Author Topic: Ok, so I've under estimated making dough a bit....  (Read 409 times)

Offline Sequioa

Ok, so I've under estimated making dough a bit....
« on: June 03, 2016, 04:55:06 PM »
I figured a mixer would solve my problems but I think I may have to read a book or two and get the hang of things. So i'm trying to take on neapolitan pizza. The dough is much more challenging than thin crust. I figured i'd try mixing for ten mins then do a 20 mins rest over and over until the dough looked good. but every time I return it to the mixer it brings it back to a tacky lumpy mess ??? ??? ???. I was hoping for any suggestions,books I might want to read or advice in general.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 05:11:06 PM by Sequioa »

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Ok, so I've under estimated making dough a bit....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:19:35 PM »
It would be helpful if you let us know the recipe and workflow you are following.

If you are mixing in a mixer for 20 minutes, resting and then mixing more - I cannot say that makes much sense.  If it is lumpy at that point, it makes less sense.

What exactly are your ingredients, the amounts and what you are doing?
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Sequioa

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 05:32:51 PM »
It would be helpful if you let us know the recipe and workflow you are following.

If you are mixing in a mixer for 20 minutes, resting and then mixing more - I cannot say that makes much sense.  If it is lumpy at that point, it makes less sense.

Im mixing for 10 then resting for 20 on and off. The way I understood it is mixing tenses the dough and sitting relaxes it...but it doesn't seem to be the case from what I can see. I figured in pizza places their probably not taking the dough out and messing with it but most likely leaving in the mixer until done. I'll be sure to post in detail in the future. I don't have a whole lot of info on my last try.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 05:33:06 PM »

Mitch:

The 20-minute "riposo" makes a lot of sense to me - it's what I do after a light kneading. A few turns around the mixer after 20 minutes smooths out lumpy dough. The water is more evenly distributed resulting in smaller aggregations of flour -> smoother dough, actually much smoother. Somewhere I have a video that clearly demonstrates this with my fork mixer. Can't seem to find it at the moment. 

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »
Mitch:

The 20-minute "riposo" makes a lot of sense to me - it's what I do after a light kneading. A few turns around the mixer after 20 minutes smooths out lumpy dough. The water is more evenly distributed resulting in smaller aggregations of flour -> smoother dough, actually much smoother. Somewhere I have a video that clearly demonstrates this with my fork mixer. Can't seem to find it at the moment.

I think i understand that.  But, he said he mixed for 10, rested for 20 "over and over".   I actually misread the 10 vs. 20 mix (oops) but the "over and over" is very vague and could be a lot!!!  My total mixer time is usually about 10 minutes - with a rest before mixing for absorption and 1 - 3 stretch and fold sessions (10 or 15 min apart) and it is always smooth.
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Sequioa

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 07:09:23 PM »
I think i understand that.  But, he said he mixed for 10, rested for 20 "over and over".   I actually misread the 10 vs. 20 mix (oops) but the "over and over" is very vague and could be a lot!!!  My total mixer time is usually about 10 minutes - with a rest before mixing for absorption and 1 - 3 stretch and fold sessions (10 or 15 min apart) and it is always smooth.
This is totaly aside from the topic but would a pizzeria do strech and folds or mix and stops in the mixer. Being their doing big batches.