Author Topic: My first crack at the cracker.....  (Read 737 times)

Offline il selvaggio

• Not as good as it could be, but it will be!
My first crack at the cracker.....
« on: December 23, 2015, 03:19:20 AM »
I'm new here and just learning about all the different dough and how to make them, so right now I cook pizza like I play golf... I drink beer and I cheat... a lot ;D Tonight we bought some dough from our favorite local place and made everyone what they wanted, all thin, but I wanted to see how thin I could get one so I got out the rolling pin and here is the result! I had fun making it and I will try another one after I learn some of the techniques you guys are sharing in this forum. This was definitely the first pizza my wife could hear me eating... I guess if you click on the picture it helps a little.. Thanks for letting me hang out in your forum!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 03:24:26 AM by il selvaggio »

Offline texmex

Re: My first crack at the cracker.....
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 09:49:23 PM »
I'm new here and just learning about all the different dough and how to make them, so right now I cook pizza like I play golf... I drink beer and I cheat... a lot ;D Tonight we bought some dough from our favorite local place and made everyone what they wanted, all thin, but I wanted to see how thin I could get one so I got out the rolling pin and here is the result! I had fun making it and I will try another one after I learn some of the techniques you guys are sharing in this forum. This was definitely the first pizza my wife could hear me eating... I guess if you click on the picture it helps a little.. Thanks for letting me hang out in your forum!

Beer drinking I can relate to, but who cheats at golf?   :-D  it's like cheating yourself.   

Your oven, brickwork, flamethrower thread is amazing!  Now stop cheating and make a cracker dough from scratch and tell us how you did it!  You know you want to.
Reesa

Offline il selvaggio

• Not as good as it could be, but it will be!
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 12:24:32 PM »
Shoot, they don't make the boxes on the score cards big enough for my numbers... most of the time I'm mistaken as part of the course maintenance crew off in the knee high grass cutting it down with an old school scythe getting ready for fall harvest..  That's about how I felt last night as I butchered my first real attempt at a true Neapolitan margarita. Was a total bust. I think I read on here that failure may be your companion for awhile.. That's how I'm feeling today for sure. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger right? so I'll just chalk this up as a positive lesson in how not to do it and keep working at it. The most baking experience I have before this is making pancake batter so this is all new to me. I'll post some pictures of my disaster over in the Neapolitan forum for anyone who wants a good laugh! Merry Christmas to all of you and thanks for the kind words about my oven TexMex! (Speaking of TexMex, we made some burritos in the oven awhile back.. Since there was no homemade dough involved, those were a success!)

Offline texmex

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 03:43:20 PM »
Taming your pizza dough and that fire is just like taming your golf swing. Easier to deal with failure when beer is involved.  I only play on the municipal practice course where there are no hazards, no traps.  Still managed to hit plenty of trees and hit par on 1 out of 9 holes. I have about a 75 stroke handicap for 9. 

Embrace the science of baking, and try to take notes. ...eventually some things will be more natural. Even if precision plays into baking more than in general cooking, you're still gonna enjoy the ride  while you get a feel for it.  It's obvious you enjoy the journey just by seeing that oven of yours.

If ya really want to post your failures, go to the thread of shame, and you won't feel so bad.  :-D
Reesa

wordpress