07:08:17 PM »
Not really sure. Baked on the center rack @ 500 for about 10 minutes, no stone. I put foil over the pans for the last few minutes to keep the cheese from over browning. Also, I don't remember for sure but this might have been WM mozz as opposed to white cheddar.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2044 on: September 23, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »
Thought this would be a firing place to post a picture of the pizza I had at Louie's over the weekend.  The best detroit style in detroit bar none in my opinion.
-Jeff

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2045 on: September 23, 2013, 10:38:35 AM »
Thought this would be a firing place to post a picture of the pizza I had at Louie's over the weekend.  The best detroit style in detroit bar none in my opinion.

Jeff,

Thanks for posting the photo of the pizza that you had at Louie's over the weekend.  What is the differences bettween a Buddy's and a Louie's pizza?  I really like those nice dark edges and how the sauce is applied.  Is the sauce applied before the bake or after? 

I don't know what is up with my steel pans since they are seasoned well now.  My edges are lighter now all of the time.  The edges are still crisp.  I have no problems sliding the pizzas out of the steel pans now, but am curious why my edges won't get any darker now.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2046 on: September 25, 2013, 07:03:30 PM »
After posting that I can not get browner crust edges since my pans are seasoned well now, yesterday I did have some rim crusts that did brown better.  I don't know what is happening with that now. 

I had two dough balls that were already tempered in the heated holding cabinet that we not going to be used at the end of the day.  Steve and I baked them to take home.  I don't know how the big hole, or crater appeared in the Detroit style pizza.  That never happened before.

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2047 on: September 25, 2013, 07:27:36 PM »
After posting that I can not get browner crust edges since my pans are seasoned well now, yesterday I did have some rim crusts that did brown better.  I don't know what is happening with that now. 

I had two dough balls that were already tempered in the heated holding cabinet that we not going to be used at the end of the day.  Steve and I baked them to take home.  I don't know how the big hole, or crater appeared in the Detroit style pizza.  That never happened before.

Norma

Pizza sinkhole!!!! :-D

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2048 on: September 25, 2013, 08:18:11 PM »
Pizza sinkhole!!!! :-D

jon

Jon,

:-D  That was a good one.  I sure don't know why that sinkhole occurred.  The tempered dough looked the same as it always did. 

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2049 on: September 28, 2013, 01:10:21 AM »
Norma, here's another sinkhole, they must be getting around! I think you were the lucky one!!! :-D

jon

http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20100906-epic-pizza-fail.jpg
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2050 on: September 28, 2013, 10:56:25 AM »
Norma, here's another sinkhole, they must be getting around! I think you were the lucky one!!! :-D

jon

http://slice.seriouseats.com/images/20100906-epic-pizza-fail.jpg

Lol Jon, that sure is a big "sinkhole".  :-D  I am glad I didn't have that mess to clean up.   >:D 

Norma

Offline Skee

« Reply #2051 on: September 30, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
Norma,

I've also noticed a slightly less dark crust over time but have compensated by cooking at 500F instead of 475F - it shaves a few minutes off the cooking time, too.  I think the pans get less conductive as they carbonize.

Cheers,
Britt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2052 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:45 PM »
Norma,

I've also noticed a slightly less dark crust over time but have compensated by cooking at 500F instead of 475F - it shaves a few minutes off the cooking time, too.  I think the pans get less conductive as they carbonize.

Cheers,
Britt

Britt,

Thanks for telling me you also notice a slightly less dark side crust over time, but you have compensated by cooking at 500 degrees F instead of 475 degrees F.  You might be right that the steel pans get less conductive as they carbonize.  While I was at market last Monday making my doughs I turned my oven up the whole way to try and get rid of the junk on my bottom deck.  I kept working on that the whole time I was at market.  Maybe my oven is not turned back to where it was before in temperature although I did mark where the temperature dial should be.  I took my IR gun over to market today so tomorrow I will take some temperature readings.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2053 on: October 05, 2013, 06:46:02 PM »
Norma, how much dough are you using for an 8x10 pie nowadays?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2054 on: October 05, 2013, 10:47:29 PM »
Norma, how much dough are you using for an 8x10 pie nowadays?

Craig,

I am using 9.5 ounces of dough for a 8"x10" pan.

Norma

Offline FabioFognini

• Eat it up with you face!
« Reply #2055 on: October 24, 2013, 05:31:25 PM »
As a rookie here, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's taken the time to contribute to this thread (as well as the Buddy's/Shields). Particularly to Norma and Peter who have been more than generous with their thoughts and experiments.

I run a non-food technology business at the moment, and if my customers had any idea of the ratio of time I've spend reading this thread wall-to-wall vs. thinking about their issues (This thread = hydration %, work = IDY%), they'd probably suggest I'd have more fun doing pizza for a living. I wouldn't disagree.

Just wanted you to know how appreciated all the good work is. I'll be doing some Detroit Style experiments of my own this weekend, and looking forward to having my friends and family eat it up with they faces!

Best,
Fabio

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2056 on: October 24, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »

I run a non-food technology business at the moment, and if my customers had any idea of the ratio of time I've spend reading this thread wall-to-wall vs. thinking about their issues (This thread = hydration %, work = IDY%), they'd probably suggest I'd have more fun doing pizza for a living. I wouldn't disagree.

LOL. Glad you've got your priorities straight ! 

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2057 on: October 24, 2013, 06:12:53 PM »

Just wanted you to know how appreciated all the good work is. I'll be doing some Detroit Style experiments of my own this weekend, and looking forward to having my friends and family eat it up with they faces!

Best,
Fabio

Fabio,

Well-said and I agree 1000%. There are many days while at work when my employees drop something off on my desk and see a picture of one of Norma's beautiful pies, or one of Craig's brilliant spreadsheets, or one of countless others' posts or pictures on my computer.

There was a time not too long ago where I was spending way too much time on discussion groups within my own non-pizza industry. Those groups were often filled with unhelpful and often times plain mean-spirited posts. For the most part, this site has been devoid of such nonsense. This is a great community. Thanks in great part to people like Norma!

Norma for Queen!

John K

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2058 on: October 24, 2013, 08:07:24 PM »
As a rookie here, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's taken the time to contribute to this thread (as well as the Buddy's/Shields). Particularly to Norma and Peter who have been more than generous with their thoughts and experiments.

Best,
Fabio

Fabio,

Glad you learned something about making a Detroit style pizza from this thread and the Buddy's/Shields thread. 

Pizza making is a lot of fun even if everything doesn't turn out right some of time.  At least something is learned from those mistakes. 

Peter and other members have always been my guiding light in my adventures here on the forum. 

Let us know how you make out in your adventures in making a Detroit style pizza and what your friends and family think of your Detroit style pizzas. 

To put a little tang into this thread I have upped the hydration on my Detroit style pizzas for market.  Although my steel pans were seasoned well and not giving me any problems this week one of them just had a large peel off of the seasoned bottom.  I sure don't know what that happened.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2059 on: October 24, 2013, 08:08:47 PM »
Fabio,

Well-said and I agree 1000%. There are many days while at work when my employees drop something off on my desk and see a picture of one of Norma's beautiful pies, or one of Craig's brilliant spreadsheets, or one of countless others' posts or pictures on my computer.

There was a time not too long ago where I was spending way too much time on discussion groups within my own non-pizza industry. Those groups were often filled with unhelpful and often times plain mean-spirited posts. For the most part, this site has been devoid of such nonsense. This is a great community. Thanks in great part to people like Norma!

Norma for Queen!

John K

Thanks John!

Norma

pizzapan