Author Topic: Tonight, everything clicked  (Read 5193 times)

Offline I Have Feet

Re: Tonight, everything clicked
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 02:09:37 PM »
Hi Jbravo, thanks so much for your reply and your compliments.  I was also a bit surprised at how much I was able to bring down my bake times.  I think I've lucked out with a hot oven.  I'm at work right now so I can't tell you the exact model, but it's a cheap General Electric.  Basically the type you'd expect in a rental apartment.  I think the fact that's it's low end may actually be to my benefit as it runs a bit hot.  The dial only goes to 500, then the broil setting, but I've checked the temps with a thermocouple probe and it runs maybe 25 degrees hot.  However I took those temps with the dial set to 400, the thermocouple I have maxes out at 500 (bought it for use with smoking on the barbecue, no need for high temps) so I can't say for sure how hot it runs when set to max.

I have not done any mods to the oven but I do use a rack lined with foil to trap the heat in the top of the oven with the broiler.  It gets hot enough that I can't hold my hand in for more than a couple of seconds.  Again, can't tell you exactly what temps I'm looking at.  I'd like to get an infrared thermometer at some point to measure the cast iron temps but I don't have one yet.

I will take some pics of the oven when I'm home, and try to find the manual to check the specific model.

At Craig's suggestion I plan on starting a new thread where I document my whole process and experiments in more detail.  However I've been taking a break from pizza for a few weeks as all my experimenting has made my jeans a little tight. :(

Hope that helps for now.

Brendan

Offline Jbravo

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 02:26:49 PM »
 Thanks, Brendan. Look forward to seeing your new thread.

Offline I Have Feet

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 12:31:40 AM »
Hi folks,

I know this thread is very old and that I kind of vanished back when I was just starting to get some good results and others were asking questions about my process. Back then it was suggested that I start a new thread documenting my process in more detail so I just wanted to mention that I'm back at it and I've started a thread over in the Neapolitan section of the forums. Check it out! :)

Brendan

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2013, 02:03:49 AM »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.