Author Topic: Spangler Clone Dough  (Read 1379 times)

Offline jazzij

Spangler Clone Dough
« on: October 25, 2012, 01:28:39 PM »
Hello

I am new to the forum and love all the passion for pizza here. I have been making home pizza's for quite a few years using a Brian Spangler clone dough that i came across after a visit to apizza scholls on a trip to portland. I use this recipe more often than not with some variation and very good to excellent results. Unfortunately my home oven maxes out at approx 500 degrees so i cannot achieve the desired leoparding, but taste and texture is very good. I have attached the recipe for those interested, although it probably has been through the forum before. I have also attached some poor quality pics from the other night (blackberry is no nikon). Look forward to sharing recipes and ideas with everyone:

jeff g

The final dough formulation:
Flour (100%):
Water (74%):
IDY (0.025%):
Salt (1.75%):
Total (175.775%):   378.61 g  |  13.36 oz | 0.83 lbs
280.17 g  |  9.88 oz | 0.62 lbs
0.09 g | 0 oz | 0 lbs | 0.03 tsp | 0.01 tbsp
6.63 g | 0.23 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.19 tsp | 0.4 tbsp
665.51 g | 23.47 oz | 1.47 lbs | TF = 0.09225
Note: Dough for a single 18” pizza; nominal thickness factor = 0.09; bowl residue compensation = 2.5%

The preparation of the dough started with the preparation of the poolish preferment. The amount of yeast, the poolish water temperature, and the room temperature at which the poolish is to preferment have to be just right in order to have the poolish ready to use, that is, at the “break point” or shortly thereafter,  in this case, 14 hours. To achieve this objective, use 0.03% of the poolish flour as IDY for the poolish, along with a water temperature of 65 degrees F and a room temperature of 80-82 degrees F. to make a 12-15 hour poolish. The precise poolish protocol is summarized as follows:

Poolish
Poolish Flour, at 25% of the total formula flour = 94.65 grams (3.34 ounces)
Poolish Water, at 65 degrees F = 94.65 grams (3.34 ounces)
IDY (0.03% of the Poolish Flour) = 0.032 grams (0.0011 ounces)
Poolish weight = 189.34 grams (6.68 ounces)
Estimated prefermentation time to reach the “break point” = 12-15 hours

The amount of IDY in the poolish is extremely small and comes to about two thirds of a 1/64-teaspoon measuring spoon. the poolish expanded by about 380% over a 14-hour period. At about 14 hours, the poolish achieved the break point, which was a signal that the poolish should be used at that time, or shortly thereafter. Use the poolish as part of the Final Mix when it reached the break point, at which time the poolish would be combined with the rest of the formula flour, formula water and formula IDY, and the salt. The Final Mix can be summarized as follows:

Final Mix
Poolish: 189.34 grams (6.68 ounces)
Remaining Formula Flour = 283.96 grams (10.02 ounces)
Remaining Formula Water = 185.52 grams (6.54 ounces)
Remaining Formula IDY = 0.095 grams (0.032 ounces), or about 1 1/3 of a 1/64-teaspoon “drop” measuring spoon
Formula Salt = 0.63 grams (0.23 ounces), or 1.19 t.
Total dough weight= approximately 648 grams (22.86 ounces)

Once the final dough was prepared, it was allowed to ferment at room temperature (around 80-82 degrees F) for about 10 hours, to equal a total of 24 hours with the 14-hour prefermentation period. Perform a total of five “stretch and fold” operations on the dough, at 45-minute intervals. After the last stretch and fold, place the dough into a container to ferment for the rest of the 24-hour period.   

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Spangler Clone Dough
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »
Excellent documentation and resulting pizza. I have used Brian's recipe in the past, at a lower hydration, and it makes an incredible dough.

John

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »
Is that KABF I see in the second shot?  If not, what flour did you use?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline jazzij

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:08:56 PM »
yes, KABF...I usually use KABF. I have also used 00 but for some reason i had poor results, can't really say it was the 00 or not, it was a bag the wife picked up for me at william sonoma. Anyway,  I find the KABF pretty reliable and the KASL is too expensive for minimal difference in my opinion

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:15:52 PM »
Jeff,

What you posted is based on the work I did a few years ago to reverse engineer Brian's dough using only publicly available information.  I described everything I did at Reply 17 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7225.msg76431.html#msg76431. Like you, my oven wasn't up to the task and I had to improvise to make an 18" pizza in my home oven.

Brian subsequently joined the forum and, with his help, I came up with the dough formulation he actually uses at Apizza Scholls. I will find the posts and give you the link. As it turned out, my formulation was quite close to what Brian did. I didn't realize that my formulation was floating around the Internet.

Peter

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 02:18:31 PM »
I find it interesting that there is no oil in the formula.  In my experience, that produces a pizza crust that becomes really really tough to chew as it cools off.  

Also, what yeast was used for the preferment? Commercial IDY/ADY? A starter like Ischia? Wild yeast in a mother dough regimen?

pics look great BTW

aha, Petezza remembers!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »
Jeff,

This is the post you should look at: Reply 95 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11994.msg124161.html#msg124161. You might also want to read the posts leading up to Reply 95 and those that followed. That will give you a more complete story.

Peter

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »
yes, KABF...I usually use KABF. I have also used 00 but for some reason i had poor results, can't really say it was the 00 or not, it was a bag the wife picked up for me at william sonoma. Anyway,  I find the KABF pretty reliable and the KASL is too expensive for minimal difference in my opinion

00 flour is best appropriated to high heat ovens and is not designed for home oven temperatures. Hence your poor results.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline jazzij

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 02:33:43 PM »
ahh, makes sense weemis, thanks...time for a new oven

Offline jazzij

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »
another pie from the same dough batch...sopressata and sprouts

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »