Author Topic: Kettle Pizza Setup Questions?  (Read 968 times)

Offline PuRowdy

• Supporting Member
Kettle Pizza Setup Questions?
« on: October 24, 2012, 06:59:13 PM »
I just picked up a new Weber 22.5" Kettle Grill today and ordered the Kettle Pizza, I have a few questions about setting it up with the basic mods that are pretty popular and was hoping for some input.

I'm wondering what size/type of stones I should use for the cooking stone on the bottom and the upper stone to hold the heat in. 

Could I use my pizza steel on the lower cooking surface, I assume it would be okay if it was hit by flames?

What would be the max size you would recommend for the lower stone/steel?  I take it I want to leave some opening for air flow/flames?

For the upper stone should I just get the largest size possible?  I have seen pics of people taking a 21" and cutting it so that you can remove the side during cooking, I guess I'm not sure why I would want to remove it, any clarification on that would be great.

Thanks..

-Colin

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
Re: Kettle Pizza Setup Questions?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:35:41 PM »
Colin:

One of the challenges that we hear about with this setup (and all grill setups) is balancing top and bottom heat. Using a steel for the lower surface would make this even more challenging, because the steel is so much more conductive than cordierite or fibrament. I would definitely not use steel on the bottom. I'll leave the rest of the questions to others who have more experience with the Kettle Pizza setup.

Barry
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »
I'm in complete agreement with Barry. See post 10 and 11 for steel as a hearth.
Don
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13610.0.html
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:00:45 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 04:42:39 PM »
I'd go with Jackitup's Red Head setup.  He done it right.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19973.0.html
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.