Author Topic: Pizza Wars: New York vs Chicago  (Read 4824 times)

Offline xPHmgr

• Pizza for all!
Pizza Wars: New York vs Chicago
« on: January 24, 2004, 09:35:02 AM »
The TV special "Pizza Wars: New York vs Chicago" is scheduled to be on again on the Travel Channel Tuesday, January 27th at 8pm and 11pm ET.

From what I read earlier in this forum I will be watching AND recording it.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re:Pizza Wars: New York vs Chicago
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 06:02:49 PM »
Thanks for pointing this out.  I didn't even realize that I had this channel until I read this.  I don't have a cable box hooked to this TV in my computer room and the only way I can tune it is with my vcr.  Anyway, I enjoyed the show and recorded it  8)

P.S.  I noticed that Lombardi's uses Lupa tomato puree (they showed it twice from what I could see).  I wonder if it's any good???...  
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 06:08:09 PM by Nathan »
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2004, 09:44:16 PM »
I really like that show.  Recorded it behind some other pizza shows I have.  But it is far more informational.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2004, 11:47:04 PM »
Having eaten at Lombardi's several times, I can tell you that the sauce is absolutely delicious, best I've ever tasted.  Sweet, light, just a hint of zing.  

Thanks for noticing the Lupa puree!!!  My wife and I always wondered what the heck they use for the sauce.  I wonder if they "modify" it at all (i.e. add spices or other ingredients)?  And of course the million-dollar question: where do I get some? :)  THere's a wholesaler, but I doubt that they'd ship to Canada....

--Dave

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 04:31:48 PM »
I have no idea on the sauce seasoning.  But here's a "clue" on how they make it: Lombardi's pizza is whole and free-form, with a chewy, medium-thick crust, charred on the bottom, covered with long-cooked tomato sauce rather than fresh tomatoes and a blanket of fresh mozzarella rather than a few thin pieces. That's all, but that's enough.

http://www.epicurious.com/erg/nyc/lombardis.html
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

pizzapan