Author Topic: Figuring out Kamut Khorosan flour  (Read 1707 times)

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Figuring out Kamut Khorosan flour
« on: October 25, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
I have a gas oven that has a broiler on top as well as a broiler compartment underneath.  I preheated my 16 x 16 x 0.5 steel plate for 1.5 hours and achieved a plate temperature of 600 degreed.  A little before I launched I turned on the top broiler which is about 6.5 inches from the plate.

The dough formulation I used was:

Water - 70%
IDY - 0.56%
Salt - 1.75%
Oil - 2.98 %
Sugar - 1.05%
TF = 0.75

I chose 70% hydration after I had found a formulation for spelt flour dough (also an ancient grain) in "Artisan  Pizza and Flatbread in Five Minutes a Day".  Although there is no information about the absorption rate of Kamut, I do know that it is drier than other flours. At 70% hydration the dough ball practically formed itself in the mixer, so I thought I had stumbled upon the "magic" number.  The dough was fermented for three days and it was easy to extend.

The pizza was thoroughly cooked after three minutes.  The bottom was evenly charred, not burned, but on its way there.  Disappointingly, the pizza wasn't crisp at all.  Otherwise it was very flavorful. Kamut excels in this regard.

This flour is used at SliceTruck Pizzeria with great success using just a deck oven, so I know that what I want to achieve is definitely possible.  The owner has been very generous with information, but he will not pass on his precise dough formula. 

So I guess my question is where do I make the adjustment?  Ditch the oil?  Dial the hydration down?  Lower temp and longer bake?  I've gotta be very close.   

Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline dwighttsharpe

Re: Figuring out Kamut Khorosan flour
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 07:25:12 PM »
They look to be using what may be a "white flour", ie., the bran has been sifted out.

http://www.slicetruck.com/

Is that what you are using? If you are using a whole grain flour, it would make quite a difference.
Dwight

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:40:26 PM »
jsaras: I actually wonder if it might be better to use cordierite for this at 525-ish, and bake for 5-6 minutes. My experience with steel (not using kamut) was that I had a hard time a balanced top/bottom heat even at 565, and the bottom was always on the verge of getting burned while the top was still pretty soft, even when I broiled for 2 of the 4 minutes. You might also try to bring the oil down to 1%.

Dwight:  The whole grain kamut flour that I've used (for bread) doesn't have any darker colored bran in it (like whole wheat or spelt flour). It is a uniform, slightly golden color (kind of like semolina). One issue is that it doesn't have as much gluten in it as wheat flour. It does have a wonderful, slightly nutty, slightly buttery flavor to it.

Just writing about it is making me want to try using it in a pizza dough (I will probably mix it with a malted wheat flour).

Barry
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:43:38 PM by bfguilford »
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 11:01:52 AM »
As Barry noted, Kamut does not have any dark bran in it.  The protein level is hard to determine.  If you believe this (SliceTruck gets their flour directly from here), it's nearly 15%: http://www.kamut.com/userfiles/10-9%20Nutrient%20Web%20doc%202006-2011%20values.pdf 

However, if you get that flour from Bob's Red Mill (which is supposedly supplied by the same place)they list the protein level at 10%: http://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-kamut-flour.html

Perhaps going with a lower temp and longer bake?  I know that goes against conventional wisdom, buet whaddaya going to do?

Steel has given me wonderfully even bakes and I'm reluctant to leave it for now. 

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:11:11 PM »
Here's how Kamut Khorosan flour bakes up at SliceTruck.  They have a Baker's Pride oven and I think they bake at 500 degrees.

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 12:09:34 AM »
The video that I linked above clearly shows where Slice Truck is getting their Kamut: Montana Flour and Grain.
The label on the bag in the video indicates it is "white" flour. A type also mentioned at Montana's website.

If you cannot get this exact flour, maybe contact "Montana" to find out more about it. I believe the "white" indicates something...

Good luck.

P.S. From Montana's website:

"... We sell KAMUT® as a whole grain, whole grain flour and white flour..."

http://montanaflour.com/products/kamut/

I think this and the picture below is evidence enough that Slice Truck is not using pure whole grain Kamut.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 01:20:18 AM by dwighttsharpe »
Dwight

Offline bfguilford

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
Good eyes, Dwight. I never knew that anyone sold Kamut other than as whole grain. I'm still going to try some in my pizza dough down the road. I love the taste in my bread.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
I get my flour from Slice Truck, so I'm using the right flour. 

Good catch on the whole grain vs. white flour.  The white flour is only sold by the palate, so it's not a viable option for most folks unless you have a retail operation.   That said, I purchased a small bag of Bob's Red Mill organic whole grain Kamut.  I could not detect much difference visually, if any at all.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »