Author Topic: Cake Yeast Dough  (Read 14630 times)

Offline bakeshack

Cake Yeast Dough
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
I've been working on my dough made with cake yeast and this is the best I've made so far.  I like the micro leopard spots I get with it together with a more even browning around the spots similar to what I usually see in pies from Naples.  The pizza was very tender and flavorful. 

100% Caputo Pizzeria
58% Water
0.1% Cake yeast
2% Salt

Hand mixed/kneaded.  Bulk for 2 hrs and balled for another 24 hrs at 65F.

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
Re: Cake Yeast Dough
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:41:11 PM »
I've been working on my dough made with cake yeast and this is the best I've made so far.  I like the micro leopard spots I get with it together with a more even browning around the spots similar to what I usually see in pies from Naples.  The pizza was very tender and flavorful. 

100% Caputo Pizzeria
58% Water
0.1% Cake yeast
2% Salt

Hand mixed/kneaded.  Bulk for 2 hrs and balled for another 24 hrs at 65F.

Dear Bakeshack, this is great accomplishment. Thank you!
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »
Beautiful.....

May I ask which oven you baked it in?
Paolo

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
Marlon.  That margarita looks exceptional!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »
Marlon.  That margarita looks exceptional!

Beautiful.....

May I ask which oven you baked it in?

Dear Bakeshack, this is great accomplishment. Thank you!

Thank you, Omid and Chau! 

Mangia Pizza,thanks! I baked it in my homemade oven.

Marlon

Offline pizza dr

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 07:44:16 PM »
Marlon those look awesome.  I really like that "micro" leoparding.  What do you attribute that to?

Scot

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 07:51:15 PM »
Marlon those look awesome.  I really like that "micro" leoparding.  What do you attribute that to?

Scot

I would say perfect dough making skills and a balanced oven!

John

Offline fornographer

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 08:16:42 PM »
SHEESH! These have got to be one of the most beautiful pies I've seen on this forum.  These are just incredible!

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »

Scot

IMHO and experience, it depends on several factors but the most important for me is the dough.  Getting the dough properly developed with enough air "trapped" inside the gluten structure before you start the fermentation process.  I have been hand kneading for quite some time now with my pizza dough and I really like the results that I have gotten so far.  With hand kneading, I get a much better feel for the dough and how soft it becomes as you develop it.  You will see that the dough is well aerated and feels light after the kneading process.  It actually takes me almost the same time to develop the dough using my hands as you would with a mixer.  It's definitely worth a try.  It's therapeutic for me.   :D

Also, I get these micro blistering if I have a really large fire inside the oven while baking and, if I get the timing of the dough right while it is at its prime.  If I use it before, I still get too much "browning" and less prominent leoparding while if I use it too late, I get the larger bubbles that blow up and burn and the leopard spots will be larger.   That being said, the dough has a good 4-6 hr window at least at its prime, maybe more.  The large fire is needed to get the blistering (those spots that actually pop up around the crust).  I have tried baking the same dough with a smaller fire and the spots do not get blistered and you just see it around the crust.  

Also, I noticed that I get these with at least a 24 hr dough (whether I use cake yeast or sourdough).  

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 08:47:00 PM »
I would say perfect dough making skills and a balanced oven!

John

:-D  You are too kind!  You must be referring to Craig and Omid!

SHEESH! These have got to be one of the most beautiful pies I've seen on this forum.  These are just incredible!

Thank you very much!  
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:49:48 PM by bakeshack »

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:56 PM »
Marlon, fantastic job on the pies! Reminds me very much of what I saw in Naples this summer. Can you elaborate on your hand mixing/ kneading technique?

Russ
Russ

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »
Marlon, fantastic job on the pies! Reminds me very much of what I saw in Naples this summer. Can you elaborate on your hand mixing/ kneading technique?

Russ

Thanks, Russ!  With regards to my hand mixing technique, I should document it next time with pics or video to illustrate better.  But here's a basic step by step guide. 

1)  Put all of the water in the bowl except, maybe, 1/2 to 1 cup (depending on the volume of the dough).  Dissolve yeast in the bowl with water.
2)  Dissolve the salt in the 1/2 cup water
3)  Add about 80% of the flour in the bowl, then, the 1/2 cup salt water and mix.  It should be pretty easy to incorporate since this will be fairly wet at this point.  I do this to avoid any lumps forming at this stage. 
4)  Once everything is incorporated, I add the remaining flour in batches (I don't measure the flour being added at this point).  I usually just get 1-2 handfuls every time. 
5)  Turn the dough over onto a countertop (flour side down) and knead.  To knead, I make a series of small folds with the dough and pressing the dough out using my knuckles, then fold again, then press again, then add flour as needed. I make sure the the bottom is well floured all the time so the dough won't stick to the countertop.  I keep repeating the process until I feel that the dough cannot take anymore flour.  It usually takes me about 5 mins to do this.  The dough looks shaggy and dry at this point but keep doing the folding process and the dough will come together without any lumps.  The dough will clean the countertop and your hands.
6)  I continue the folding and pressing of the dough until I get medium gluten development (another 2 mins or so).  At this point, the dough should be one cohesive mass, not yet smooth on the top when balled but getting there. 
7)  I give the dough a 20 min rest on the countertop covered with plastic wrap or damp cloth or the mixing bowl. 
8)  After the rest period, the dough becomes relaxed and much smoother and stronger.  I perform a series of slap and folds (maybe 4 times) then rest again for about 5 mins.  Repeat process then form into a smooth ball. 
9)  At this point, the dough is ready for bulk fermentation.  It should be smooth when balled tightly without any lumps or rough spots.

I highly recommend this technique especially for home use because it helps you develop the "feel" for the dough, which is the most important tool that you can have when managing fermentation.

Marlon

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »
Marlon - we have the exact same mixing technique. It still amazes me how, after the second slap and fold session, how smooth the Caputo dough ball is. And how I have not used a mixer for NP pizza in ages.

John

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 08:07:51 AM »
Very nice job Marlon.

Matt

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 11:00:53 AM »
Very nice job Marlon.

Matt

Thank you, Matt!  

Marlon - we have the exact same mixing technique. It still amazes me how, after the second slap and fold session, how smooth the Caputo dough ball is. And how I have not used a mixer for NP pizza in ages.

John

John, I love the technique specifically for NP pizza.  The rest period really helps it along as well and the slap and fold technique really does a great job trapping air inside the dough and makes it feel light after.  I have not used a mixer in anything I've made for a long time.  It broke down on me and I realized that I never really needed it.  Our hands are the best tools, although, I made a few 20-lb batches for large parties and, I would have to say that those were the only times when I really needed a mixer.   :-D  

Marlon
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:02:34 AM by bakeshack »

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 05:56:45 PM »
Marlon,

One final question: after your 24 hour 65 degree ferment do you bring the dough balls to ambient temp? I.e. 74-78 degrees?  If so for how long? I got a 1 lb chunk of Red Star CY on Thu and your recipe is like divine intervention!  Surprised at the 58% hydration. Can't wait to try. My version will be with the Assistent mixer. I'll try and post a video. Watching the mixer is very addicting!

John

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 06:43:04 PM »
Marlon,

One final question: after your 24 hour 65 degree ferment do you bring the dough balls to ambient temp? I.e. 74-78 degrees?  If so for how long? I got a 1 lb chunk of Red Star CY on Thu and your recipe is like divine intervention!  Surprised at the 58% hydration. Can't wait to try. My version will be with the Assistent mixer. I'll try and post a video. Watching the mixer is very addicting!

John

I bake it straight although once I start baking, the dough balls will be exposed to around 70-80F temp with no problem. 

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
Marlon,

thank you for your detailed response on your hand mixing technique. I will be trying it next weekend and will be looking forward to the results.

Russ
Russ

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2012, 10:37:03 PM »
Good luck and please post your results here! 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 02:03:30 PM »
marlon, those really look authentic. i tried the same proofing regime yesterday and got very lite,flavorful pizza. thanks for posting your method!!

pizzapan