Author Topic: Under 2min. on my new LBE  (Read 4772 times)

Offline slybarman

Re: Under 2min. on my new LBE
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 11:10:46 AM »
This thread should probably be in the NP forum versus NY style but,

GREAT LOOKING PIE.

Keep up the good work.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
This thread should probably be in the NP forum versus NY style but,

Steve,

Although there are dough formulations that call for using other than 00 flour and are intended to make a Neapolitan style pizza, I try not to put them in the Neapolitan board. If Bob (Boatman2) decides to try 00 flour with his new LBE, he might start a new thread on the Neapolitan board to discuss his results using that flour.

It might even be appropriate to move this thread to General Pizza Making if it is not representative of a NY style.

Peter

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »
Perhaps there should be a new subsection in the Ovens section, just for grill mods.  LBE's, IR burners, the Mighty Pizza Oven thingy...  they could all fit there.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »
Perhaps there should be a new subsection in the Ovens section, just for grill mods.  LBE's, IR burners, the Mighty Pizza Oven thingy...  they could all fit there.

Brian,

Several years ago, when Steve and the Moderators completely restructured the indexing system for the forum, I made a suggestion along the lines that you mentioned but I don't recall if it was respect to grills per se or pizzas made using grills. Either way, it was decided that a grills board or child board was unnecessary. Members who feel strongly on this point should send a PM to Steve. Any change would require moving threads around, which is a chore that takes a lot of time. With only two Moderators who do the day-to-day moderating of the forum, that could be a problem.

Peter

Offline slybarman

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 03:49:55 PM »
Sorry, sorry. Not trying to stir trouble. I was just going by the look and 2 minute bake time and figured it wasn't NY style but NP.

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 04:45:20 AM »
I'm a little confused, I feel like a boat without a harbor. LOL  Since I'm new at pizza making, what kind of pizza did I make? If I used 100% caputo would it be NP? What was it called when I bake it for over 2min. Was it something else? For my next batch I will try 100% caputo/60HD/IDY 0.3/salt 1.5  I will try 800 for 90sec. I will use fresh mozzarella, the sauce I use is Classico peeled ground with very little doctoring. I lowered the HD and salt to help it to bake faster. Any opinions or suggestions will help.   Bob

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »
Bob - the salt level should be in the 2.5 range for a NP pie. Salt affects fermentation activity, not cooking time. You are correct that hydration will lower the cooking time. Start a new thread in the NP section and let us know how it goes.

John

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 07:41:14 AM »
Sorry to confuse you about the threads and classifications of pizza styles, Bob.  We're just trying to stay somewhat organized.  If we can't divide up the threads based on what device is used to cook, then we'll divide based on the end product, the pie. 

Here's a very simplified list to help classify pizzas:
 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21446.0.html

buceriasdon

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:33 AM »
Brian, The list is too simplified, there is more than just time to set Neapoltan apart from other styles of pizza, like a woodburning oven, as well as other factors. If Kenji's skillet Neapolitan (his usage) method was a two minute bake, we should call it Neapolitan? So now Neapolitan is classified by looks alone? That's one slippery slope..........
Don

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
Brian, The list is too simplified, there is more than just time to set Neapoltan apart from other styles of pizza, like a woodburning oven, as well as other factors. If Kenji's skillet Neapolitan (his usage) method was a two minute bake, we should call it Neapolitan? So now Neapolitan is classified by looks alone? That's one slippery slope..........
Don

Not my list, Don...  I agree it's very simplified, and there are many other considerations.  Suggested just for the sake of understanding organization of threads by pizza produced using generalized time/temp factors instead of cooking device.

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2012, 10:31:31 AM »
OK!!!  thank you all. I will make it 2.5 on the salt. When I do it I'll post it on NP site. I'll call it Neo-Neapolitan on the half shell, it sounds sexier than hybrid. :-D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
Are you going to try using fresh mozz Bob?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

buceriasdon

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »
This is what a Neapolitan pizza is. Anything else isn't.
http://www.fornobravo.com/vera_pizza_napoletana/VPN_spec.html

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
OK!!!  thank you all. I will make it 2.5 on the salt. When I do it I'll post it on NP site. I'll call it Neo-Neapolitan on the half shell, it sounds sexier than hybrid. :-D

How about sexier than that? "Birth of Venus" would do.  8)
AKA Botticelli's "Venus on the Half-Shell", LOL. 

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
I think I found the limits of my LBE. ;D  I took the same dough I had and bake at 780 for 88 sec. I put fresh mozz. I think I cut it to thick. I took it out of the freezer and put in the refrig over night and then at room temp for 6hr. The bottom got a little burnt and the top could have used a little more. I think I will stick more with 600 \ 700 with 2 to 3min. I still may try at least one 90sec with the new mix just to see what happens. The one thing that I found interesting was after taking it out of freezer and putting it the refrig over night and then at RT for 6hr. it puff up almost 60% I thought the yeast dies after freezing. learn something every time.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
Bob, that's precisely what I thought would happen.  Your bottom heat outstripped the ability of your current convective mass top heating setup.  Try rotating the air direction assembly 180 degrees in order to deliver a giant wallop of superheated air straight down onto the pie.  You should see a balanced bake at 800 for 90 seconds.

:)

edit: you should finger-shred the cheese to marble-size nuggets, not slice it.  You get more of an even distribution.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 10:53:47 PM by pizzaneer »

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2012, 11:58:02 PM »
Ok, I have one more ball I,ll try your suggestions. I also though this would happen. TY about the cheese idea. I'll try the 180 if it doesn't work I can put it back.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 07:10:10 AM »
Throw a couple pepperonis on there too - when they cup and char a little on the rims (like they did in your first pics on this thread) you know the top is perfect. Handy for getting the timing down.

Offline Boatman2

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »
I found a few things on this bake, I was going to turn my lid pan thingy 180 degrees, but I can't do it because of the angle pan above it. but what I found was my lid parts turned 90 degrees on my last bake. So I put them back and did some tweaking. I also moved the LBE forward on the burner so there would be a little more heat to the back. This was my last of my frozen dough balls. I put in the fridge over night. Then I decided to fold and reballed very gently at RT for 6hr. Turned on LBE at 1/4 power 18 min. Then open the dough. by reballing the dough it was perfect to work with, had a nice feel to it. it didn't feel as weak and soft (Moshy ?) I put it on at 750 and bake for 1:40 sec. In my excitement I forgot to turn the power to full for the first half of the bake. So I believe I can get more to the top. The pizza was very good, soft, with just a little crisp light texture. (I think I would like a little more crisp) I may have got that if I didn't forget the full blast of power. I have my new dough in the fridge (100% caputo.) then I'll post in the NP site. Thank you for all your comments and help.  Bob

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »
That's one nice pie! I'm jealous.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan