Author Topic: Cake Yeast Dough  (Read 15099 times)

Online bakeshack

Re: Cake Yeast Dough
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
Very impressive yet again. I'm an avid DYI'er, probably to a fault. I'd like to use your concept in the future when I add a WFO to my arsenal. That's in the future though, other priorities lie ahead of me now.  :chef:

Isn't that a WFO in your avatar? 

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 09:37:19 PM »
It is... er... was. I made the cob oven last year and have since moved. It wasn't efficient enough so I decided to donate it back to the mud instead of taking it with me. Fun experience, but will do something more like your oven next time. When I go back to Neo I'm going to do it right.

Josh

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 11:10:22 PM »
It wasn't efficient enough so I decided to donate it back to the mud instead of taking it with me.  When I go back to Neo I'm going to do it right.

JD,
I like your style....ashes to ashes.  ;D
When you get back, I know it will be right....jack!  8)
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 11:40:12 PM »
great looking pies!!  just a few questiones, how are you able to keep your dough at a specfic tempeture?  Where do you get your cake yeast?

Thank you

Vincent

Online bakeshack

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »
great looking pies!!  just a few questiones, how are you able to keep your dough at a specfic tempeture?  Where do you get your cake yeast?

Thank you

Vincent

During this winter season, I just keep the dough in my kitchen countertop where the temperature is between 60-62F.  During the summer months, I use a large cooler with 2 or 3 ice packs to keep the temp at around 60F. 

I buy my cake yeast at my local deli/bakery.  I am very lucky to live very close to an Italian deli/bakery where I buy almost all of my supplies.

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »
Hi, I live in Orange County CA, would you happen to know where I can buy some cake yeast?
I really would like to give it a try.

Thanks,
              Vince

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2013, 09:37:28 PM »
Hi, I live in Orange County CA, would you happen to know where I can buy some cake yeast?

Thanks,
              Vince

Many grocery stores carry it. It will be in a refrigerated section.
Pizza is not bread.

Online bakeshack

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2013, 09:48:52 PM »

Thanks,
              Vince

Have you been to Cortina's Italian Market in Anaheim?  They will sell you some cake yeast. 

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 11:24:18 PM »
Thanks guys, yes Cortinas also Claros I, just never thought to use cake yeast until l saw your post.
Im going to try your recipe mabe this weekend.

Thanks again,

Vince

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2013, 11:54:11 AM »
Hi,

just have another question, in step four you say to add the remaining flour, but then as I read more it seems you are adding more as you knead the dough ball.  So I wonder how much flour is really being used? 

I tried it last night and it seem to be very dry, I could not fold and stretch it even when I let it rest.  I used the dough calculator so maybe the amounts were wrong?  dont know just trying to figure it out. 

Thanks,  Vince

Online bakeshack

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2013, 12:52:06 PM »
During that step, I add the remaining flour from the formula in batches (maybe 1/4 cup or so) so I don't get a large amount of dry flour into the dough.  Even if you did add all of the remaining flour, just keep kneading by making a small fold and pressing with your knuckles and it should come together after a few mins.  You might find it easier to do this on a countertop and put the flour underneath the dough being kneaded.  This way, if you think the dough is getting too dry, just remove it from the flour underneath and keep kneading on a separate area. 

Also, the stretch/slap and fold process should only be done after the 20 min rest when you have already incorporated all of the flour and the dough has already relaxed a bit.  Finally, feel free to adjust based on what you feel with the dough during the kneading process.  There really is no set formula.  It all depends on how the dough feels like.  If you think the dough is getting too dry, don't add all of the flour and vice versa.  I would prefer to not let the dough get too dry because it is much harder to incorporate additional water than flour in the dough especially using your hands. 

Btw, are you using Caputo or some other 00 brand? 

Offline vincentoc13

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
I'm using caputo (red bag.)  epic failure with the dough last night! I think too much cake yeast, Ive got some Issues with my digital scale, I have the MY Weigh kd 8000, when i set it to grams it does not have the capability of showing tenths. 

The bulk process was no problem, so I then balled the dough then went to bed. Woke up the next morning to find a lot of activity in the dough, thought to my self this isn't going to be good, being that I wasn't going to start making pizza till 6:30 pm. Well needless to say by then, way to much activity with no rise when I put the pizza on the deck (780 degrees) 

do you have any experience with this type of scale? I do like the bakers % feature, whats the saying "when all else fails, read the directions"

Online bakeshack

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
I'm using caputo (red bag.)  epic failure with the dough last night! I think too much cake yeast, Ive got some Issues with my digital scale, I have the MY Weigh kd 8000, when i set it to grams it does not have the capability of showing tenths. 

The bulk process was no problem, so I then balled the dough then went to bed. Woke up the next morning to find a lot of activity in the dough, thought to my self this isn't going to be good, being that I wasn't going to start making pizza till 6:30 pm. Well needless to say by then, way to much activity with no rise when I put the pizza on the deck (780 degrees) 

do you have any experience with this type of scale? I do like the bakers % feature, whats the saying "when all else fails, read the directions"

I had the same issues when I was starting to make pizza.  IMO, the most difficult part of this process is managing the fermentation so the dough balls are ready when you need them and can still be used hours after you are done. 

How much dough do you usually make?  I also do not use a scale capable of measuring less than 1g.  I usually make dough requiring a little more than 1g so it's not an issue for me but if you need to use less than that, you can mix for example 90gr of water and 10gr of cake yeast. If you need 0.5gr of yeast, just take 5gr of the water/yeast mixture and add that to your formula.  Just make sure you adjust the water in your original formula so it does not mess up your hydration.  Also, make sure that you dissolve the yeast thoroughly to ensure even distribution and mix it again right before adding it to your dough.  You can scale the water/yeast mixture down if you want but I think using a larger amount is more accurate.

Also, how do you keep the dough at 60-65F? 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2013, 12:55:52 PM »
I had some old CY and wanted to try a 30 hour cool ferment because I want to be like Marlon and Craig when I grow up.   ;D  I kept the dough at mostly 65F but had to slow down fermentation for a few hours until the oven was ready, so they were in the fridge for 2 hours.  I just need to adjust the amount of CY.  

Texture on these turned out great.  Pics taken on my samsung cell phone.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2013, 12:57:52 PM »
a few more pics

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »
WOW. What was the bake time on these? Flour?

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
You are the undisputed glactic master of the cornicione. Heck, I think we should petition the Italian government to change the name to chaunicione. I think that's what I'm going to call it from now on.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »
I always like how Chau is willing to sacrifice anything just for the sake of an informative pic....although I'm sure this one still ate quite well....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online bakeshack

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2013, 02:48:18 PM »
Those are awesome, Chau!  The crumb is just perfect!  How much yeast did you use? 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2013, 02:59:04 PM »
I always like how Chau is willing to sacrifice anything just for the sake of an informative pic....although I'm sure this one still ate quite well....

That's may be the best way to taste a NP pie. Sometimes when I'm experimenting, I might make a dozen or so maranara pies, fold them up like that - al libretto - take a bite or two and then on to the next variant.
Pizza is not bread.