Author Topic: 6 in 1 tomato question  (Read 4737 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
6 in 1 tomato question
« on: January 24, 2004, 07:28:24 PM »
Has anyone on here ever bought any 6 in 1 tomatoes from Gordon Food Service?  I'm just asking because I just ordered a case from them but I'm not sure what ones they are.  On their site http://www.gfs.com/content_us/products/product_guide/pages/007.html it doesn't say if they're peeled or not.  Does anyone know which ones they are?  They'll be in on Monday so I'll know then but I figured I'd ask here just for the hell of it.  

Thanks.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re:6 in 1 tomato question
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 07:20:07 PM »
Either way they will be good.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 09:25:53 PM »
what is a 6 in 1 tomato?
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 09:59:53 PM »

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 12:20:05 PM »
what is a 6 in 1 tomato?

6-in-1 tomatoes are a must have when it comes to making Chicago-style pizza.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2004, 05:09:56 AM »
Hmm I do liek the way they look.  I've obviously neve rused them.  I will hav eto give them a shot.  I see the term used alot here.
Trancending time, an age old battle with no victor...

An eternal struggle withthin every being...

The threads of fate which bind the very essence of existence...

Thick crust, or thin?

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2004, 06:56:12 PM »
Well I got the tomatoes today.  They're unpeeled with heavy puree added (I think). Looks like I have to figure out a plan for making sauce now.  I plan on using some of them to try making Chicago style pizza but I don't have a pan for it yet.  

Does anyone have any suggestions for making New York style sauce with these?  I noticed on their website their recipes for sauce use Bonta sauce mixed with these or Bonta tomato puree.  I can get the Bonta sauce where I got these tomatoes from.  

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 07:58:55 AM »
For a Chicago pizza, dump a can of 6-in-1 tomatoes into a mixing bowl and add 2 tsp. fresh chopped basil, 1 clove fresh minced garlic, and 1 tsp. dried oregano. Mix well and add to pizza (do not pre-cook the sauce).
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 05:56:21 PM »
Will that be enough seasoning for these cans?  They're #10 cans  (6lb.9oz. each)  :-[  I definitely plan on trying to make a Chicago style but I have to get a pan first or use my cast iron skillet  :-\

I ended up making some sauce last night for NY style and it turned out pretty good IMO.  I used Escalon's Classic (the first one listed) recipe, halved.  The only thing I did different was I put the tomatoes through a food mill to get rid of the skin.  Now I have about 2.5 gallons of sauce  ;D

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 08:10:14 PM »
6 pound cans?

That's a lot of sauce!

My cans are 28 oz. cans.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2004, 09:38:48 PM »
For my Chicago style pizza I ladle the 6-in-1 directly onto the pizza and use a mix of dried basil, oregano, parmesan, and romano cheese to top it.

DKM
« Last Edit: January 28, 2004, 09:39:18 PM by DKM »
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2004, 11:02:25 PM »
Sounds good guys.  I'll give it a try one of these days (after I get the NY perfected)  :P

It is a lot of sauce Steve but for $23 I think the case was worth it.  I make pizza a lot and will probably be making it even more now.  Good thing I have 2 kids that could live on pizza alone  ;D  

Do any of you ever freeze sauce? Will it change the texture or anything?  I'm trying to figure out what to do with some of what I made last night since there's no way I'll be able to use it all before it goes bad.

Offline dark_angel04

• I Love Pizza!
Re: 6 in 1 tomato question
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 10:26:15 PM »
I just purchased 6 cans of 6 IN 1 (All-Purpose Ground Tomatoes in Puree) and 6 of Bella Rossa (Tuscan Tomato & Herb Pasta Sauce) for testing purposes.  I realized after ordering that on the bottom it says "Retail Sizes Available for Purchase" and that for example Bonto and Cristina's does not let you order online.  Does this mean that the other ones are available for "Food Services Professionals"?

None of their online recipes use the Tuscan Tomato & Herb Pasta Sauce, that made me feel very good about my order  ;D

What size are the cans for restaurants?  and does anyone know the price?  Thanks a lot

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 11:32:11 PM »
dark_angel104,

You are correct that the Escalon website only allows purchase online of the 6-In-1s and the Bella Rossa. I don't know where you are located at the moment, and whether Escalon ships to Mexico, but you should be able to get the other Escalon brands from a distributor of foodservice company. If you are in the U.S., I believe you may be able to purchase some of the other Escalon brands, including the Bonta and the Cristina, from PennMac, at http://www.pennmac.com. You will see some Escalon products at the PennMac website under the "Pizza Makers" tab at the top of the homepage to the right, but PennMac sells many other products that are not shown on their website. You may want to call PennMac at 412-471-8330 or 1-800-223-5928 and ask to speak with Rose. She is a member of the forum and should be able to tell you what Escalon products PennMac sells. I think you will find that the Bonta and Cristina tomatoes are sold only in #10 size cans. A #10 can holds just under 7 pounds of tomatoes. A typical price at PennMac is around $5, but Rose should be able to tell you specific prices for the brands you are looking for.

I was able to find pizza recipes at the Escalon site using the Bella Rosa for pizzas but not for pizza sauces. I used the pull down boxes on the recipe page to find the recipes.

Peter

Offline dark_angel04

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »
Yeah, I sent Escalon an e-mail and they are going to send me a sample of the Bonta # 10 can.  I am located on the Arizona region, in the mexican side though.  I have a US bank account and address, so shipping is not a problem.

I also contated Cento and see if they would send a sample.... I want to start with my testings right away!  :) 

Yes, I will call Rose and ask her a few questions I have... Thanks Pete!

Offline zapzi

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2007, 12:02:21 PM »
Help- went to the Escalon site and filled out the info and they say I need company name and my e-mail was not right.  Do you have to be a food purveryor to purchase?  How do you get around this?  I was ready to buy 6 cans of the 6 in 1.  Although the Pennsylvania company's prices for the tomatoes are much cheaper their shipping prices are outrageous so I really wanted to order from Escalon.  Thanks.

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2007, 12:49:24 PM »
Help- went to the Escalon site and filled out the info and they say I need company name and my e-mail was not right. 
For the Company name just put Home, as far as your email can't help you there?
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.