Author Topic: Cracker crust help  (Read 716 times)

Offline jorakae

• I Love Pizza!
Cracker crust help
« on: March 24, 2015, 03:46:09 AM »
Greetings all,

Long time lurker and pizza maker. I've salivated over many of the pizzas I've seen posted and attempted many different combinations of your posted recipes. Thanks to all for your contributions.

I'm on a mission to replicate a pie dough that can produce the type of cracker crust shown in the photo. Does anyone know a recipe that can produce a similar result to this? Its texture is crispy like a cracker/thin crust, but you can see it is layered like a croissant. It is docked. Everything I've tried so far hasn't even come close. Clearly I'm doing something wrong and need to do something different. Any ideas?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Re: Cracker crust help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:57:45 PM »
I doubt that you will ever see this, and I'm surprised no one else has replied, but here are some impressions. (Keep in mind, I'm looking at your picture through my phone.)

AP flour (or relatively low protein flour).
Laminated.
Probably a pretty low hydration (around 40%?).
Looks like possibly a pretty high fat/oil percentage (over 5%?).
Maybe 8 layers or so.
Ryan
http://www.ryanspizzablog.blogspot.com

Disclaimer: Don't necessarily believe anything I say here. My brain ain't quite right anymore (unless it is). If I come off as rude or argumentative, that's probably not my intention. Rather, that's just me being honest, to myself and everyone else; partly because I don't have enough time left to BS either you or myself. If you are offended by anything I say, it's probably because you think lying to people (to be "polite") is a good idea. I don't.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
Re: Cracker crust help
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:56:01 PM »
Your photograph looks a lit like the Chicago style cracker type dough formula that I developed many years ago. I have the formula and procedure posted in the PMQ Think Tank. It is really pretty easy to make but it does require a dough sheeter/roller to form the dough balls/pucks into a pizza skin. At home you can get away using a pie pin or rolling pin but if you use a rolling pin do not use the handles, instead, roll the dough with your hands placed over the top of the barrel and pushing down with great effort. it's a workout if you are going to make very many. The dough formula is not critical in my opinion so you might want to start out using a formula that you're familiar with and make a few slight modifications.
1) Reduce the total dough absorption to not more than 50%, depending upon your flour 45% might work better.
2) Use any type of yeast at the normal level, but it MUST be suspended in the dough water.
3) Put water (80F) in mixing bowl.
4) Suspend the yeast in the water by stirring until completely suspended, then immediately add the salt and sugar (if used), followed by the oil (I personally like to use 5% oil in this dough formula), then add the flour and begin mixing at low speed just until the dough takes on a very crumbly appearance. Yes, there will still be a lot of dry flour present and it will be hard to call it a dough. In reality, it looks a lot like a pie dough in the making. The dough is not properly mixed. DO NOT OVERMIX.
5) Take the "dough" to the bench and weigh out about 12-ounces for a 12-inch diameter finished crust.
6) Form the dough into a puck shape as you would if making pie dough, pushing it together from the sides until it roughly takes on a puck like appearance, then wrap each dough piece in stretch wrap and place in the fridge to cold ferment and fully hydrate over night.
7) On the following day bring the dough out from the fridge and allow to warm at room temperature until the dough reaches 50F, then lightly flour the dough puck (you will notice that it looks better now) and begin rolling the dough out to about 1/8-inch thickness or a little less, dock the dough well and trim to 12-inches in diameter, brush lightly with olive oil and dress the skin to the order. Bake at 550 to 600F.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor