Author Topic: I bought some o' these canned tomatoes. Do I just add salt and simmer down?  (Read 686 times)

Offline psychoactive

• I Love Pizza!
Hello my buddies,

If I want to make napolitano style sauce (or just sauce that is good) do I put these in the blender with some salt, and then concentrate it a bit? or do I leave it unconcentrated? Seems a little watery for that.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
those are both good tomatoes.  for NP sauce, you'll just want to blend them very lightly or put them through a food mill so as not to oxidize them too much and add a little salt if needed.  you don't want to cook NP sauce.  if you want thicker sauce, you can just use the tomatoes or quickly dump the whole thing in a strainer to loose some of the water. 
this works best for NP mainly because of the high heat of baking, although New York sauce is also not cooked down. you want the bright flavors that get lost in cooking to shine through. 
best luck!
bill 

Offline psychoactive

• I Love Pizza!
Alright! I will try it out tonight. I already put it in the blender and blended the heck out of it though  :-X next time, I will be more gentle.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
psychoactive, those Cento certified are really good all by themselves. I have used many a can and you gotta taste the tomatoe before you add ANYTHING, cause they don't need nothin'. I generally take the tomatoe out of the can, leave the juice in the can. Hand crush the tomaoe to the desired consistancy. If too thick, add some of the juice from the can to get the consistancy you want. Be gentle with those or any fine foods.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline psychoactive

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks buddy, I will definitely be a little more careful next time.

I did start to pour out the juice, but it was so thick I felt like I was pouring pizza sauce down the drain. So I stopped about half way. I just broke my dough into two balls, tonight I will try making super thin nice pizzas with the centos tomatoes. All I did is add 1/4 tsp salt to the can. They are nice and bright flavored, I am looking forward to it!  :pizza:

Offline TXCraig1

If you save whatever juice you strain or pour out, you can always add it back. Else add it to the water when making some rice.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline jkb

Re: I bought some o' these canned tomatoes. Do I just add salt and simmer down?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 06:24:54 PM »
If you save whatever juice you strain or pour out, you can always add it back. Else add it to the water when making some rice.

...or make a Bloody Mary.

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:58:42 PM »
Love Centos and use them almost exclusively.  I never cook them down, just some seasoning and it's good to go.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline elohel

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 05:18:36 AM »
I've found blending them can give a slightly off-putting aftertaste. I believe it's because of the seeds being blended, but just a guess. Hand crushing produces a cleaner favor in my experience.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:42:12 AM »
Bill/SFNM has a good video and thread of how he made his sauce.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=10881.msg97222#msg97222 Bill also posts about using the Carmelina sauce at Reply 7 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26240.msg264891#msg264891 I also posted some links for Carmelina San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes at Reply 2 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23814.msg241869#msg241869  The last link I referenced has more about Carmelina tomatoes.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 10:16:56 PM »
Thise Carmalimas are one of my personal favorites
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »
The title of this thread me compels me to let people know that santarpios in boston does exactly this for their sauce,  which goes on top of the cheese.  They are large cans of pastene kitchen ready tomatoes.  heat and salt,  works well for them.  it is more or less NY style pizza.

pizzapan