Author Topic: too much salt?  (Read 1205 times)

Offline AJ72

too much salt?
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:21:14 AM »
Hey guys,
I made my dough today for Sunday's pizzas.  I tried an improvised version of Jeff Varasano's recipe which called for 3.5% kosher salt.  I am doing a 3 day cold ferment.  I felt that this amount of salt was too much.  After the dough was completed I tasted a pinch of the dough and sure enough it tasted very salty.  I have never tasted my dough before so I couldn't compare to my normal 2.5%.  Will the saltiness of the dough reduce as it ferments?  Does anybody think 3.5% salt is normal.  Jeff has some of the best looking crusts I have ever seen so I'm sure he knows what he is doing.  I just hope I don't embarrass myself in front of my guests Sunday night with overly salty crusts.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: too much salt?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
I am usually around 2.5 myself, but I have heard of neapolitan pizzerias going up into the 3's.  I move my salt percentage around a little depending on the kind of cheese I am using (grande is very salty compared to some others).    Fresh mozzarella or buffala have very little salt.   Dont add too much salt to your sauce.    Romano ads a lot of salt too, so be careful if you use that.    I think you can balance it out with the toppings and you will be fine.

Yes, salt does slow down the fermentation quite a bit, and in places without coolers for the dough (some old school spots in naples) they go up this high with the salt in the warm summer months.   I have found that it can also make the dough tougher when it has this much salt.

Still, I think you will be fine if you let it fully ferment and be careful with toppings.
Good luck!    
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:28:43 PM by scott r »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 12:21:31 PM »
 that is a lot of salt. in the neapolitan method the salt level is adjusted to compensate for the elements. that much salt may toughen you dough. also, if you are not cooking at high temperatures it will be very noticeable. the norm for bread 1.75 to 2.00. i would go a little above 2 percent.sometimes neapolitan dough slaps you in the tung with the salt in the dough.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 12:23:02 PM »
 sorry,didn't read scott's reply he covered it all!!

Offline T-Hog

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:09:21 AM »
If you're ever in Manhattan, try a slice at Sal and Carmine's on Broadway just south of 102nd. I've never tasted a saltier dough, but you know what? It's great pizza.

pizzapan