Author Topic: I think Im going to have to make this pie...sounds interesting.  (Read 595 times)

Offline Chaze215

Chaz

Offline TXCraig1

Re: I think Im going to have to make this pie...sounds interesting.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
I saw that. Sounded good to me too. I will make one at some point.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »
Oh man, that does sound good!

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 03:24:20 AM »
Ok, here it is. I'll call it Bacon Mozzarella Pizza.

I had about 3 ounces of spare dough tonight so I formed a thin 7 inch pizza dough. I topped it with mozzarella cheese, then some bacon which I partially cooked in the microwave and drizzled it with a mix of melted butter and maple syrup. I also brushed the just outer rim with the butter & syrup mix.

I baked it about 5 minutes on a stone measuring about 650 Deg F. in my gas oven.

I liked it. The combo of mozz cheese, and bacon go very well together, enhanced by the butter flavor and sweetness of the syrup. I think I'll classify this one as an appetizer pizza where I make small pies and cut them up onto mini bite sized pieces.

---pete---

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »
Pete, do you think it would go better with fully cooked bacon so it's crispy?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline petef

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 09:19:09 AM »
Pete, do you think it would go better with fully cooked bacon so it's crispy?

I personally would not want crispy bacon. This pizza is very similar to to an appetizer I make using slices of bread cut into squares topped with cheese & bacon. I partially cook the bacon before placing them under the broiler and that results in perfectly cooked bacon.

In my previous pizza pic you will see that the bacon is buried in the sea of cheese. The cheese bubbles up as it's baking and the bacon becomes submerged. If you desire crispy bacon on the surface it might be better to cook it on the stovetop and add it on at the last minute as the pizza bakes in the oven.

---pete---

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 01:08:03 PM »
That pizza looks insanely delicious! I wonder how it would taste with a stronger cheese, like gorgonzola?

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 04:54:11 AM »
Wow, the browning on your crust and cheese is phenomenal. I guess that can only really be achieved at higher temps like in a gas oven. I'm interested in your use of softer bacon though. Think it would be best if I make this and cut it very very small? Crispy bacon is easy to eat to me, but when larger chunks are softer I have found some to be chewy. That may make it hard to get a bit of the pie without getting a ton of toppings sliding around.

And I bet a strong cheese would be great. As good as gorgonzola goes with sweet fruits and crusty breads, I bet it would be equally good with syrup. Probably a lower amount that with other cheeses though. I've used too much when eating it and the flavors kind of clashed. 
More is better..... and too much is just right.

pizzapan