Author Topic: How Patsy Grimaldi Is Getting His Good Name Back  (Read 977 times)

Offline TXCraig1

How Patsy Grimaldi Is Getting His Good Name Back
« on: October 23, 2012, 09:37:38 AM »
Interesting article about the whole Grimaldi's saga. Matt Grogan, Patsy's partner at his new place, Juliana’s, and who is mentioned at the end of the article, is the guy that introduced me to the pizza I know today.

http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/10/pizza-legend-patsy-grimaldi-gets-his-good-name-back.html
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: How Patsy Grimaldi Is Getting His Good Name Back
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 10:02:06 AM »
Craig,

That is an interesting article. Several years ago, the New York Times did an article on Patsy Grimaldi when he decided to start a new place in retirement: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4298.msg35862.html#msg35862.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
Very good read, entertaining and historical. Thanks  for posting.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 02:21:40 PM »
Thanks for posting it Craig.  I think Scott should pay them a visit.  Who knows what could happen!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 03:22:35 PM »
I plan to go when they open.
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »
If Craig didn't know someone attached to this, I don't think I'd go, but since there's a confirmed 'pizza nerd' involved in running the place, I'm game.

This being said... I'm not all that optimistic.  It makes perfect sense that Grimaldi's pizza was defiled by the money grubbing franchiser that bought him out, but, there's no guarantee that the pre-buy out pies were world class, and, even if they were, there's no guarantee that Patsy, at 81, can train people a fraction of his age to be able to do exactly what he did.  Both Lombardi's and Totonno's are still the same families, without having ever been bought out, and look what's become of them.

It's a great story, and I'd be pleased as punch to see Grimaldi get his good name back and for him to put Ciolli in his place, but... I think that, between his age, an almost guaranteed lack of oversight, the hype and the legal battle, there's a lot working against this.

Craig, how well do you know Matt? Any chance you could get him to post here?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 04:45:53 PM by scott123 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 05:49:33 PM »
Craig, how well do you know Matt? Any chance you could get him to post here?

I know Matt pretty well. He was my banker years ago. He knew I liked to cook and he told me about his WFO. I didn't know anything about pizza, but I knew I needed to see it. He invited me and a couple other folks from his bank to his house for dinner, and we made a dozen or so pies. I was hooked. I can tell you one thing about Matt. He has passion. He really fostered my passion in the early days.

I kind of doubt I could get him to post. It's not really his thing. Maybe after Juliana’s is up and running, but certainly not before.
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 09:32:19 PM »
Craig, would he grant you a quick interview perhaps? That would be quite the scoop!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
I plan to go when they open.

If I could score a pass from the Warden, and I got an invite, i would love to go also.  Thanks.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan