Author Topic: Cake Yeast Dough  (Read 17440 times)

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
Re: Cake Yeast Dough
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2013, 07:13:59 PM »

I couldn't tell you. It's been years since I used a pyrometer.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2013, 09:54:50 PM »
Damn.  That *is* the perfect undercrust.  Bravo.  

The pies in the opening post look fantastic.  They really are some of the best I have seen on the forum.  That's a very very nice job.

Thank you, David.  I'm sorry to disappoint you but the undercrust picture I posted above is not mine.  I merely posted it to illustrate the ideal look for my taste.  I wish I could achieve that undercrust myself. 

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2013, 03:10:48 PM »
last nights pizza from my forno bravo oven. i did a 24 hour 65% caputo. 2 hours bulk then balled at 265 grams.i let it come to room temperature 3 hours. i used my vertical cutter mixer and the flour hydrated nicely and was very easy to work with.the oven floor was at 900 degrees and my bottoms were a little light in color we did 38 pies and the temperature out side was 25 degrees so that may have had something to do with the light bottoms.

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2013, 04:07:44 PM »
Larry,

Beautiful pies! I am wondering how long the dough was exposed to the 25 degree temps before firing? Also how long was the bake time on those pies? The tops look perfect!

And I am sure that your guests would have no earthly idea that those bottoms might be considered "light"!

Were there any other variables that could account for the lighter bottoms?

Thank You,

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2013, 08:27:40 PM »
I usually give the floor three hours to heat Sunday only two . The floor showed 900 degrees but because it wasn't saturated I do not think it was able to recover. The finished pizza is out in the elements for only 15 to 20 seconds

Offline Serpentelli

• Supporting Member
    • Bat Man vs. The Penguin
« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
Larry,

Thanks!

John K
I'm not wearing hockey pads!

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2013, 07:13:34 PM »
Those are perfect bottoms.
It looks like the oven floor is just sitting on the metal bed.
Any insulation under the oven ?

Perry

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
 it is a 5 inch deep metal tub. 2 inch iso board. 1 inch of solid flue 2 inch refractory floor.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2013, 10:28:29 PM »
 the oberlin weather was in the 60's today .three hours oven heat got my floor to 875 where i kept it until my final pie which i cranked the oven up to 950 floor and a roaring fire.the last pie was a 45 second job.
 my dough routine is 65 % hydration 2.8 salt 1 ounce of yeast for 15 pounds of flour. 45 seconds in my vcm. 1 hour bulk then 265 gram balls. i put them away as soon as i am done with all of the dough.it goes in and the cooler takes time to get the dough down to temp. on sunday  i bring it out at 1:00 to room rise for service at 4:00. i think that my 45 second pie cooked alright but a craig 45 second pie looks much more balanced .that is the advantage to the italian ovens.or craigs ability :chef:
   my truck was dropped 2 feet off of a lift when i was having maintenance done last year.i had it repaired this winter thru the service centers insurance. bricked all the way around the bottom foe a better finished look. from 24 inches the front of the body had to be completely replaced. the oven sustained a external crack but the dome and floor were, and are are still perfect!!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2013, 10:30:10 PM »
side view of the masons work

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2013, 02:11:41 AM »
Got a chance to try Omid's trick of using a metal plate to keep the floor cool until I was ready to launch.  It seemed to help out quit a bit.  Only did a few high temp pies but was able to avoid bottom burning. I can see Larry's point of the floor staying cooler if you are cooking multiple pies back to back. 

Chau
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:04:02 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2013, 10:00:23 AM »
going to try his method tonight. i'll put three 16 inch pans in my oven at highest oven heat to see if i can temper the bottoms.if it works it would be a good way to regulate the floor when down time makes it spike.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Got a chance to try Omid's trick of using a metal plate to keep the floor cool until I was ready to launch.  It seemed to help out quit a bit.  Only did a few high temp pies but was able to avoid bottom burning. I can see Larry's point of the floor staying cooler if you are cooking multiple pies back to back. 

Chau
Mr. Tran Man,
Glad to hear this "trick" is working for you....if you don't mind, could you please be a bit more specific as to the type of "metal plate" that you've found to be benificial with the faaantastic pie's you continue to crank out there at your beautiful La Casa?   Thanks!!

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2013, 01:50:24 PM »
Bob, the one I use is a cheap thin metal pizza baking plate that I got at walmart.  It is perforated and used for baking frozen pizzas.   I also have several round 16" pizza cutting plates that would work as well too.  I'm not sure if these are thin steel or aluminum.  B/c there is a lip on these I turned it over so that it sits on the lip and there is an air gap between the floor and the plate. 

Chau

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2013, 10:57:51 AM »
100% Caputo Pizzeria
66% Water
0.04% Cake yeast
2.8% Salt

Hand kneaded.  Bulk fermented for 12 hours, balled for 28 hrs at 60F.  The dough balls, IMO, needed another 4 hrs 

Marlon, was the bulk at 60F as well? If so, 44 hours at 60F with 0.04% CY is less than half the fermentation time I would have expected? In contrast, 26 hours for 0.1%CT at 65F in your original post here is almost exactly what I would expect.
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan