Author Topic: Shakey's sauce - true ingredients  (Read 2929 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Shakey's sauce - true ingredients
« on: November 21, 2005, 01:09:14 PM »
Shakey's sauce is the following:

Tomato puree from vine ripened tomatoes
Dextrose
Salt
Spices
Garlic powder
Citric acid
Maltodextrin
Natural flavor
Sodium citrate

I need a little help from you chemists, food scientists, and nuclear engineers and cooks.

I think we have tomato sauce, corn syrup, garlic powder, and vitamin C.  Can you translate a little better?

thanks

form Sacramento

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Shakey's sauce - true ingredients
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 02:10:44 PM »

Dextrose

Although I use dextrose quite a bit, I've never used it in a tomato sauce. Powdered dextrose is a sweetener I use in brines, marinades and cures. It crosses through meat cell membranes better than sucrose.

Since it is about 70% less sweet than sucrose, you might want to use less sucrose if that is what you have.

Bill/SFNM

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »
Thanks for the post elsegundo!

But my question is what's the "spices"????

Salt is listed pretty high-up on the list, do we assume that there is more salt than garlic powder

Any idea on the band of tomatoes??? I remember the sauce being slightly sweet. Escalon tomatoes are vine-ripened and very sweet from the can. They also are a rare company that dosn't alaready contain citric acid. Maybe a good place to start.

I cant recall what kind of sweetener Dextrose is (table sugar, cornsyrups solids or what)

Anyone know if it is/was a cooked sauce?

I get citric acid in powder form at a cake & candy supply stores, I use it to make super pucker suckers! Use citric acid sparingly, it STRONG stuff.
but for those who cant get this.. Lemon flavored powdered drink mix (Kool_aid) would be a good source. Sounds funny, but it usually works.

Alot of canned tomato products already contain citric acid or some other comparable acid.

Looks like I posted this in the old topic so I didn't know about Bills post on dextrose.

I have access to various forms of sugars and sweeteners. I think I might be able to get dextrose when I go out of town. I was thinking of using straight glucose (corn syrup without the added water) since it's not as sweet as table syrup. But it's as thick sap and is much more stringy than honey. I'm worried it might thicken the sauce too much.

I use an invert sugar (like powdered sugar, not nearly as sweet and dosen't contain cornstarch) and wonder if that might be a better match.
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2006, 01:20:13 PM »
The ingredients listed are exactly as they came from the box delivered to the Shakey's restaurant.  By law the ingredients are listed by weight sequence. Spices do not have to listed specifically also by law.

I know of no pizza sauce that does not have basil. Oregano is a pronounced spice and I personally don't detect it. I suspect there is a little chili powder. As to dextrose, I remember it is home made baby milk. It's been a very long time. My Irish-American parents used to keep it next to the whiskey in the cupboard and I remember the youngins being happy. Must have been the dextrose or maltose or corn syrup. I also seem to recall dextrose going into the homemade beer.

Citric acid is a preservative as well as flavoring I believe.

Finally, I believe when you get a really good Shakey's pizza, it is the best pizza in the world.