Author Topic: Flowers?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Flowers?
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:44:47 AM »
I noticed that a regular on My Pie Monday articles on Seriouseats.com with the screen name Amusebouche1 uses flowers on almost every one of her pies. Is there actual flavor that can be had on pies from the flowers? it seems a little silly to me, and follow that line that appearance trump flavor.

I guess you can tell that I am not a fan of additions to food unless they serve as a flavor enhancer. I feel you can make something look good without extraneous additions, and I agree that the way food appears to the eye is half the battle. Maybe I am completely wrong with the addition of flowers, but at this point don't think so.

BTW, if Amusebouche1 is a member here I am not trying to cut down on her style of baking, I'm just trying to understand the thought process and reasoning behind the flowers. If it truly is just about looks, but it suits her style of cooking I'm all for it. We all have different lines of thinking and that's what makes this forum such a great place to learn and experience new things. 
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Flowers?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:42:51 AM »
There's some flowers that are very tasty.  They can have varying types and amounts of flavor.  One I've used before on pizza (post bake) is begonia. It has a tangy, citrus taste that is strong but not overpowering.  When coupled with a ham and egg pizza, it's a beautiful thing.  I would totally have it for breakfast.  Unfortunately, I'm not THAT much of a morning person. 8)

See here for more info about edible flowers in general: (click to look inside the book) http://www.amazon.com/The-Edible-Flower-Garden-Series/dp/9625932933/?tag=pizzamaking-20
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:55:25 AM »
I think the subtle flavor of say squash blossoms would be lost and wasted on someone with a closed mind when it comes to pizza toppings. I love squash blossom soup, pizza and quesadillas. You seem to have your mind made up already but hey, it's free country, you like what you like and I'll do the same. I have other photos here but can't seem to locate them.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11837.0.html

Don

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 09:38:54 AM »

The small flowers from a basil plant beside the basil flavor are quite sweet resulting in an overall delicate flavor.  Yum.

Bob

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:29:40 AM »
There's a list of edible flowers here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_flowers

Each one is different. Some are more for show than flavor, while others will tweek your face. My friend grows Nasturtium, and they're really spicy, similar to wasabi.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 11:31:11 AM by weemis »
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline AltaCaliforniaPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 05:58:31 AM »
Nasturiums are one of my fave ingredients. They are wonderful on a chevre and potato pizza as a little peppery/floral note. They are easy to grow but are a bit heat intolerant, so hard to grow here in the Central Valley. But, with a little shade they can manage. They spread easily, so are best in containers or a raised bed. The aromaticity of flowers is other worldly - so why not. I'll have to check out some other flowers for pizzas. Anyone have any experience there?

Offline Skinny

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 05:05:31 PM »
If you have chives in your garden try some chive flowers. Pretty and tasty. :chef:

pizzapan