Author Topic: Sacrilege?  (Read 816 times)

Offline f.montoya

Sacrilege?
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:51:47 AM »
I just ran upon this video and I said to myself, "Hey, I know these guys!" One of them (the shorter, elder guy) trained the pizzaiolo/owner of the AVPN place just down the road from my house here in Japan. Now, supposedly these guys are AVPN, and certified. I have no qualms about the average Joe using a gas oven, because we all do(and I have done my share of) tricks and modifications to achieve NP-like results. However, it seems contradictory and even hypocritical for AVPN guys to be promoting "gas" baking of Neapolitan Pizza. If anything, this tells me that the whole "AVPN" establishment means nothing...and a great pizza is a great pizza. Personally, I still believe the best NP requires the "kiss" of wood fire, but for the most part, I cannot deny that beautiful pies don't "require" it.

What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Egy3hinp0k

Online TXCraig1

Re: Sacrilege?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:19:59 AM »
With respect to not using wood, I'm guessing that you can vent a gas fired oven directly into the open in the convention center but there is no way to vent a wood oven.

It's hard to get much out of the video. It would appear that the Woodstone 9660 has its challenges baking Neapolitan. The bottom of the pie at 1:35 is black. Likewise, the pie at 1:54 looks like it's been in the oven for about 15 seconds, and its already scorched around the rim. They also seem to need to bake right next to the fire - at least at first.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
Fidel, that video is sacrilegious, but not because it's respected Neapolitans promoting gas, but because it's respected Neapolitans promoting an oven with well known defects- defects that, as Craig pointed out, are even visible in the video.

This is, imo, one of the many stomach turning aspects of the expo.  Starita doesn't make it onto many Neapolitan top 10 lists, but, because of the Sophia Loren movie, as well as his mentoring of Roberto Caporuscio, his name carries some heft.  For a man of his stature to debase himself in this manner, it's deplorable.  Just because prostitution is legal in Nevada, it doesn't make this right ;D

As far as gas being used for NP, it's not that cut and dry.  I'm a big believer that pizza doesn't discriminate where the heat comes from.  Stefano Ferrara makes a gas oven with a very powerful drago burner that has been proven to be able to produce Neapolitan bake times.  It's been out for about 2 years, and while it seems to produce some respectable pies, I have yet to see a Da Michele (at it's best) quality pie or a Craig quality pie come out of one.  I'm not saying that it can't, but before I start telling people to buy one, I'd like to see it produce a pie of this caliber.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 02:02:27 PM by scott123 »

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
They seem to be working awfully hard for mediocre pizza.
http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin