Author Topic: Fresh mozzarella looks pretty bad on my pie  (Read 5436 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Fresh mozzarella looks pretty bad on my pie
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 02:39:43 PM »
contact your grande rep.   Mine not only told me all the wholesalers that sell in my area, but he also contacted a nearby pizzeria and asked them if they would sell to me.  

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
Thanks, I sent them an email.
Bert,

Offline La Sera

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »
I use the same cheese in a stone-bed gas oven. The bake is about 4.5 minutes because it's a delivered pizza and has to travel. I add the cheese the last 90 seconds, otherwise it would be burned like yours in the first posts.

Photo Link>>

Offline landras

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
Thanks Scott... I will see if I can get Grande's fresh mozzarella it in Houston...

please let me know if you find somebody, if 6 pounds is too much for you we could share..

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
I got a response from Grande indicating they don't deal with consumers directly... They didn't offer any other option...

landras , I will let you know if I find another source...  Are you in Houston?
Bert,

Offline landras

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
I got a response from Grande indicating they don't deal with consumers directly... They didn't offer any other option...

landras , I will let you know if I find another source...  Are you in Houston?

Yes, I live close to 59 @ Wesleyan

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »

Have you looked at Central Market? They all make fresh mozzerella in house, I believe. Probably from Grande curd.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2012, 01:53:08 PM »

I work at 59 & HWY 6... Let me know if you try Central Market as Craig sugested.
Bert,

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
They may sell the curd. If its not on the shelf, I'd ask. It's really easy to make mozzerella, and its really good.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline landras

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
Have you looked at Central Market? They all make fresh mozzerella in house, I believe. Probably from Grande curd.

No, I do not shop often there, way overpriced to my taste, but will go to see if they have. Maybe 2 weeks from now, this weekend have to finish installing bedroom floor, next weekend going to formula one in austin... >:D

Offline landras

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 02:09:04 PM »
I work at 59 & HWY 6... Let me know if you try Central Market as Craig sugested.

I will.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 03:23:41 PM »
uggh... not very helpful that grande rep.  Contact the rep again and tell them you just want to know what foodservice providers in your area carry their fresh mozzarella.    If they question you (ask for your business name...whatever) tell them you are working on a recipe because you plan to open a pizzeria/catering operation/ mobil wfo ...whatever!    There is no reason why they shouldn't direct you to the people that sell their cheese!!!!  I do consulting for pizzerias around the country, and have contacted grande reps in at least 9 different states at this point to get samples.  So far every rep I have contacted has freely given out this list without questioning my credentials.  If you want me to I will contact them for you and get the list... just send me a PM.  It sounds like the wording you used may have scared them off.   This is a wholesale not a retail product, but that doesn't mean your not entitled to use it if you go through the proper channels!    

Once you get the list, contact the foodservice providers and ask them if they do "cash and carry".  Many will try to get credit apps before they will sell to you, and are set up only for very large orders, but many also have a way to sell to smaller catering companies, or even individuals.  "cash and carry"   that means that you dont need to be set up for delivery and you aren't expecting them to front you the products (so no need for a credit application).   If they aren't set up for cash and carry, tell them that you are willing to pick it up.... and you will show up with exact change in cash.    If all of this fails you are out of luck, but I think its worth one more try.   Again... the thing that makes this possible is that the case size for the fresh mozzarella is 6lbs.    Most of these places wont break cases, and thats really more of an issue if your looking for the aged loaf mozzarella that comes in 48lb cases!    
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:28:44 PM by scott r »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2012, 03:27:18 PM »
One more thing I have done when all else fails when trying to purchase wholesale is to explain my situation to a salesperson at the fooservice provider.    I ask them if they will give me names of restaurants that are using the product im looking for so that I can contact the restaurant and buy it from them.    This surprisingly works most of the time!    A big part of this game is sounding like a pro (even if you aren't)  and conveying your passion of making the best pizza possible.  

Offline landras

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2012, 03:51:54 PM »
looks like there is not a single store in the housto area....

http://www.piacci.com/find-store

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
Thanks Scott, I contacted them again by email (my only way of communication during working hours). When I asked for their wholesalers in the Houston area. They requested my company, name, address phone number... I will stick to whatever I find at Costco or Sam's. I was happy with the cheese I got last weekend from CostCo.

I moved on to another challenge to get as close as possible to a NEO pie with my oven... http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21911.0.html 
Bert,

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
Thanks Scott, I contacted them again by email (my only way of communication during working hours). When I asked for their wholesalers in the Houston area. They requested my company, name, address phone number... I will stick to whatever I find at Costco or Sam's. I was happy with the cheese I got last weekend from CostCo.

What cheese did you get from CostCo that you were happy with and what was the cost? I was going to look into what they had when I went this there weekend.
Chaz

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2012, 07:18:58 PM »
What cheese did you get from CostCo that you were happy with and what was the cost? I was going to look into what they had when I went this there weekend.

The fresh mozz I got there (not water packed) once was terrible. I forget the name. It was two 1# pieces in a black tray with a plastic overwrap.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2012, 07:23:58 PM »
I posted a picture of it in my previous post
s
. http://www.belgioioso.com/

It comes in two logs, pre-sliced. I dried the slices with paper towel for an hour, I followed Craig's recommendation by placing mozzarella first on the dough than sprinkle tomatoe sauce around the cheese.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 07:27:08 PM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2012, 07:40:43 PM »
They have pretty nice video on how

BelGioioso Fresh Mozzarella Curd Stretching Instructions

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=VcUZTrbR16o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVcUZTrbR16o
Bert,

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 02:34:30 AM »
I didn't read all the posts but am I the only one here who does not like fresh moz on my pizzas? Don't care for the taste, look or texture.