Author Topic: I'm the newest member right now...  (Read 448 times)

Offline 333meg

I'm the newest member right now...
« on: October 17, 2012, 03:22:23 PM »
Hi I am new to this forum. I have joined for a couple of different reasons. The first being that I love pizza! Of course, right? I've known for awhile that I love it maybe just a little more than the average person when a trip to NYC last August had me armed with a list of all the pizzaria's that I would be dining at. Much to my chagrin I was going there for a 3 day cheese school boot camp and was unaware of how much cheese I would be injesting. It didn't leave much room for much else! Regardless I was able to grab of slice of Joe's in the West Village. I also learned how much bunk NYC pizza there is in NYC, a lot.

So I currently live in a pizza 'food desert', I mean college town. So there are a lot of pizza places here which are all lame! Drunk college kids just don't know any better or don't care. I do! So I'm going to try my hand at making my own lovely thin crust pie. I've tried before and all were failures. I was reared in Columbus, Ohio and on the now closed Leonardo's Pizza in Upper Arlington, anyone? My now and longtime fav is Tommy's Pizza in Columbus. This is putting aside the best of the NY slices of course. Tommy's is perfection. Very crispy thin crust cut in squares. Since I live abt 1.5 hours away I don't get it enough. I found a post in regards to it's recipe here which was another deciding factor in my joining. I could go on but I'll leave my intro to that. Thanks and I look forward to crafting a lovely pie in the future.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
Re: I'm the newest member right now...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
HAHA! Howdy, Meg. It seems like you've found the right place. We're all pizzaholics here. I'm here in columbus and actually have never tried Tommy's (not a thin crust kinda guy by nature), but it's on my short list. Also never had nor heard of Leonardo's. Where are you located in ohio?

I look forward to seeing your successes and failures on the forum. Good luck and have delicious fun!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline 333meg

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 02:50:45 PM »
Hey there Weemis! Thanks for the response. Not a thin crust guy?  What? Still Tommy's is worth a try, just check out the crust up close. It's amazing!!! I could only dream of getting close to recreating it, but will be trying.  They have been in town forever and that's always a good sign. I grew up in Upper Arlington so they are my hometown love. Iconic pie!!! My sister comes in 2x's/year. We make the sojourn to Tommy's and eat a large by ourselves with the only conversation being the critique of the pie. You know sometimes not enough cheese, others too much sauce. It's always perfect tasting though. We sound like we're food critics when we're there. I feel at home here with all you other pizzaholics. Oh and I live in Athens, a town with very crappy pizza...let me know what you think of Tommy's!

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 03:10:20 PM »
John at Avalanche is a world renowned pizzaiolo. His shop doesn't quite represent that, but they have an interesting special going on right now.

http://pizzagoon.com/uncategorized/meat-the-candidates/

you should check out his other blog posts, as well. amazing stuff!

next time you come to town, you should let me know. maybe you can show me the greatness that is tommy's?

also, check out this thread on the forum:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18699.0.html

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:52:54 AM »
Hey Meg, I hope you make some attempts at cloning Tommy's. I wanna see some pics eventually. (It's kinda lonely being the only person on the planet trying to replicate their pizza.) If you have any questions regarding anything I've learned over the last two years of trying to clone Tommy's, don't be afraid to ask. Or if you think I'm wrong about anything I've said in that thread, please speak up.

Nick, I'm still game for meeting you at Tommy's sometime (as well as Meg, of course, if she's interested). Regarding my previous postponement: I know I seem a little flaky sometimes (and I don't quite understand it myself). I guess it's just that this neurological issue has drastically changed my life almost overnight, and I'm trying to adapt to this new life. I'm gonna send a text to the phone number you PMed me so you'll have my number. If that's not a cell number, please let me know here. If it, is please respond to my text with a short confirmation.

Offline 333meg

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
Thanks so much guys for the welcome!! Oh and about Avalanche...seriously I have no idea what he's doing! It's some of the worst pizza out there. I don't eat it. He puts so much effort into advertising and has loads of toppings but other than that that is it. I don't know why he doesn't make a better pie. It's disappointing. It confuses me to no end. 

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 08:01:38 AM »
hmmmm.... curious. world class baker and brilliant guy making crappy pies? very curious. I still wanna check it out, but I'm baffled.  ???

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
hmmmm.... curious. world class baker and brilliant guy making crappy pies? very curious.

Wouldn't be the first time... or the second... or the third... or the...
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.